Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant get my computer to boot. There is too many pages for me to look through but i did update helper rebooted ran the update then restarted but cannot boot now. I am just stuck at apple screen. I have restarted several time and tried booting with -x and iboot. no luck so far. I did set up the lion installer partition already dont think that will do anything though. Can anyone help?

DMouse said:
Anyone have printer problems after the 10.6.8 update? My Brother HL 2140 laser goes into pause mode and doesn't print.

Yes. After point update to 10.6.8, I have the same problem with my Brother HL 2150N. I hope someone has a solution.

can anyone point me to the fix for people who have the 5770? It stays on loading screen but i can view it through screenshare on my macbook

I got OSX installed using the guide. When doing the update however, it tells me to run multibeast before rebooting. Problem is, after the update my screen fades a box come up making me restart by holding the power button. I cannot switch to the multibeast file. What am I doing wrong?

Hey all,
Search though some of the thread sections of the issues your having. Some of these items have been touched on by other users and most have been solved.
Some are a simple as rolling back Apple HDA for sound and turning of Graphics enabler for unsupported cards now in 10.6.8 and Loin.

10.6.8 did a lot of changes and dropped support for some items a lot of us use so search through and see what you can dig up.

If search fails you or you have a new issue please create a new thread in the right section as it will get better views then in this thread line.

Remember if you had 10.6.7 working fine then it's probably something that has been covered here for a fix.

Arouet said:
This is in response to the post from s0bv earlier.

Here's a pretty extensive post on that subject. Check it out: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27574
Yeah that's why I posted what I did. I went back through several pages and see a lot of the stuff that has been touched upon. :D

eelhead said:
Hey all,
Search though some of the thread sections of the issues your having. Some of these items have been touched on by other users and most have been solved.
Some are a simple as rolling back Apple HDA for sound and turning of Graphics enabler for unsupported cards now in 10.6.8 and Loin.

10.6.8 did a lot of changes and dropped support for some items a lot of us use so search through and see what you can dig up.

If search fails you or you have a new issue please create a new thread in the right section as it will get better views then in this thread line.

Remember if you had 10.6.7 working fine then it's probably something that has been covered here for a fix.

Can you point me in the direction for my problem. I have looked through about 30 pages in this thread and found nothing and I am not allowed to post in the software update forum

My experience with 10.6.8:

Foolishly installed combo update from 10.6.7 without consulting tonymac forums. KP before update finished. Restarted with Finder unresponsive. Installed via terminal. System booted no KP. GREAT JOB.....but upon another reboot the dreaded PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN arose.

Possible work arounds attempted:
all relevant possible boot flags....npci=xxxxxx....DSDT=no.....etc.
using iboot
using iboot to access install disk to access terminal to manually install Family fix kexts.
swapping graphics cards.
attempting to boot with no graphics card.
safe mode.
Accessing Mac partition through windows side to manually transfer kexts.
and so on.

What finally worked for me:

I had to freshly reinstall OSX using Gordo's guide. (thanks man, great guide) I only lost 500 GB of media...no big deal. :banghead: Now I will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS back my data up. It really is the golden rule....

I recommend: Save yourself the time and frustraton and simply reinstall osx. Hopefully, you backed up your data. Read 10.6.8 THE OFFICIAL THREAD, Tonys first post. Read any guide that suits your build. make sure you install the family fix and the new graphics drivers. use newest versions of multibeast and iboot.

Its as simple as that! :think:

eddiemads said:
My experience with 10.6.8:

Foolishly installed combo update from 10.6.7 without consulting tonymac forums. KP before update finished. Restarted with Finder unresponsive. Installed via terminal. System booted no KP. GREAT JOB.....but upon another reboot the dreaded PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN arose.

Possible work arounds attempted:
all relevant possible boot flags....npci=xxxxxx....DSDT=no.....etc.
using iboot
using iboot to access install disk to access terminal to manually install Family fix kexts.
swapping graphics cards.
attempting to boot with no graphics card.
safe mode.
Accessing Mac partition through windows side to manually transfer kexts.
and so on.

What finally worked for me:

I had to freshly reinstall OSX using Gordo's guide. (thanks man, great guide) I only lost 500 GB of media...no big deal. :banghead: Now I will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS back my data up. It really is the golden rule....

I recommend: Save yourself the time and frustraton and simply reinstall osx. Hopefully, you backed up your data. Read 10.6.8 THE OFFICIAL THREAD, Tonys first post. Read any guide that suits your build. make sure you install the family fix and the new graphics drivers. use newest versions of multibeast and iboot.

Its as simple as that! :think:

I have reinstalled a few times and still no luck. I know its something with the graphics card since I can view the computer from my macbook. I want to find a permanant fix though not having to type in boot flags on every boot. I just need a link to a guide with my build (i5 2500k, asus p8p67, xfx5770) i have looked but to no avail and dont have all day to be searching through pages and pages of forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back