Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read up, watched videos, made all necessary boot disks and dl'ed all necessary files, etc..was going to give this a go in the morning..

then i flipped to the last few pages of this thread about problems regarding 10.6.8 and now i'm not so sure..

a few posts up..tony suggested to update to 10.6.7 then clone the drive and try to update on that drive? - could someone elaborate on/outline that process as it seems to have worked flawlessly for tony and a few other users?

thanks in advance!

Just did mine...

Ran the update (knowing that I'd have to update the drivers for the GTX470 which I promptly overlooked) and restarted.

Odviously, it locked up

Rebooted with the recent iBoot, booted OSX and it worked in 1024. Installed the new nvidia's, did the audio rollback to be sure and rebooted.

Came up fine but cinebench reported an GL score of 7. Re-edited AGPM.kext Mac Pro 5.1 section, inserted proper device-id, rebooted and voila.

Ready for Lion !

Just update with 10.6.8 combo. No problem at all.

Now waiting for Lion to roar!

I updated to 10.6.8 without a hitch. installed combo update, ran multibeast, rebooted. I had to fix audio as usual. 10 minutes done! :thumbup:

Attachments

• update.tiff
    63.7 KB · Views: 245
is hdmi port enabled for gts 250 in 10.6.8?

ASUS P5L-VM1394
Pentium D 925
3GB Ram
500GB Sata HDD
MSI Geforce 8500GT 256MB
DVDRW Sata

Updated 10.6.8 via combo update, then installing the legacy 10.6.8 Kernel, after restart boot up with boot flags -v npci=0x2000, it will kernel panic, restart again with the same flags only add -x and load safemode, once into the desktop. install the 10.6.7 ACPI/PCI Kexts using Kext Wizard. repair permissions, and reboot. All Done, fully working everything OOB 64Bit! :D

I am getting a kernel panic error can anyone assist?
kernelpanic.jpg

tonymacx86 said:
Another way to do it is clone your existing Snow Leopard drive- then boot to that- and update via the other install. That method is guaranteed not to cause KP. :thumbup:
Tony
Help how to create a clone
How do I make a clone?

cecotto said:
tonymacx86 said:
Another way to do it is clone your existing Snow Leopard drive- then boot to that- and update via the other install. That method is guaranteed not to cause KP. :thumbup:
Tony
How do I make a clone?

http://www.bombich.com/

absurdio said:
cecotto said:
tonymacx86 said:
Tony
How do I make a clone?

You do the clone your working drive or partition to a separate HD or partition before you update. Carbon Copy cloner is very useful because there are a few different ways you can deal with the clone that are much easier then dealing with Time Machine. Time Machine is more useful when dealing with document problems and day to day stuff and CCC is better for catastrophic problems when updating. Good luck C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back