Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
aberracus said:
Ok, My XFX 5770 is the one that works with the "new" imac drivers from 10.6.7, there are 2 XFX 5770s one doesn't, i think the people having issues with the xfx 5770 in 10.6.8 are the ones with the other card - the one that worked with the normal 10.6.7 drivers -, mine is HD577XZMF3, and it worked perfect with the new drivers from 10.6.8. (Cinebench 11.5 64bits 46 FPS).

My upgrade to 10.6.8 was terrible, i installed the combo update in my second disk "backup install" with 10.6.7, i'm in Sandy Bridge with dsdt and speedstep on, so before installing i installed nullcpu in extra of my "backup disk", rebooted again in that system and applied the combo update, the installed borked in mid operation when it was moving components, KP, and restart, the system restarted into the desktop without finder, finder was in a non working loop. Had to reinstall 10.6.8 Combo update from my "normal" 10.6.7 disk targeting the Backup disk, restarted in the backup system, applied applehda rollback and new fakesmc and fakesmc plugins from Multibeast 3.7.3 (it installed NVClockXXX.kext by itself i deleted it), deleted extensions.mkext from extra (sometimes its presence gives KP in some machines at boot) and restarted, system worked very good.
Then from my backup disk installed combo update in the "norma" disk and then restarted and applied Multibeast 3.7.3 (exactly as in the backup disk). So i have audio and running with the 10.6.8 ATi drivers.

Some questions:

1- Why is NVClockxx.kext being autoinstalled?
2- Do we need extensions.mkext in extra?
3- My 5770 now is read in system profiler as ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, before the upgrade was ATI Radeon 5770. is that ok?
4 - The MOST IMPORTANT, what we need to do to install 10.6.8 without having a Kernel Panic in mid installation of the combo update?. NullCpu in extra didn't worked.

Thanks!!!!
I agree with your request

GA-X58A-UD7 with a XFX 6870 BE double fan version upgraded to 10.6.8 and got no sound. Ran Multibeast with AppleHDA Rollback+System Utilities restart and got sound back. All seems normal. :headbang:

Ok I dont care about updating to 10.6.8

REPEAT

I JUST WANT TO ROLL BACK TO 10.6.7 !!!

I am thinking i can take out the drive
hook it up to my macbook pro and see it s an external drive

and remove some kext files?

If so what and EXACTLY where would those be?

Again I just want to roll back to 10.6.7 and NOT ever update to 10.6.8
or at least until I have a time machine back up of my 10.6.7

Thank you and much appreciated :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Everything OK here, updated with Combo Update and restore AppleHDA.

Updated using Software Update then rolled back audio with multibeast and
everything is working great.

Thanks everyone one for all the great support and hard work.

installed 10.6.8 but updated the nvidia drivers afterwards lost my cuda processing need help.......

All good here. I have an 1tb drive partitioned 500/500. One (HackCCCBack), a bootable clone (don't forget to add a boot-loader), the other half (HackTMBack), for Time Machine back-up of my users account.

I would never have tried to install an update without a clone. I booted into HackCCBack an installed the update, added the rollback audio and rebooted (64 bit). Everything worked as expected. I then over wrote HackCCCBack with my main drive (SnowLeopard10.6.7), installed the update on SnowLeopard drive and so far, its all good. I'll test it for a few weeks before updating the HackCCCBack drive. BTW, I LOVE Carbon-Copy-Cloner, not even sure why I have a TM drive?

Has anyone noticed in 64 bit that the memory doesn't show-up in System Profiler?, not for me at least...

Broke the Audio but its an 889 so an easy fix.

100% working.

Do you have multiple drives hooked up? I've had issues after updates and not been able to boot even with iBoot or in safe mode. I unhooked drives 2 & 3 and booted with iBoot. I fixed the problem re hooked up the extra hd's, plugged in all of my usb crap and everything is fine. Good luck, C

P67A-UD5-B3 with 10.6.8 update successfully (64 bit kernel)

Hi everyone,

Re-try 50 times and get rid of the installation with 10.6.8 running in 64 bit.
My config are:
P67A-UD5-B3
i7-2600k
16GB RAM
GTX 480
160GB - HD1
8x 64GB SSD (Raid 0) with Intel 3520 Raid Card - HD2 (No driver installed, OSX auto detected)
PCI Firewire 800 Card
PCIe WiFi card

I strongly suggested anyone of you using 2 HDs to do installation with 10.6.8 combo update. If you use one HD, you will be clogged at 10.6.8 combo update after kext panic and your toy will never boot up again (iboot, -x, -v doesn't work, perhaps I am stupid)

What I get it works..

Clean install 10.6.3 with iboot 3.1 with HD1
Install 10.6.7 combo update
Clone to HD2 with CCC
boot to HD1
Install 10.6.8 combo update to HD2 (no kext panic at all, full installation completed)
replace 2 kexts from 10.6.7 attached (ACPI config error something, clogged at Apple logo)
MB 3.7.3 to HD2 (User DSDT, aml, ALC8xxHDA.kext, HDAenabler 889, FakeSMC, IOACHIBlockStorageInjector, bootloader etc)
P8P67SATAControllers to extra folder (attached, fix for unknown devices with GSATA or whatsoever in system profinder)
Run system repair from MB to HD2
reboot HD 2 with fingercross!

Install Nvidia fermi official driver at HD2 (I tried to install from HD1 to HD2. First I needed to use pacifist but in vain, Install again in HD2 it works)
Edit com.apple.boot.plist (delete arch=i386) make it for 64bit
Reboot and done!

This made me for days to fix it. I nearly give up but the last attempt.... success! I hope it can help.

Attachments

• attached.zip
    516.1 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back