Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwood said:
Try this guide of mine
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=263784

So last night at tried your steps, with great hope. Sadly I ended up with an "apple gray load screen" with no spinning wheel. I tried to boot with the iBoot Legacy disk in too, and got the same gray apple screen after waiting for like 10 minutes for it to load.

HoochShepherd said:
For what it's worth, I realize that some people don't need bridge helper anymore but thats not true for everyone. I, for one, can't update to 10.6.7 with out it. :S I also need iboot legacy though.

Yeah, for stuff before 10.6.8 sandy bridge is still not supported, so Bridge Helper would be needed, I totally agree.
--
Right now I'm just sitting at 10.6.3 where it's nice and safe, so I can play Starcraft II with friends tonight.

For now, the more I read about the IOHDIXController.kext the more it sounds like the culprit. Anybody else got any solutions, or combinations of ideas already presented that might work? Seriously, thanks for all the interest and help so far!

fixxxer2012 said:
I cannot boot into osx at all. Even with iboot. Am i screwed here?

Gotta give more information than that. Screenshots would be helpful too. Backing it up is always wise too but it's a bit late for that now.

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm having issues installing the combo update 10.6.8.

I am following the instructions using this guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

However, instead of using a DVD I'm using a USB drive.

I have managed to successfully install 10.6. I've been booted into OSX and it's useable (heck, the webcam was even working!)

However, when I install the 10.6.8 update the install process gets about a minute from the end ("Moving files") and the computer then freezes, goes grey and a box with 5 different languages appears saying "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic?)

Can anyone help me with this? It's the second time it has happened now.

I restarted and attempted to boot, but I get stuck on a black screen during boot telling me that Hibernate image file is too old by {insert random number here} seconds. I've pressed enter and boot continues, but stays stuck on the grey screen with the Apple logo, and the spinning thing below it. At first HHD activity is high but then it settles down to no activity, with occasional. short (2 second) bursts.

Everything was going so, so well, I have no idea why this is happening!

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT 1 - Okay, I've done a bit of research. It appears that the "retail dvd" that you are supposed to use is infact 10.6.3- is this correct? The image I had on my HD, and therefore the image I'm using for this project, is bog-standard 10.6.0.
Do you think the process is freaking out because I'm trying to go from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.8

It's possible, but I can tell you from experience 6.8 is a problematic install at best. I had to do a combo update to .7 then do the standalone to .8...

HoochShepherd said:
It's possible, but I can tell you from experience 6.8 is a problematic install at best. I had to do a combo update to .7 then do the standalone to .8...

Bugger.

I've dug out my sisters retail copy of Leopard and after a clean install, OSX is telling me that only 10.6 is installed....I'm pretty sure the computer was purchased well into Snow Leopard's lifecycle, which would mean it would contain the 10.6.3 update, no?

Arcalis said:
HoochShepherd said:

Bugger.

I've dug out my sisters retail copy of Leopard and after a clean install, OSX is telling me that only 10.6 is installed....I'm pretty sure the computer was purchased well into Snow Leopard's lifecycle, which would mean it would contain the 10.6.3 update, no?

You mean the install disc only has 6.0 on it? Not sure honestly, I only really did the iboot-retail method starting with 6.7 so no idea what retail discs had when. :S Again though, I would still try to do the installs incrementally. Start with an update to .3 then do a combo to .7. I'm sure if you search the older forums you could find info on pre-.3, but it would be way back.

HoochShepherd said:
Arcalis said:
HoochShepherd said:

Bugger.

You mean the install disc only has 6.0 on it? Not sure honestly, I only really did the iboot-retail method starting with 6.7 so no idea what retail discs had when. :S Again though, I would still try to do the installs incrementally. Start with an update to .3 then do a combo to .7. I'm sure if you search the older forums you could find info on pre-.3, but it would be way back.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried installing from 10.6 to 10.6.3 using the combo update (v1.1) and the same issue- stuck at the last stage when it's attempting to move files.

I will have a search for older posts but I'm not holding out much hope, as it could possibly be due to my hardware.

I'm not sure if this has been covered here. I've read about freezes after updating to 10.6.8 but I think the one I'm having is different.
I have an HP Pavilion dv6 6012 Laptop with Intel Sandy Bridge, so I used the normal iBoot + MultiBeast guide along with this Sandy Bridge guide (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -1068.html). The steps indicated in this guide are the following:
1. Install and configure system using iBoot + MultiBeast
2. Run UpdateHelper
3. Reboot
4. Run 10.6.8 Combo Update
5. Reboot

I've done exactly this (updated successfully) but after rebooting it freezes at the white screen with the grey Apple logo on it. There's nothing I can do from there.
Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks

@Swizzie, I have no idea if this will work. I seem to have been working through the same issue this weekend after having to reinstall snow leopard. Instead of using iBoot, will your system start if the snow leopard install CD is left in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back