1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
just wondering if there is a way to do a mac os 9 hackintosh?

Probably not, OS9 is just for PPC architecture. You could have it but only with a emulator.
If i'm not wrong even the G5 and later G4's could not run OS9.
I had a dual 450mhz G4 that i upgraded to a dual 1.8Ghz and i think i couldn't install OS9 with the upgrade even if i wanted; a thing that i didn't want to do. :)

I think Rosetta went away in OS X 10.7.

Interesting idea, but I suspect Timbck2 is right

Apple Macs prior to G3 ran on Motorola chips and their operating systems came partly built-in on ROMs, and partly on floppy disk.

These days emulators can re-live those olden days fairly easily however building a real OS 9 Hackintosh would be hard.

Part of the problem being those ROMs. Yes, you can create software images of them to run in emulators but a physical machine would need real, genuine hardware ROMs.

There were PCI boards designed to hold these chips fairly easily available - probably still are. Take a look here: www.emulators.com/softmac.htm

However there's is more of a hybrid emulator/VM using genuine components, getting to a full standalone OS 8 (or 9) Hackintosh maybe a step too far. In those days hard-disks were SCSI and Mac floppy disks unreadable by PCs or their hardware. OS 9 didn't make it as far as G3 remember so wasn't even PowerPC. Apple's own "Classic Environment" was an emulator for Motorola on G3/4.

Funnily enough I actually still have two old magazines which explain the OS 8 process (PC Express if anyone remembers it).

I haven't checked recently but the OS 7.5 system was given away as a free upgrade by Apple that allowed you to build the machine. You'd need a genuine OS 9 media set.

Tricky, all of this, but it would be great if someone managed it.

Might just be so much easier to BUY an old Macintosh or iBook G3/G4 and get the whole lot in one nice, easy and relatively cheap bundle!

:)

OS 9 didn't make it as far as G3 remember so wasn't even PowerPC. Apple's own "Classic Environment" was an emulator for Motorola on G3/4.

Just a bunch of geeky details, Mac OS9 made it well into G4's, i remember that even 800mhz G4s came with OS9, as i explained earlier, but you can check the compatibility table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9
Only late G4 machines and late processor upgrades like the ones from Sonnet, Powerlogic and Gigadesigns couldn't run OS9. ;)

Just a bunch of geeky details...

Really? Thanks for the insult...

I didn't check on Wikipedia because I owned both G3 and G4 iBooks. Both switched to Classic Environment from within OS X OR could boot to OS 9 so, you are right OS 9 could run natively on G3 and G4.

Hope you feel good about my error.

I thought the discussion was about building an OS 9 Hackintosh? What I've said was meant to be relevant and trying to figure a way forward for the original poster.

I'll leave it to you big-hitters in future to sort things out. I'm sure you don't need any help...

Really? Thanks for the insult...

I didn't check on Wikipedia because I owned both G3 and G4 iBooks. Both switched to Classic Environment from within OS X OR could boot to OS 9 so, you are right OS 9 could run natively on G3 and G4.

Hope you feel good about my error.

I thought the discussion was about building an OS 9 Hackintosh? What I've said was meant to be relevant and trying to figure a way forward for the original poster.

I'll leave it to you big-hitters in future to sort things out. I'm sure you don't need any help...

Sorry if you take it as an insult or in a agressive tone, i'm not from a english speaking country and i didn't want it to be interpreted like that.
I was just saying that what i was going to write was a bunch of details without real importance, just details that don't change much what was said before.
Sorry :oops:

Sorry if you take it as an insult or in a agressive tone, i'm not from a english speaking country and i didn't want it to be interpreted like that.
I was just saying that what i was going to write was a bunch of details without real importance, just details that don't change much what was said before.
Sorry :oops:

No problem...

I didn't realise English wasn't your first language :)

My turn to apologise for mis-interpreting your words :rolleyes:

The more I think about this - and now I have read the Wikipedia article - I think OS 9.0.3 was the last version to run only on Motorola (?) It seems 9.0.4 had the new G3 capability built in. Quite a big update I guess. My own iBook must have come with OS 9.1 looking at the dates.

Given the limitations it would seem to be a very difficult hackintosh project to create an OS 9 machine. Probably easier just to pick up an old Mac from Ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back