Contribute
Register

low-budget hackintosh to work only with Autodesk Smoke 2013 (trial).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys. This will be my first hackintosh. So far, I'm very confident with the process it takes to make it happen!... So here are my latest concerns (also, I need some confirmation before jump into it, ha ha).

I have to build a low-buget hackintosh to work only with Autodesk Smoke 2013 (trial). (I will not be working in the next starwars film however, just little personal proyects and practicing a lot, but I want to work comfortably So I've started selecting components based on the "CustoMac Pro" from the the Buyer's Guide April 2013.

I have selected:

$238.99 -> GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
$315.88 -> Intel Core i7-3770K
$239.99 -> Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB)
$189.99 -> Intel 520 (primary disk) (not in tonymac's list).

My primary concern comes with the Graphic Card. This are my options:

$485.99 -> GTX 680
$294.99 -> GTX 660 Ti
$645.00 -> Quadro 4000
$718.99 -> Quadro 4000 for Mac

I can certainly spend more money in this area if (1) I can get a better performance in Smoke and (2) have no compatibility issues installing it. In short:

1. Will a Quadro perform better than a GTX for Smoke?
2. If better, Will you go with the Quadro Mac or PC version?
3. Will this system work using an intel 520 series?
4. Will this rig (if you aproved it) work well with Smoke? (I don't need to work with full resolution, I can work with proxy res... or do I need more power?)

What do you think? Any thoughts? I Think I'd like to go the 2011 sockets and six cores route, but I prefer to stay spending less unless extrictly necesary, plus, this configurations are more tested... right?

Hi guys. This will be my first hackintosh. So far, I'm very confident with the process it takes to make it happen!... So here are my latest concerns (also, I need some confirmation before jump into it, ha ha).

I have to build a low-buget hackintosh to work only with Autodesk Smoke 2013 (trial). (I will not be working in the next starwars film however, just little personal proyects and practicing a lot, but I want to work comfortably So I've started selecting components based on the "CustoMac Pro" from the the Buyer's Guide April 2013.

I have selected:

$238.99 -> GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
$315.88 -> Intel Core i7-3770K
$239.99 -> Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB)
$189.99 -> Intel 520 (primary disk) (not in tonymac's list).

My primary concern comes with the Graphic Card. This are my options:

$485.99 -> GTX 680
$294.99 -> GTX 660 Ti
$645.00 -> Quadro 4000
$718.99 -> Quadro 4000 for Mac

Just curious, why are these the only graphics card options you have?

I can certainly spend more money in this area if (1) I can get a better performance in Smoke and (2) have no compatibility issues installing it. In short:

1. Will a Quadro perform better than a GTX for Smoke?

According to Autodesk's website, the Quadro 4000 are the only graphics cards certified for Smoke 2013: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...=22&release=2013&os=134217728&manuf=all&opt=0

2. If better, Will you go with the Quadro Mac or PC version?

I don't know what the differences are between the two - based on the information available on nVidia's website there appears to be only one difference in the hardware, namely the PC version has two DisplayPorts and the Mac version has only one (they both also have one DVI port). The remaining differences appear to be in the software. Again, this is just my interpretation based on information I've been able to find. It would seem logical (to me, anyway) that you'd be better off with the Mac version since you're using it with Mac OS.

3. Will this system work using an intel 520 series?

There should be no problems using that brand/model of SSD.

4. Will this rig (if you aproved it) work well with Smoke? (I don't need to work with full resolution, I can work with proxy res... or do I need more power?)

This rig is more powerful (CPU-wise and GPU-wise) than the most powerful Apple system on their certified hardware list, the iMac 27-inch [Late 2012] (see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...up=22&release=2013&os=134217728&manuf=7&opt=0). So I think it will work well -- again with the caveat that I have no personal experience with Smoke.

I wouldn't really consider this a low-budget hackintosh. I would suspect you will spend at least $1,200... :headbang:

Just curious, why are these the only graphics card options you have?

According to Autodesk's website, the Quadro 4000 are the only graphics cards certified for Smoke 2013: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...=22&release=2013&os=134217728&manuf=all&opt=0

Because, as you quote from autodesk, the Quadro 4000 are the only graphic card recommended by autodesk, and in regard for the GTX line, the GTX 680 is almost top of the line and the 660 Ti seems to have a good price.

Of course other alternatives are welcome.

And normally, I would go with Autodesk's recommendation for the Quadro 4000. But, that graphic card seems too old, and maybe, just maybe, the latest GTX outperform or equal the Quadro for less money. That's the question...

It would seem logical (to me, anyway) that you'd be better off with the Mac version since you're using it with Mac OS.

While I agree with your thinking, in the other hand, isn't just a little odd to put a MAC card in a PC motherboard (will this even work?) when all the components are PC. I mean, in such scenario the MAC card will be the estrange corpse to deal with... I don't know how much trouble this will cause if any, or how this will be handled at all...

I wouldn't really consider this a low-budget hackintosh. I would suspect you will spend at least $1,200...

I was comparing this rig with multiple xeons, hence I was labeling it as 'low-budget'. But yes, to be honest, I should re-categorize it within the 'single processor category', so now I'll rank it as mid-budget :D (Plus, I have to import, somehow, all this stuff to my country... damn!)

While I agree with your thinking, in the other hand, isn't just a little odd to put a MAC card in a PC motherboard (will this even work?) when all the components are PC. I mean, in such scenario the MAC card will be the estrange corpse to deal with... I don't know how much trouble this will cause if any, or how this will be handled at all...

Mac card on a PC mainboard will work. After all, it has to work with Windows bootcamped on a Mac, right? The difference is in the firmware - the Mac card firmware is optimized to work with the Mac mainboard architecture. The PC card will work just as well as the Mac card on a PC mainboard, so no need to spend the extra $$ for the Mac version.

I used a GT120 Mac card on the build in my sig for awhile until SL came out with drivers for the HD5770 I have in it now.

EDIT: from autodesk - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...05&id=18844534&product=80&os=134217728&hw=278

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=k5000+quadro

Thank you very much, I will definitely go with the PC version of whatever card I choose. (Plus, if hackintosh fails for whatever reason, I will still be able to set up a PC with ease).The Quadro K5000 it's way too expensive for what it is. And doesn't seem to kick well with my rig.

So I've narrowed down my options to four cards:

Quadro K4000
Quadro 4000
GTX 680
GTX 580

1. In which order will you rank these cards in order to work with Smoke regarding performance in a hackintosh enviorement?
2. In which order will you rank these cards in order to work with Smoke regarding compatibility in a hackintosh enviorement?

Thank you very much, I will definitely go with the PC version of whatever card I choose. (Plus, if hackintosh fails for whatever reason, I will still be able to set up a PC with ease).The Quadro K5000 it's way too expensive for what it is. And doesn't seem to kick well with my rig.

So I've narrowed down my options to four cards:

Quadro K4000
Quadro 4000
GTX 680
GTX 580

1. In which order will you rank these cards in order to work with Smoke regarding performance in a hackintosh enviorement?
2. In which order will you rank these cards in order to work with Smoke regarding compatibility in a hackintosh enviorement?
They are all compatible
The quadro cards would be top ranked for both as they have specific drivers for Mac, but they are high $$$ for what you get.
The 580 would rank second in performance for compute power and CUDA use after the quadro cards
The 680 comes in last for everything

I have found this extremely intresting page
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...id=18844534&product=80&os=134217728&system=78

Just click on Product: '
cert_s1.gif
Autodesk Smoke 2013' grey tab and you will find some cool information about the graphics that are compatible with the smoke 2013 and i guess i should work even for all Low budget Hack Pro. and even with FCPX app.

these are some recommended and tested graphics available for some little expense rate

1st: ATI Radeon HD 4870 $228
2nd: ATI Radeon HD 5770 $185
3rd: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 $405OLD one and even costly.

rest all are quadro not at all worth buying (unless u are rich)

these are some MacPro supported mid 2010 graphics. hope this helps and letme know the results if someone tries this out.
cheers!:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back