Contribute
Register

Losing My Mind Over OpenCore Boot Issues

Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
Xeon > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
RX 580
(Apologies if this is the wrong forum or thread, I'm new to this site)

The past week, I've been attempting to get OS Monterey 12.7.3 on my Mac Pro 5, 1. It has been nothing short of a headache and it's at a point where I don't know what to do. The initial update worked fine enough, however it rendered my bluetooth and wifi card useless. Upon buying a new one card, I installed it and went through the process of replacing kext files using OpenCore Generator.

This past attempt I must've put the kext files in the wrong order because now all that happens is my Mac will show the "Mac HD" on the boot screen and then go to the apple logo and stay there. (It cycles through this process on its own) No loading bar or anything. When I try and boot to recovery mode I get a string of messages ending in "Halting on Critical Error."

I even tried reinstalling the Monterey file onto a USB. It allows me to select the USB as the boot, but still gets stuck on the apple logo.

This is more than frustrating, I'm not a computer genius by any means but I've been following what most resources have been saying. How do I get past all of this and re-organize the kext so my computer can boot properly? I can't even get to recovery mode to use terminal for anything.

2010 Mac Pro 5, 1

Main SSD has the OpenCore stuff on it

RX580 Graphics Card

Please...any help would be much appreciated. I'm a full time music producer and this computer is where I work.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
You'll need to read the OC Legacy Patcher instructions and follow that. No need to make your own EFI for a real Mac Pro. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html

Using the OCLP app is much easier than hacking a Windows based PC.
Also I went through the instructions to install the OS pretty fine. This issue was trying to replace kext files to get my wifi and Bluetooth working again. Now I’m stuck

Also I went through the instructions to install the OS pretty fine.
How did you create the USB installer and the EFI folder ?

How did you create the USB installer and the EFI folder ?
Used OpenCore Legacy Patcher to create the initial USB that I installed Monterey from, I put that on the main drive in my computer. When I tried to replace the kext files, I used OpenCore Generator and re-ordered them under the kernels tab. Then restarted the computer.

When I tried to replace the kext files, I used OpenCore Generator and re-ordered them under the kernels tab. Then restarted the computer.
You should only need to be using the root patches via the OCLP app to get BT and Wifi working.
What is the exact make and model of your Wifi/BT card ? I'd guess that it's not Monterey compatible.

You should only need to be using the root patches via the OCLP app to get BT and Wifi working.
What is the exact make and model of your Wifi/BT card ? I'd guess that it's not Monterey compatible.
It definitely wasn't, BCM943602CDP. I found out I can select different things, hitting space bar on the boot picker, but none of the options lead to any new results. Still the stuck apple logo or the "Halting on critical error"

It definitely wasn't, BCM943602CDP. I found out I can select different things
That has native support in Monterey. No kexts shoud be installed it works OOB.
till the stuck apple logo or the "Halting on critical error"
You'll need to boot verbose to get more info on the KP. Could also try booting with the Wifi BT card removed and see if that helps get you to the desktop.

That has native support in Monterey. No kexts shoud be installed it works OOB.

You'll need to boot verbose to get more info on the KP. Could also try booting with the Wifi BT card removed and see if that helps get you to the desktop.
How can I boot verbose, I know that was an option in the OCLP application but no accessing that from where I'm at lol

Back