Mac OS X 10.8.4
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I have been running a hackintosh build for a couple years and have been thinking about reformatting to be able to dual-boot Windows and Mac OS X, or just completely convert to Windows. This used to be both my work and home computer but now I have a separate work laptop so I'm focusing this build towards gaming, hence the Windows interest. (always been a Mac user until now)

I'm on a Gigabyte Z87N-Wifi with a 124GB SSD running my OS and a 1TB HD for storage (plus an older 1TB backup connected via USB). My SSD is pretty much full with the Yosemite OS I have running on it (<8GB left). As a result I figure my options are either to get a new, larger SSD, and partition it so as to dual boot, or to wipe and jump to Windows completely.

Does anyone have any experience with this? One thing I'm not clear on is how to format my second hard drive; it's currently Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I'm assuming that would have to change if I want to access that data from either OS in a dual boot situation? What formatting would work best? Obviously I should backup that data first, since reformatting will wipe it.

Further, would it be better to set up for a dual-boot, or just go cold-turkey and go Windows? A larger SSD wouldn't be too expensive, but if I don't have to get one, and can reliably switch to Windows, that might be preferable.

Any thoughts / tips are greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I have been running a hackintosh build for a couple years and have been thinking about reformatting to be able to dual-boot Windows and Mac OS X, or just completely convert to Windows. This used to be both my work and home computer but now I have a separate work laptop so I'm focusing this build towards gaming, hence the Windows interest. (always been a Mac user until now)

I'm on a Gigabyte Z87N-Wifi with a 124GB SSD running my OS and a 1TB HD for storage (plus an older 1TB backup connected via USB). My SSD is pretty much full with the Yosemite OS I have running on it (<8GB left). As a result I figure my options are either to get a new, larger SSD, and partition it so as to dual boot, or to wipe and jump to Windows completely.

Does anyone have any experience with this? One thing I'm not clear on is how to format my second hard drive; it's currently Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I'm assuming that would have to change if I want to access that data from either OS in a dual boot situation? What formatting would work best? Obviously I should backup that data first, since reformatting will wipe it.

Further, would it be better to set up for a dual-boot, or just go cold-turkey and go Windows? A larger SSD wouldn't be too expensive, but if I don't have to get one, and can reliably switch to Windows, that might be preferable.

Any thoughts / tips are greatly appreciated!
you shouldn't have to reformat but repartition. in disk utility select the drive and then partition tab and hit the plus sign i would add one for windows and one for sharing files format of both new drives should be fat32 this will shrink your current drive partition and you should be able to install windows from there

Thanks, I have partitioned as you mentioned. Now I need to install windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back