Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
SONY VAIO E14 SVE14A390X
CPU
i7-3632QM/HM76
Graphics
HD 4000, HD 7670M
let me try to be as specific as possible and start from the beginning.

I bought a Windows 8 Laptop, and shortly after decided I wanted to try dual booting it with OSX. I partitioned my SSD which was currently running Windows in half, then installed OSX via the unibeast method. I was able to get it working, though I could only boot through a Chimera USB. From what I gather, the issues I have are due to having Windows installed first, and doing OSX second.

I posted in r/hackintosh asking if anyone knew of a way I could avoid wiping and reinstalling everything, but still be able to boot, preferably in UEFI, without having to use a USB. It was suggested that I try installing Clover. I'd been interested from what I had heard about it, but always too nervous and lost to try. So I sat down for quite a few hours tonight and tried.

I followed multiple sources, such as a video, the Tonymac guide on installing yosemite via clover (post install), and this guide:
http://skylineosx.com/installation/switching-from-chameleonchimera-to-clover/

I went through the process and selected what was suggested for the UEFI version. The EFI partition that was created showed up, I transferred the kexts where they were recommended, I copied over my DSDT and SSDT and I used Clover Configurator to edit my plist as suggested.

I believe I have 2 EFI partitions, one called SonySYS, and the one created by Clover. I could be mistaken as this is all new to me, but my Laptop came with the SonySYS partition. I apologize if I'm making any glaring mistakes, I'm trying my best to learn as I go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

let me try to be as specific as possible and start from the beginning.

I bought a Windows 8 Laptop, and shortly after decided I wanted to try dual booting it with OSX. I partitioned my SSD which was currently running Windows in half, then installed OSX via the unibeast method. I was able to get it working, though I could only boot through a Chimera USB. From what I gather, the issues I have are due to having Windows installed first, and doing OSX second.

I posted in r/hackintosh asking if anyone knew of a way I could avoid wiping and reinstalling everything, but still be able to boot, preferably in UEFI, without having to use a USB. It was suggested that I try installing Clover. I'd been interested from what I had heard about it, but always too nervous and lost to try. So I sat down for quite a few hours tonight and tried.

I followed multiple sources, such as a video, the Tonymac guide on installing yosemite via clover (post install), and this guide:
http://skylineosx.com/installation/switching-from-chameleonchimera-to-clover/

I went through the process and selected what was suggested for the UEFI version. The EFI partition that was created showed up, I transferred the kexts where they were recommended, I copied over my DSDT and SSDT and I used Clover Configurator to edit my plist as suggested.

I believe I have 2 EFI partitions, one called SonySYS, and the one created by Clover. I could be mistaken as this is all new to me, but my Laptop came with the SonySYS partition. I apologize if I'm making any glaring mistakes, I'm trying my best to learn as I go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

And for retaining your existing Windows UEFI install: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

Thanks for the reply. I went through the two threads you linked, and verified I had everything mentioned on my install. I noticed I did not have the HFSplus.efi, so I added that where it was supposed to be added. However it still booted directly into Windows when i was on UEFI. I have the Clover EFI partition installed and ready as per your guide, and I found this post.

Please fill out your profile per post #1.

You cannot boot from your HDD unless you install Clover to it. If you already have Windows booting UEFI, you may need to rename /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Given my situation, is this what I need to do to have it boot from clover instead of going through to windows? also, this will still allow windows to boot without any problems if it doesn't work right? or would I have to go back and rename it again in another way?

Thanks for your help, as always

...However it still booted directly into Windows when i was on UEFI.

Rename bootmgfw.efi in EFI/Microsoft/Boot to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Rename bootmgfw.efi in EFI/Microsoft/Boot to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

I went ahead and renamed it and tried to reboot.
but instead of just going through to windows I just get this now

Is there anything I should post that would help figure out what my problem might be?

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 104
I went ahead and renamed it and tried to reboot.
but instead of just going through to windows I just get this now

Is there anything I should post that would help figure out what my problem might be?
Did you remove any files in your /EFI folder?

The only thing I changed was renaming bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

Seems unlikely that is all you changed. Assuming you installed Clover UEFI to the EFI partition, you should arrive in Clover now.

To check, rename it back to the old name.

Seems unlikely that is all you changed. Assuming you installed Clover UEFI to the EFI partition, you should arrive in Clover now.

To check, rename it back to the old name.

Renamed it back and it booted right up, however I think you may have just clarified something for me. I tried searching because it was a question I had when I started, but I couldn't find anything that would confirm it.
I installed Clover to my OSX partition. The EFI partition that windows uses is my SONYSYS partition. Should I be installing clover there? I originally thought so, but I couldn't install RC scripts to the target volume, only install to all others was available. I also could not install the preference pane so I thought this was incorrect and I needed to install on my OSX partition.

This may be the source of all my trouble, am I on the right track here?

Renamed it back and it booted right up, however I think you may have just clarified something for me. I tried searching because it was a question I had when I started, but I couldn't find anything that would confirm it.
I installed Clover to my OSX partition. The EFI partition that windows uses is my SONYSYS partition. Should I be installing clover there? I originally thought so, but I couldn't install RC scripts to the target volume, only install to all others was available. I also could not install the preference pane so I thought this was incorrect and I needed to install on my OSX partition.

This may be the source of all my trouble, am I on the right track here?

You should be installing Clover in UEFI mode. You have to go to "Custom" install options. The Clover installer will automatically find the EFI partition associated with the target partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back