CPU
Intel Core i5 6600 3.3 Ghz
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My hackentosh build works really well. Even better now that it is on El Capitan and Clover. (No more Fermi freeze) My box is 4 years old. All the parts in it are still great and perform very well.
However, my video card (Nvidia gtx 460 SE) is getting very long in the tooth and I would like to replace it with something better.

I have a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 which I use to game with. Although the game(s) I am play are cross platform they work way better in Windows.

I am looking for a mid range card that will work with El Capitan without too many issues. the big issue here is my MotherBoard does not have any onboard graphics. So If I am not mistaken that means any card that needs the Nvidia web drivers will not be the best option.

Looking for some suggestions.

Find a GTX 760.

Although, but not positive, I think you can still boot a Maxwell GPU using nv_disable=1 without an IGP.

would a gtx 750 work? Seems there aren't many gtx 760 cards to be found.

Actually the GTX 750 isn't that much better the the GTX 460. Looking at a comparison of the 2 cards the GTX 760 is more then double almost 3 times the performance of the 460.

I believe slim.jim was recommending a used GTX 760 which you can find on eBay and works with OS X w/o the need for the nVidia web drivers.

Additionally, new, entry level GTX 960 cards are coming down in price to around $180 which I saw at Newegg on sale until midnight tonight (Pacific Time). This is a good buy as it is a 4GB card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487133

GTX 750 Ti's (like mine) are also dropping in price to ~$120 or less.

I recommend you look at the Tom's Hardware Graphics Hierarchy Chart to get an idea of relative performance of the different generation of graphics cards.

would a gtx 750 work? Seems there aren't many gtx 760 cards to be found.

As Stork said, I was recommending a used GTX 760 because it is natively supported. A 750/750ti is a Maxwell GPU like the 900 series cards so if you want to go that route I'd recommend a 960 over a 750/750ti. The Maxwell cards will require the use of the Nvidia web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back