Contribute
Register

Looking for a blessing before $1,200 purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU
i5-4670K 3.4GHz
Graphics
MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB ITX
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I thought that WonkeyDonkey's build was just inspired :clap: but I tweaked it ever so slightly to allow for a bit more power and future overclocking.:angel:

MOBO: ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU: i7 4770k
CPUFAN: Noctua L9i
GPU: MSI GTX760 2GB ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Aside from the aforementioned parts, the PSU and CASE is up for debate... I have searched endlessly for a case that I love but it might not currently exist, the closest I have found is the Silverstone Raven RVZ01 (with a Silverstone 450W SFX PSU "ST45SF-G") but I would prefer something smaller, a volume of roughly 8 to 10 liters. I am looking to the form factor of the Steam Machine as a guide.

Some other cases that I have liked: the M3A2 (never manufactured), Lone Industries L2, NCASE M1.

Any recommendations, questions or concerns before I proceed?

I would take a look at the Crucial or G.Skill brands for other ram options. Haswell and
Corsair vengeance don't make for a good combination with Mavericks 10.9.2 + It's
well documented throughout the forums. If I recall Wonkey used the G.Skill Ripjaws
ram in his build. Also the L9i isn't really designed for overclocking. With mini-itx
you'd want liquid cooling for any serious attempts at overclocking. The L9i is ok but
you really can't push it too much and expect it to work like one of the high profile
Noctua coolers.

Thank you for that advice, I shouldn't have missed that. Something like the Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 would work?

Yea the Noctua L9i would be a placeholder until I decide to overclock, I don't see myself needing to push the system too hard for my current needs. I suppose I could just build liquid cooling into it initially, it would make sense to factor that into my choice of case. I've liked the design of Corsair's h100i.

Thank you for that advice, I shouldn't have missed that. Something like the Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 would work?
I used that ram in an Ivy Bridge build about 1.5 yrs. ago and it's worked with 0 problems.

Yea the Noctua L9i would be a placeholder until I decide to overclock, I don't see myself needing to push the system too hard for my current needs. I suppose I could just build liquid cooling into it initially, it would make sense to factor that into my choice of case. I've liked the design of Corsair's h100i.
Instead of the L9i then, just use the stock Intel cooler till you buy the h100i later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back