Contribute
Register

[LOCKED] Guide - New ATI Kexts from iMac 10.6.7 - 5XXX/6XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide - New ATI Kexts from MBP 10.6.7 Update - 5XXX/6XXX

ijhu said:
@Tal3n

I used the latest multibeast and installed the new ATI package along with Kabyl Chameleon. I left graphic enabler = Yes. (Powercolor ATI 5770)
1 thing I noticed was during the installation, my screen went black and I had to wait 15 minutes (just to be safe) for the installation to finish, and forced a manual reboot.
Reboot came back ok, and confirmed 24 kexts from SB (10.6.7) was in fact in S/L/E.

I will give a try with Graphic Enabler = No (via chameleon boot and see what happen)

I think the difference with your setup is yours is the Powercolor 5770, it just seems that XFX 5770's are having trouble.

@moshymoshy

Thanks I am going to revert back to Old Kexts and just leave it.

Tal3n said:
SO have to boot into safe mode ( holding shift down)

Chameleon isn't the same as a real hack - to get safe mode type the following at the Chameleon screen:
Code:
-x

mjgunn said:
Getting ready to do an install on a i7 2600 based system with a ATI 6870 installed. Do I use Chameleon r748 - ATI Experimental, or r709 for Sandy Bridge?

I would suggest going down the Sandy Bridge route for the moment and GraphicsEnabler=No (and you don't be able to use DVD Player and GeekBench)

But I know that something is on it's way to help out so keep you eyes peeled

Hi everybody!

I just got a ASUS Matrix 5870 Platinum to replace my GTX460.

I have managed to get it working with Kabyl and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but my machine doesn't even start with MBP kexts and GraphicsEnabler=No (See the picture attached of where it hangs). Now it is with MBP kexts, Kabyl and GraphicsEnabler=Yes. It seems to work just fine. No matter what I do my machine's performance is way bellow average on cinebench (23fps), but its actual performance seems pretty good.

I'm using the only DVI available, I don't have any DisplayPort device (nor adapters), but according to the manual, the goal is to connect several monitors through a DisplayPort HUB.

No HDMI though, which is what is bugging me the most. I use Plex Media Center in my TV connected through HDMI.

IMG_0048.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 253

Hi everyone,

Just reinstalled SL from scratch, and immediatly applied the 10.6.7 combo after the first or second reboot. QE/CI worked right after (which rather surprised me) btu is recognized as a generic 5700 in system info. Didn't check DVD player yet, nor geekbench. I didn't even install yet Chameleon, still booting from an old iBoot (which has an old r648 Chamelon I belive, so no real ATI support yet). My graphics card is a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X.

I was rather surprised that QE/CI worked with the 10.6.7 combo update (and no additionnal ATI kexts ...)

substring said:
Hi everyone,

Just reinstalled SL from scratch, and immediatly applied the 10.6.7 combo after the first or second reboot. QE/CI worked right after (which rather surprised me) btu is recognized as a generic 5700 in system info. Didn't check DVD player yet, nor geekbench. I didn't even install yet Chameleon, still booting from an old iBoot (which has an old r648 Chamelon I belive, so no real ATI support yet). My graphics card is a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X.

I was rather surprised that QE/CI worked with the 10.6.7 combo update (and no additionnal ATI kexts ...)

I think you and some other people on this thread are misunderstanding some key info here.

There has always been ATI kexts in Snow Leopard since the Graphics Update at the end of last year which has been built into the combo updated after 10.6.5 (or 4 can't quite remember). When running a hackintosh it is a completely different hardware set up to to running a real macpro with EFI and to get the ATI cards working with the old kexts then some form of graphics injection was required - first method was the ATI_Init kext and then some boot7/boot boot files with UseATIRom and then Kabyl tidied it all up with his boot file.

Now ..... the new ATI kexts are a marked step up from the old ATI kexts because you can get a full resolution etc in Snow Leopard without the need for Graphics Injection and the card does work to some degree without the need for extra injection methods. However it is not running flawlessly (DVD / Geekbench) but it is a mile ahead of where we were 6 months ago when the Graphics Update came out in terms of how much the ATI kexts will do themselves without any help.

Where we are now is that there are still a few tweaks that need to be made to get full functionality in OSX and that is to revert to Kabyl's method for getting full graphics acceleration however you can use the new ATI kexts with Kabyl's boot file and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and everything will work fine.

iBoot contains the Kabyl bootfile so yes it will work without installing the new kexts because that's how we'd all been running the 5770 before these new kexts come along.

notshy said:
I think you and some other people on this thread are misunderstanding some key info here.
I'm always eager to learn something !
notshy said:
There has always been ATI kexts in Snow Leopard since the Graphics Update at the end of last year which has been built into the combo updated after 10.6.5 (or 4 can't quite remember). When running a hackintosh it is a completely different hardware set up to to running a real macpro with EFI and to get the ATI cards working with the old kexts then some form of graphics injection was required - first method was the ATI_Init kext and then some boot7/boot boot files with UseATIRom and then Kabyl tidied it all up with his boot file.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no hackintosh guru, definitely a rookie), but even till 10.6.6 anyone wanting to take its ATI 5xxx/6xxx needed some tweak. I understand that usual PC cards don't follow the Apple design and rom, but still, it did require some tweaking
notshy said:
Now ..... the new ATI kexts are a marked step up from the old ATI kexts because you can get a full resolution etc in Snow Leopard without the need for Graphics Injection and the card does work to some degree without the need for extra injection methods. However it is not running flawlessly (DVD / Geekbench) but it is a mile ahead of where we were 6 months ago when the Graphics Update came out in terms of how much the ATI kexts will do themselves without any help.
May I add : new Apple ATI kexts add support for hardware acceleration for a limited number of cards without any further tweaking, despite a few side effects (DVD player, geekbench and surely other apps)
notshy said:
Where we are now is that there are still a few tweaks that need to be made to get full functionality in OSX and that is to revert to Kabyl's method for getting full graphics acceleration however you can use the new ATI kexts with Kabyl's boot file and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and everything will work fine.
I undestood that.
notshy said:
iBoot contains the Kabyl bootfile so yes it will work without installing the new kexts because that's how we'd all been running the 5770 before these new kexts come along.
I said my iBoot is an old one (2.4 I think, the first with Unified Graphics. I'm not home right now I need to check), running a version older than kabyl's tweak (->which means no injection). What I wanted to point out is that, for my rig, 10.6.0 install + 10.6.7 patch (and no Kabyl injection, no multibeast yet, absolutely nothing more than the patch) looks like a major leap forward, despite the few glitches left.

Now i may be confused between the original graphics update that came around 10.6.5 because I was not understanding yet, at that moment (that was my very first hack) what was required to have QE/CI for an ATI device. But don't waste your time explaining me, that's past, Kabyl's work is still THE way to have the best working hack.

Does anyone using these drivers have a Apple Cinema display connected to their system and working correctly?

mjgunn said:
Does anyone using these drivers have a Apple Cinema display connected to their system and working correctly?
Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9000&start=30

notshy said:

Hi there!
I am using Kabyl's boot file + new ATI kexts + graphicsEnabler=yes and I still get the DVD player/GeekBench crash!!!
Resolution and QE/CI are fully working, actually everything seems to work except from these two apps!
What am I missing?
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back