Contribute
Register

[LOCKED] Guide - New ATI Kexts from iMac 10.6.7 - 5XXX/6XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide - New ATI Kexts from MBP 10.6.7 Update - 5XXX/6XXX

Getting ready to do an install on a i7 2600 based system with a ATI 6870 installed. Do I use Chameleon r748 - ATI Experimental, or r709 for Sandy Bridge?

moshymoshy said:
Div said:
working flawlessly

Is DVD Player working flawlessly?

Ok guys, i´ve updated my system to 10.6.7 also. It runs asus hd5770. I did clean install and update to 10.6.7 it works fine with vanila kexts and GraphicsEnabler=no.

I am looking forward MBP kexts. Has anyone fixed that issue with DVD player and Geek Bench?

Cheers!

Here's what still doesn't add up.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC743ZM/A
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC742ZM/A

ATI 5770 and 5780 that both ship, for the Mac Pro, from Apple.

So there must be native support at least for these two cards, already in Mac OS. There is no reason why support would be slipped into a MacBOOK specific software update, since a laptop is incapable of using these cards.

So either

a) ATI cards, particularly 57x0s, are already natively supported.
or
b) These add-on cards ship with a driver disk.

moshymoshy said:
a) ATI cards, particularly 57x0s, are already natively supported.
or
b) These add-on cards ship with a driver disk.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=15

according to that, no drivers are needed, and works oob in the 10.6.5 update.
supposedly though, a firmware update is needed to enable mdp

strange one is this

Apple store claims that 10.6.4 is the minimum requirement for the 5770.

There was also that 'graphics update' at the end of last year that was for these cards too.

I am increasingly certain that the MBP kexts have nothing to do with desktop cards whatsoever.

Having a weird issue since the new drivers. Randomly, my Asus display sometimes won't wake up and remains in a power save state. My computer is running (playing iTunes audio) and I can Screen Share to see my mouse moving/keyboard typing. I was able to wake it up by changing my resolution in System Preferences.

Anyone else see this bug? Any fixes?

I have an XFX 5850.

So this means we actually DO NOT need string such as GraphicsEnabler=Yes anymore and the card should have QE/CI OOB. Has anyone had any issue when turning GraphicsEnabler=NO?

moshymoshy said:

There was also that 'graphics update' at the end of last year that was for these cards too.

I am increasingly certain that the MBP kexts have nothing to do with desktop cards whatsoever.

Hey we have pretty much identical hardware, except for RAM. Are you using the Original Kexts or the MBP 10.6.7 kexts. I read you were not able to get DVD player to work right with the new Kexts. It doesn't really matter much to me cause I don't use DVD player.

I tried just updating to new kexts and changing GE- no, System would just boot to a white screen and nothing.
SO have to boot into safe mode ( holding shift down) Change it back to Kabyl's with GE=yes ,and reverting back to original kext..

Just wondering if I need to go back to original kexts or just go back to Kabyl and GE=yes

My main reason why trying it was to get HDMI audio to possibly work, but I think I will just stick with optical, and take the if ain't broke, don't fix it approach.

@Tal3n

I used the latest multibeast and installed the new ATI package along with Kabyl Chameleon. I left graphic enabler = Yes. (Powercolor ATI 5770)
1 thing I noticed was during the installation, my screen went black and I had to wait 15 minutes (just to be safe) for the installation to finish, and forced a manual reboot.
Reboot came back ok, and confirmed 24 kexts from SB (10.6.7) was in fact in S/L/E.

I will give a try with Graphic Enabler = No (via chameleon boot and see what happen)

Update:
GraphicsEnabler=No: system profiler shows ATI 5000. geekbench 32/64bit crashes everytime. Switching GraphicsEnalber=Yes, geekbench = OK.

Current setup:
new SB ATI kext, GraphicsEnabler=Yes,chameleon ATI experimental.

Tal3n said:
moshymoshy said:

Hey we have pretty much identical hardware, except for RAM. Are you using the Original Kexts or the MBP 10.6.7 kexts. I read you were not able to get DVD player to work right with the new Kexts. It doesn't really matter much to me cause I don't use DVD player.

I tried just updating to new kexts and changing GE- no, System would just boot to a white screen and nothing.
SO have to boot into safe mode ( holding shift down) Change it back to Kabyl's with GE=yes ,and reverting back to original kext..

Just wondering if I need to go back to original kexts or just go back to Kabyl and GE=yes

My main reason why trying it was to get HDMI audio to possibly work, but I think I will just stick with optical, and take the if ain't broke, don't fix it approach.

I have no experience with using my HDMI outs, sorry. But my experience was;

Kabyl + GE=yes + old kexts = works
Normal Chameleon + GE=no + new kexts = 'works' but with the well documented Open GL crashes in DVD Player etc.

I have rolled back to Kabyl+GE+old kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back