Contribute
Register

Live DAW All-In-One i7 2600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an update on the progress of this little project of mine:

I spent about a week at my parent's place to turn a suitcase into a computer case.
It was much harder to do than I had expected, getting everything positioned and attached well and securely in a way that makes sense. There is not a whole lot of space in a suitcase like that but I think I did a pretty good job fitting everything in there.

Some cables had to be extended too. I found a kind of cooling bay for 2 notebook HDs which I installed with strong double sided tape. Many things are glued with that tape, also the mobo (with spacers) is glued to the rear of the screen... :headbang: I hope it will stay in place but it seems to hold very well.

For WIFI I ended up building an airport card as recommended by many people after having tried some USB stick solutions with the ugly Ralink utility.
I had to buy the BCM94321 wifi card, a PCIe to mini PCIe adapter and also another flexible PCIe extender in order to be able to fit it in my case.
Wifi is working perfectly for me now.

I also bought a 120mm Arctic system fan and installed that instead of the 140mm one because I didn't have enough room in the case for the other one. It's very quiet and cooling well.

Got myself an external DVD burner by Samsung too which works well on USB bus power.

I ran multibeast 4.2.0 and installed TRIM support, CMOS reset fix and the new USB 3.0 drivers. Also istalled everything I need mostly to the 500GB HDD leaving the SSD for audio samples, plug-ins and that kind of stuff. There's only 8GB of free space left on that one now :eek:.

I ran Geekbench in 32-Bit mode and got a score of 11744 :mrgreen: .

Things seem to run well except for some artifacts and screen flickers once in a while, some of which seem to cause system hang-ups (not so cool for live use) and then I have to restart to continue. I hope I can get my head around those issues. I did reduce the graphics values in the BIOS but it hasn't really solved the problems entirely. Maybe somebody can point me to a good solution? Possibly it has something to do with my RAM too?

I am very pleased how far I got with this build but it does require some final tweaks in order to be a total success.

Thank you guys a lot for helping me get where I am now. This is the first time I ever built a computer and I wouldn't have made it very far without all your great work!

This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.06.jpg
    Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.06.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.08.jpg
    Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.08.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.10.jpg
    Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.10.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.40.jpg
    Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.40.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 166
  • Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.41.jpg
    Foto am 21.12.11 um 02.41.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 153
kryz said:
That looks exactly like the problems I get:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=60

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an actual solution yet.

Huh, maybe it's something with the boards? I have a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 system and everything has been rock solid. Logic, ProTools, USB Audio devices. Everything works. Using the HD3000 and driving dual monitors as well.

Maybe. But there have been many suggestions about the reasons for the artifacts and freezes. In no particular order what I have come across as posssible causes are:

1. bad drivers in OS 10.7.2 (some of the new macs seem to get those Lion freezes too)
2. wrong graphics settings in BIOS
3. Adobe Flash
4. wrong kind of RAM or wrong settings (some say they don't get artifacts with only 4GB)
5. ethernet driver problems
6. wrong MoBo
7. permission conflicts
8. caches

:beachball:

kryz said:
Maybe. But there have been many suggestions about the reasons for the artifacts and freezes. In no particular order what I have come across as posssible causes are:

1. bad drivers in OS 10.7.2 (some of the new macs seem to get those Lion freezes too)
3. Adobe Flash
4. wrong kind of RAM or wrong settings (some say they don't get artifacts with only 4GB)
6. wrong MoBo
7. permission conflicts
8. caches
:

Same board, rev, and bios as you. Only thing that I've seen is an occasional video artifact (maybe 2 times an hour) and an occasional Ethernet problem. But no freezes.

ericdano said:
kryz said:

3. Adobe Flash
6. wrong MoBo
7. permission conflicts
8. caches
:

Same board, rev, and bios as you. Only thing that I've seen is an occasional video artifact (maybe 2 times an hour) and an occasional Ethernet problem. But no freezes.

HD3000 should not be recommended in my opinion, not until an update comes out.

Hey guys, I am in a similar situation. I am building this hackintosh to be able to run Ableton Live and Logic Pro. I have a MOTU 896MK3 sound card. I was wondering if anybody could steer me in the right direction.
I am running:

Processor - Core i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Motherboard - GA-Z68XP-UD5
Memory - GSKILL RIPJAWS DDR3 2133 16 gigs
Video Card - Onboard

I have been trying to install Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion.
I successfully can boot into the 10.6.0 OS from Iboot. But I once I run
the 10.6.8 combo update and restart it just boots up to a gray screen
and does not do anything else. Is this because I am using my onboard video
or do I actually need a real video card? Am I not doing something right?
I have the correct DSDT and I use that when using MULTIBEAST before
I restart, but I get the same results no matter how many times I attempt
different configurations. I am really getting tired of having to keep formatting
and reinstalling snow leopard just to keep failing at this.

Is there a way to just go straight to Lion without having to install Snow Leopard?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jonny50979 said:
Is there a way to just go straight to Lion without having to install Snow Leopard?

Yes, it's called unibeast. Go check it out. On the front page.

ericdano said:
Jonny50979 said:

Yes, it's called unibeast. Go check it out. On the front page.

Thank you
But can I run this with my onboard video with no problem or do I need to buy a graphics card?

Jonny50979 said:
But can I run this with my onboard video with no problem or do I need to buy a graphics card?

You have the same i7 processor as I. I'm not familiar with your board, but it should work fine in 10.7.2. I don't have any major issues. An occasional artifact ever hour or so....maybe. But my build has been really stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back