Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio -Part 2b: DSDT Edits/Integrated Intel HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note here... Attempting to get HDMI Audio working on a H61N-USB3 motherboard. If you use the DSDT file found in the tonymacx86 DSDT Database that is labeled "F2 HDMI Audio", the DSDT edits have already been done... however, IGD0 has NOT been renamed to IGPU.

Drove me crazy when I went on to the KEXT section!

And just that easily - it's now not working for me.

I had a free TV show from iTunes music store I tried to watch, and got this error message:
"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). / Try moving the iTunes window to a different display. Make sure the entire window is on the supported display."

I am using only one display.

Some research indicated that sometimes using a different video output would bypass that error. So, I found a DVI cable and connected that to the output on my computer and used a DVI to HDMI adapter on the other end as my monitor/tv has no DVI input. I could see output but got the same iTunes error when I again tried to play that tv show, so I was content giving up that effort.

However, now I can see no HDMI output on my display at all - at post or bootloader or any other time. Only the DVI works (haven't tried VGA). I unplugged all cables from the computer, hit the power key a couple of times, and left it unplugged for almost 10 hours' time. Connected just the HDMI cable from computer to monitor and computer power, powered up - nothing.

DVI works and looks great, but I was loving the HDMI video & audio in one. I tried MultiBeast to "touch" the system utilities, macmini system def & motherboard extensions but get the same behaviour after reboot.

I'm not sure what else to try - anyone have an idea? Thanks for your attention & willingness to assist.

Hello Toleda. Here's my IOReg created while both DVI and HDMI are connected to the monitor's HDMI inputs (DVI via DVI to HDMI adapter). Thanks very much!

Attachments

• VeryModernPostDVIBreak.ioreg.zip
    417.2 KB · Views: 72
verymodern said:
Hello Toleda. Here's my IOReg created while both DVI and HDMI are connected to the monitor's HDMI inputs (DVI via DVI to HDMI adapter). Thanks very much!
The HDCP problem is caused by the use of the DVI2HDMI adapters. The only solution is approved HDMI cables from the computer to the display. If there is a non-conforming connection between the computer and a display (i.e., DVI), any another valid connection (i.e., HDMI) will be disabled.

I don't see any problems in IOReg. If your HDMI connector has stopped working, I suggest you shutdown the system, unplug the DVI cable and reboot with just HDMI plugged in. If no display (boot, Chimera, desktop), there may be a hardware problem.

Hi Toleda. I really don't care about that HDCP error from trying to see an iTunes tv show at all at this point. I mentioned it only to give background of why I even tried DVI. I had that same error when I was _ONLY_ using HDMI, too. I don't know what "approved" cable means - I only have one HDMI cable and it's a retractable kind. Has always worked fine 'til this point - but it's the one factor in my setup I can't be sure about. I'm asking friends to borrow another one just to test. This page shows/describes the one I have - a friend gave it to me: http://www.priceplunge.com/Forums/Discussion/2037

The timing seems very suspicious for this to be truly a hardware problem, but I have tried the power down/remove DVI/[and all other cables - leaving power off for hours]/restart with just HDMI to no avail.

A difference I notice now that the HDMI output doesn't seem to work at all at any time is that the DVI output does not show at post, bootloader and only displays from when the Apple logo first shows on booting. [EDIT: it does output the initial phases of booting when only the DVI cable is attached] Also, if I switch the input on the tv/monitor, when it worked with HDMI it used to say 1360x768..... now with DVI it sometimes initially says on recognition of the signal HD 1080p (odd since my monitor is a 720p kind, and incidentally I looked at the manufacturer specs which say both HDMI ports DO have HDCP) then switches to say 1360x768.

[EDIT: the computer recognized two displays when I had both the HDMI and the DVI plugged into the monitor's 2 HDMI inputs, one via dvi2hdmi adapter. It would allow mirroring or arrangement of the displays. now that I don't have the HDMI connected at all, that's not an option. So... I feel like... the computer sensed a connection between itself and the monitor via the supposedly non-working HDMI].

Thanks for going over the IOREG to confirm things look ok. I'm hoping to try with another HDMI cable to see how things go at that point. I'll advise. Thanks again! In the meantime I do have video through DVI and audio through the motherboard's green coloured output port.

Ok - I got another HDMI cable and can report that behaviour seems largely the same as with my original cable - with just HDMI connected I see no video. With DVI only I see post, bootloader, and desktop. With HDMI AND DVI connected to monitor, I only see output via DVI from Apple logo at boot forward through desktop - and I do get multi-display type options such as mirroring or layout/placement but the HDMI output from the motherboard doesn't want to give me anything to see.

What is now different is that I have no audio outputs listed in the Sound system preferences! I thought maybe I could try HDMI audio to see if that was working - but there are no outputs at all listed.

I've attached my current IOReg in case this might point towards some clue as to what's happening. Certainly not what I'd expected with another HDMI cable! Audio was working fine before reboot when I first noticed the lack of audio outputs (both DVI and HDMI connected). I shut down and started up again to continue to see no audio outputs listed and now there is no sound at all.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• VeryModernNoAudio.ioreg.zip
    402.3 KB · Views: 92
verymodern said:
I've attached my current IOReg in case this might point towards some clue as to what's happening. Certainly not what I'd expected with another HDMI cable! Audio was working fine before reboot when I first noticed the lack of audio outputs (both DVI and HDMI connected). I shut down and started up again to continue to see no audio outputs listed and now there is no sound at all.

Thanks very much.
IOReg says 889 on board and HD3000 HDMI audio are working. If you want to troubleshoot this, focus on HDMI only. Unplug DVI. If you system has no video with HDMI, the only choice is a clean install. On 10.7.2, HD3000 HDMI video works natively.

toleda said:
If you[r] system has no video with HDMI, the only choice is a clean install. On 10.7.2, HD3000 HDMI video works natively.

I booted to a linux utilities CD and have no HDMI video with that either. I don't think a clean install of 10.7.2 is warranted as your earlier hunch of a hardware problem now seems more likely. I've contacted the motherboard manufacturer for further advise and/or warranty instructions. Thank you.

Posting an update on my situation.

Some of the other oddities that were happening (no sound at all regardless of output) seem to have been software related as booting from another partition helped.

Gigabyte did seem to think this was motherboard related and asked me to do some testing with a discrete video card but I don't have one. I pleaded with the retailer and they were very kind to exchange the failed board with a new one. That's all it took - completely working again. Thanks!!

But that free iTunes TV show will still not play in HD - the HDCP error continues. No matter, HDMI audio and video are back and pretty stable. I do still get video artifacts - usually white horizontal lines a pixel or two tall - somewhat randomly. I see others have said that adjusting the BIOS settings for ram allocated for video cache have helped with that - I haven't yet tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back