Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
plex.jpeg
mac-os-x-lion1-500x250.jpg

hdmi.jpeg
starcraft.jpeg

Lion HDMI Audio
Part 2b: Lion HDMI Audio DSDT Edits/Integrated Graphics - Intel HD3000

The DSDT edits are mandatory for HDMI Audio on your Lion system. Editing a DSDT is not as scary as it looks, however, it must be done exactly as described.

What you will need:
1. IORegistryExplorer - available with Xcode for Lion download from the Mac App Store/Developer Tools/Xcode
2. DSDTSE v1.4.3 - http://www.osx86.es/?p=610
3. dsdt-hdmi_audio-v3.dsl: View attachment DSDT-HDMI_Audio_Edits_v3.dsl
Example edited dsdts with working HD3000 HDMI audio in Lion are available below:
1. GA-H67N-USB3-F3/i7-2600K/10.7.2-.3 - Note: IGD0 renamed IGPU, Audio ID: 389: View attachment DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7-EHCI-HDMI-389.dsl
2. AS-P8H67I-Deluxe-F2/i5-2405S/10.7.2-.3 - Note: GFX0 renamed IGPU, Audio ID: 392: View attachment DSDT-AS-P8H67I-Deluxe-B3-0606-HDMI-392.aml
Now, is a good time to back up your system. Preferably, you have a bootable backup. Time Machine is not a good choice for the primary backup. The amount of time needed to enable HDMI audio varies from an hour to as long as you are interested.

This guide applies to Mac OS X 10.7.x only.

Part 2: DSDT Edits Table of Contents
1. Open DSDT
2. Preview DSDT
3. Edit DSDT
4. Verify DSDT
5. Working HDMI Audio

2. Open DSDT
This step verifies the DSDT can be edited for HDMI audio and identifies known problems before investing time making edits and ensures the dsdt compiles before any changes are made.

a. Open Finder on the drive the system boots from and select the Extra folder.
1. If you don't have an Extra folder, *your system is not ready for HDMI audio.

b. Make a back up of your dsdt.aml file

c. Copy the dsdt.aml file to your desktop.

d. Double click on "dsdt.aml" file on your desktop and DSDTSE will launch in an Editor

e. Select Compile.
1. DSDTSE may say the file has not been saved, enter Yes to save and compile.
2. If there are any errors, they must be resolved before editing can start.
3. You may also select "Save .dsl" from the File menu.
4. If your dsdt does not compile successfully, your system is not ready for HDMI audio.

f. Errors or problems?
1. Seek assistance.

3. Preview DSDT
This step identifies the exact place to put the HDMI audio edits in your DSDT.

a. In Locate, Select "Sound HDEF".
1. If "Device (HDEF)" is not found, your motherboard may not support HDMI audio.

b. In Search, Enter "0x00020000" and press Search.
1. If "0x00020000" is not found, your motherboard may not support integrated graphics.

c. Press Next until you see "Device (name)" a line or two above the highlighted 0x0002000.

d. Note name in "Device (name)".

e. Put the cursor at the beginning of the line below the address and hit return twice. This creates some space to add the edit code as shown below.

f. Errors or problems?
1. Seek assistance.
l_dsdt_adr_0x0002000.png

4. Edit DSDT
In this step, the HDMI edits are made to the DSDT. Care must be taken to ensure all edits are accurate and complete. Though unlikely, a mistake may make your system unbootable or significantly compromise performance. To recover, install your backup dsdt.aml and reboot.

a. Double click on DSDT-HDMI_Audio_Edits_v3.dsl to open in DSDTSE.

b. Goto the section titled "Intel HD3000_GE=Y_DSDT_HDMI_Audio_Edit - Delta (HD3000)".

c. Copy the 13 lines of code under the comment "Device (IGPU) - Add after: Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)".
1. Rename Device (name) to Device (IGPU). Use Search: name, Replace: IGPU
This changes all lines with name to IGPU.
2. Paste the code into the line below the*"Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)" line.
3. Verify the dsdt code looks the same as the dsdt below (edit in blue).
l_dsdt_igpu.png

d. In Locate, Select "Sound HDEF".

e. Goto the section titled "Intel HD3000_GE=Y_DSDT_HDMI_Audio_Edit - Delta (HD3000)".

f. Copy the 7 lines of code under the comment "Device (HDEF) - Replace: Store (Package (0x04) with".
1. Paste the code on top of the line*"Store (Package (0x04)".
2. Verify the dsdt code looks the same as the dsdt below (edit in blue).
l_dsdt_hdef.png

g.Compile.
1. If there is an error, see if you can solve it.
2. If the error cannot be resolved, seek assistance.

h. With a successful compile.
1. Select "Install DSDT".
2. Select your boot volume.
3. Check Extra.
4. Select Install.
5. If the message "A previous dsdt.aml file…", select OK. Enter password.

i. With a successful install.
1. Plug your HDMI device into the motherboard.
2. Reboot.

j. Errors or problems?
1. Seek assistance.

5. Verify DSDT
This step verifies the HDMI audio edits are correct.

a. Run IOReg.

b. Search "IGPU".
1. You should see: PCI0 > AppleACPIPCI > IGPU@2.

c. Verify IGPU.
1. You should see: hda-gfx="onboard-2".
l_ioreg_igpu1.png

d. Search "HDEF".
1. You should see: PCI0 > AppleACPIPCI > HDEF@1B.

e. Verify HDEF.
1. You should see: hda-gfx="onboard-2".
l_ioreg_hdef.png

f. Verify AppleHDAController/Codec List has two codecs.
1. 0: ec10 0889 (Realtek ALC889) - on board audio device_id (example).
2. 1: 8086 2805 (Intel 2805) - hdmi audio device_id.
l_ioreg_hdacontroller.png

g. Errors or problems?
1. Seek assistance.

Congratulations, it appears you successfully edited your dsdt for Integrated Graphics -Intel HD3000 HDMI audio

Proceed to: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audi...-part-3c-kext-edits-intel-hd3000-revised.html

6. Working HDMI Audio
Intel HD3000 HDMI audio will not work until the audio kext is edited. IOReg with working HD3000 HDMI audio looks like this:

HD3000/10.7.1
l_ioreg_hd3000-hdmi-audio.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Draft - Part 2b: Lion HDMI Audio DSDT Edits/Integrated

Wow- this bests my guide for detail! Great job toleda.

Does this apply to desktop hd3000? or can/does this work for laptops too????

Very clearly detailed guide, Kudo's to you!!

f. Copy the 7 lines of code under the comment "Device (HDEF) - Replace: Store (Package (0x04) with".

@toleda,

Congratulations.

Do not have these lines in my dsdt. Using Asus P7H55-M/USB3 with i3-540 Realtek HD audio 887. Have a what did you think of har?

Thank you.

edit:processor and audio name

Dewitts said:

This guide applies to desktops with HD3000 and an 889 codec. If your laptop has a 889, there may be a chance. On the other hand, the probability is much higher for getting HDMI audio to work on your AMD 6470M.

newworld said:

@toleda,

Congratulations.

Do not have these lines in my dsdt. Using Asus P7H55-M/USB3 with i3-540 Realtek HD audio 887. Have a what did you think of har?

Thank you.

edit:processor and audio name
Your dsdt can be edited for HDMI audio with a discrete graphics card (add HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU). Unfortunately, your current motherboard does not support the Sandy Bridge processors with HD3000 integrated graphics.

toleda said:
Dewitts said:

This guide applies to desktops with HD3000 and an 889 codec. If your laptop has a 889, there may be a chance. On the other hand, the probability is much higher for getting HDMI audio to work on your AMD 6470M.

Thanks for your reply, I wish someone with your experience could work on the laptop version.
Sadly the other guys with my laptop believe that the 6470m doesn't work and when I have it enabled in the bios it shows up as "unsupported card" during the boot....

toleda said:
Your dsdt can be edited for HDMI audio with a discrete graphics card (add HDEF, GFX0 and HDAU). Unfortunately, your current motherboard does not support the Sandy Bridge processors with HD3000 integrated graphics.

OK. irrelevant, not was not yet an Intel HD Graphics Driver. Your beautiful expression, Can you help me with this?

Thank you for your help. I wish you continued good work. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back