Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio -Part 2b: DSDT Edits/Integrated Intel HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, IGPU is still showing onboard-1 even with this fresh install.

Update - I got a fresh DSDT from the download database and carefully made the edits (again) and to my eyes all looks the same. But guess what? IOReg is showing onboard-2 for BOTH areas - HDEF and IGPU.

I will proceed now after cloning my drive and provide a further update as any progress or trouble is ready to report!

All right. All edits done - no audio at all for now. The volume buttons on my keyboard call up on screen the "No" symbol (circle with slashed line through it) beneath the volume indicator.

No Output or Input devices are shown in Sound system prefs.

I just noticed this post on the Part 3 - HD3000 HDMI Audio thread - making me wonder if "oops, should've seen THAT before I even tried":
What about if I got alc892 onboard audio? the CPU I use is i5 2500K, How can I make a Kexts for Alc892, please help, thank you!

I don't know what alc892 even means but my processor is indeed the i5 2500K.

I'm attaching my IOReg for now after the updates, and the kexts after surgery/hex changes.

Attachments

• VeryModernKexts.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • VeryModernPart3.ioreg.zip
    278.1 KB · Views: 69
verymodern said:
All right. All edits done -

No Output or Input devices are shown in Sound system prefs.
You got ahead of your self. You have the the 889. Download the AppleHDA.kext from here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45413. It looks like no edit to the AISNBGFB kext is required. Reinstall the native kext.

Really? When does doing less steps ever work right? :)

I dropped the edited kexts, restoring instead to those you suggested.

Volume keys raise/lower/mute volume per on-screen prompts, however the only output where I can actually hear anything is the headphone jack on the front of the case.

The line out on the back of the case is not supplying sound I can hear although the volume control works on-screen.

HDMI provides no sound and volume controls are "No"-ed out - System Prefs - Sound shows "the selected device has no output controls". It's listed as M260VA - HDMI. WAIT!! YES IT DOES!! I can hear alerts only. OK - the HDMI audio is not controllable from the keyboard. The volume controls are passed onto the device - in this case my tv/monitor. It sounds lovely!!!!!!!!!!! I was relying before on the little blip from increasing/decreasing volume on-keyboard to tell if an output was working. Since the keyboard volume controls don't work with HDMI that was a poor test.

There are two audio inputs showing - internal microphone (built-in) [which doesn't exist on my motherboard] and Line In (audio line in port). I haven't tried those yet!

I did run the sudo command which I thought would enable the line-out on the motherboard to work. Might you have a suggestion to get that working again?

You're really patient with me and it's appreciated. I'm so glad to have this working to this point!

IOReg updated and included here.

Why still no sound?

I've followed the directions given in this thread, and it looks like everything should work, but I still get no sound through HDMI. Here is a copy of my IOReg. Any ideas?

Never mind, all I had to do was change the sound output device under System Preferences-> Sound. Duh!

I would like to thank Toleda, Tony, and everyone who has fought the same issues as me and posted about it in these forums. 1 week ago, I had never tried to build a hackintosh before, and now I have a fully functioning (I think) CustoMac Mini 2011 with the H61N-USB3 motherboard running HD 3000 graphics through HDMI (with audio! thanks again!) I am triple booting with OS X Lion, Windows 7, and Linux Mint 12.

It hasn't been easy, I had to reinstall Snow Leopard several times before getting a working app store to download Lion, then it took me most of a day to enable HDMI Audio. I have scoured through these forums for answers, and was always eventually able to find what I was looking for. Thanks again, I plan to donate some cash to help you guys continue the good work!

Read the Read_Me_First. It answers your questions above. Enjoy

Thank you for calling my attention to the Read Me. I hadn't seen it when scrambling to get the kext!

I read it, the other thread it mentions (midi setup), the troubleshooting (pull the plug after shutdown, power switch 2x, wait 30+ seconds, plug back in and power up) - and I'm afraid the line out doesn't work still.

I can switch the output to headphones and the front jack works. The rear (on my motherboard, green) port doesn't output sound and for kicks I tried the microphone and line in ports - to no avail. In the midi setup, the static sound to configure speakers works for "built-in output" but not for the "built-in line output" so I'm pretty sure built-in output is where I should focus. I know the feed to speakers is working because I can connect another device to it and hear things fine. I tried making an aggregate device in the midi setup to the same results- nothing from the line out. Would you have any further ideas?

On another note, one of the graphics in part 3 of this guide shows selecting Encoded Digital Audio from the midi setup for HDMI out. I can select it, but don't hear anything when I do, even when playing a dvd from dvd player. It works for 2 channel at 16, 20, or 24bit Integer though. I don't have the output going into any kind of receiver, just my Vizio tv/monitor.

So far I'm not hearing any of the audio artifacts/popping that I would sometimes hear before endeavouring on this hdmi audio project so that alone feels like a success.

I failed to include the IOReg in my last post, here it is for real this time.

Attachments

• VeryModernAlmostThere.ioreg.zip
    364.9 KB · Views: 96
verymodern said:
I can switch the output to headphones and the front jack works. The rear (on my motherboard, green) port doesn't output sound and for kicks I tried the microphone and line in ports - to no avail. In the midi setup, the static sound to configure speakers works for "built-in output" but not for the "built-in line output" so I'm pretty sure built-in output is where I should focus. I know the feed to speakers is working because I can connect another device to it and hear things fine. I tried making an aggregate device in the midi setup to the same results- nothing from the line out. Would you have any further ideas?

On another note, one of the graphics in part 3 of this guide shows selecting Encoded Digital Audio from the midi setup for HDMI out. I can select it, but don't hear anything when I do, even when playing a dvd from dvd player. It works for 2 channel at 16, 20, or 24bit Integer though. I don't have the output going into any kind of receiver, just my Vizio tv/monitor.

I don't understand what is happening with the green port rear (referred to as "Internal Speakers" and "Built in Output", all the same port). You say you can hear the test tone and alerts on the green port rear but not audio?? The green port front works as Headphones, yes? Regarding Line Out, sometimes it works when you select it while iTunes is playing. Last resort is a reinstall of the AppleHDA.kext. One other point, you don't have 3/4 stereo outputs to configure an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup.

Regarding the Encoded Digital Audio, You need a DD or DTS source, a media player that outputs 5.1 (Plex, XMBC) and a receiver that processes DD or DTS. What you described above does not meet any these requirements.

toleda said:
I don't understand what is happening with the green port rear (referred to as "Internal Speakers" and "Built in Output", all the same port). You say you can hear the test tone and alerts on the green port rear but not audio?? The green port front works as Headphones, yes? Regarding Line Out, sometimes it works when you select it while iTunes is playing. Last resort is a reinstall of the AppleHDA.kext. One other point, you don't have 3/4 stereo outputs to configure an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup.

Regarding the Encoded Digital Audio, You need a DD or DTS source, a media player that outputs 5.1 (Plex, XMBC) and a receiver that processes DD or DTS. What you described above does not meet any these requirements.

I can't say what happened between when I posted and now, but Headphones is no longer an option in System Preferences/Sound. I _DO_ have "Internal Speakers" and it works now for the green port rear AND front - when headphones are plugged in, sound is as expected only through the front, and when they're not, the sound is sent through the rear port.

I do not recall seeing "Internal Speakers" previously and I know the list is different since Headphones isn't listed now. So I was confused before - confusing you - and perhaps I'm even more confused now! But things are working very nicely. "Line Out" I think I'll simply ignore - I don't hear anything out of any of the places I know to check when it's selected in SysPrefs/Sound.

I think things sound noticeably better with HDMI than through the rear green port even through the same speakers/amplifier!

Thank you for clarifying about Encoded Digital Audio. Clearly I am no audiophile and just about ignorant on many topics surrounding modern day audio. Your help has been a real boon and I'm glad for all the great information and kindness. :)

Anyone who's thinking about going through the steps to make it happen - I encourage you. This was definitely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back