Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Do you know if you have the older or newer LG UltraFine 5K? I think the newer one has Titan Ridge controller inside. You should be able to see the Titan Ridge controller in the output of ioreg in macOS or in Device Manager in Windows.

Please run the following commands in macOS when the display is running at 5K and when it is reset to 4K.
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1
system_profiler SPUSBDataType SPThunderboltDataType SPPCIDataType > system_profiler.txt
Change the file names for each output file and post the results. The commands will show how the display is connected to the GPU.

I have the older LG UltraFine 5K.
Here are the results of the commands. Running the system_profiler command gave me the following message: "system_profiler[581:12249] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be" but log file contain USB informations.

Thank you.

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose_a_4K.txt
    52.8 KB · Views: 93
  • AGDCDiagnose_a_5K.txt
    88.1 KB · Views: 78
  • system_profiler_4K.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 422
  • system_profiler_5K.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
I have the older LG UltraFine 5K.
Here are the results of the commands. Running the system_profiler command gave me the following message: "system_profiler[581:12249] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be" but log file contain USB informations.
By comparing AGDCDiagnose_a_4K.txt and AGDCDiagnose_a_5K.txt, the only thing I can see wrong is that when running at 4K, it thinks that only the second DisplayPort is connected.

Also, the LG UltraFine Display Camera is not connected while at 4K.

Thunderbolt appears to be working in either case, because the FL1100 USB controller of the LG UltraFine 5K display is listed in the PCIe devices and the USB devices.

Info from ioreg -ilrw0 -c IOPCIDevice > ioregpci.txt will tell for sure if the display is the new or old version but that won't help here.

I guess what is needed is a fix that can tell the GPU to look for new DisplayPort connections after wake or startup. I don't know how to do that. Maybe this is a problem that can be fixed with a change to WhateverGreen.

Maybe start with different agdpmod settings.

By comparing AGDCDiagnose_a_4K.txt and AGDCDiagnose_a_5K.txt, the only thing I can see wrong is that when running at 4K, it thinks that only the second DisplayPort is connected.

Also, the LG UltraFine Display Camera is not connected while at 4K.

Thunderbolt appears to be working in either case, because the FL1100 USB controller of the LG UltraFine 5K display is listed in the PCIe devices and the USB devices.

Info from ioreg -ilrw0 -c IOPCIDevice > ioregpci.txt will tell for sure if the display is the new or old version but that won't help here.

I guess what is needed is a fix that can tell the GPU to look for new DisplayPort connections after wake or startup. I don't know how to do that. Maybe this is a problem that can be fixed with a change to WhateverGreen.

Maybe start with different agdpmod settings.

Thank you joevt for your help. It seems that agdpmod has 3 possible values:

agdpmod=vit9696 disables check for board-id (or add agdpmod property to external GPU)
agdpmod=pikera replaces board-id with board-ix
agdpmod=ignore disables AGDP patches (vit9696,pikera value is implicit default for external GPUs)

I'm currently using OpenCore 0.5.3, do you think i should give a try with clover?

Thanks

Thank you joevt for your help. It seems that agdpmod has 3 possible values:

agdpmod=vit9696 disables check for board-id (or add agdpmod property to external GPU)
agdpmod=pikera replaces board-id with board-ix
agdpmod=ignore disables AGDP patches (vit9696,pikera value is implicit default for external GPUs)

I'm currently using OpenCore 0.5.3, do you think i should give a try with clover?

Thanks

Try with pikera initially. That works for me, although sometimes I still need to unplug and replug the display to get full 5K resolution.

Try with pikera initially. That works for me, although sometimes I still need to unplug and replug the display to get full 5K resolution.

Thank you tonyarnold but I already use pikera as agdpmod value. Here are my arguments: keepsyms=1 slide=0 shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 agdpmod=pikera

Last edited:
I'm planning a new Ultrafine 5k build. Are there any "2020 Golden Builds" out there?
Can anyone confirm that a AMD 5700 XT GPU with a DP to USB-C works without a TB Card (Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge)? If yes, what guide did you follow? would it work both with Z370, Z390 and X299 motherboards?

@watug you'll find that you can only get 4K resolution out of a DP to USB-C connector. You need 2 x DP 1.2 leading into 1 x Thunderbolt 3 out for this to work, currently - that's what the LG displays expect.

You can't avoid a Titan or Alpine Ridge card if you want this to work at full resolution.

@tonyarnold What MB would you recommend? Are there any up to date Ultrafine 5K guides out there?

@watug I don't know of any recently updated guides. I use a Titan Ridge card with my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard, but everybody has different use cases, and many people see quite different results with similar hardware.

I couldn't make a recommendation that you bother with Thunderbolt 3 on your hackintosh. If you can avoid it, your life will be a lot simpler. Are there any 4K displays that you would be happy with?

I cannot live without my Ultrafine 5K display, so no. Would you recommend X299, Z370 or Z390 ?

Back