Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

@tonyarnold does your setup (with x299 Designare) work 100% with true 5K resolution? Do you have the 2016 or 2019 Ultrafine 5K? How quickly does it wake from sleep? Do you have any issues at all? @bluepr0 report it being 6-7 seconds with Asus Z370 motherboard and Titan Ridge AIC.

@tonyarnold does your setup (with x299 Designare) work 100% with true 5k resolution?

Yes, it does work with 5K resolution. My board is not the Designaire. It is the Prime Deluxe.

Do you have the 2016 or 2019 Ultrafine 5k?

It's the 2016 model - the A series that was release first with WiFi shielding issues.

How quickly does it wake from sleep? Do you have any issues at all? @bluepr0 report it being 6-7 seconds with Asus z370 motherboard and Titan Ridge AIC.

Yeah, it's not quick to wake from sleep. Only a few seconds longer than my MBP does with the same display. The main issue is that I need to disconnect and reconnect the display on wake to get "true" 5K. Small inconveniences, in my opinion.

Nice one! Which profile are you using? I started using iMac 19,1 recently, which weird works with everything sleep & wake included (got TB3 PNP on my Z390 working, too). Good to know Catalina works fine on 5k builds.
Ok, what was once exactly like my Mojave build didn't work for Catalina.

agdpmod=pikera did the trick.

The simple bootflag (agdpmod=pikera) fix worked for me trying to get my detached iMac 5k display (LM270QQ1) to work in 5K with the 5k driver board R9A18 (from china.) The diver board shows up as Dell UP2715K on my Asus Z370-A under Catalina 15.3 (with iMacPro1,1) via Radeon Vii using 2 DP's feeding the R9A18 driver board. After trying to fix the fact that two displays were annoyingly showing up in System Preferences -> Displays and what's worse - no 5k resolution, I was able to fix it by your suggested bootflag agdpmod=pikera. I now get only 1 display show up as UP2715K, and several scale options, including the 5k (5120x2880 @ 60Hz.) Easy fix, thanks.

Last edited:
I've heard that Titan Ridge would not work, as it would conflict with z390, but Alpine Ridge should work.

Spent 3 days to read through the whole thread :)

I have a Gigabyte Designare Z390 board, does it matter if I pick up GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge?
I've heard that Titan Ridge would not work, as it would conflict with z390, but Alpine Ridge should work.
Both cards should work, but it will be necessary to jumper pins 3 and 5 of the 5-pin Thunderbolt header on the card itself.

I'm trying to get an (old version) UltraFine 5K to work in Windows 10,
  • Using a GC-Titan Ridge card
  • Gigabyte Z390M, with an i5 9400F (without iGPU)
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700
I've got most things working (USB, Audio, image at boot), _except_ 5K resolution. I've done some reading into MST and how the (old) UltraFine uses two DP 1.2 streams. I was certain I could get this to work, since the card has two Mini DisplayPort inputs.

And yet, when I plug those DP > mDP cables, the card only ever detects Mini DisplayPort 1. The second input is never used. I can use all the outputs from the graphics card and they work on the input #1, but the second one just doesn't do anything.
I've got the header, USB, and power cables all properly connect. I'm at the end of my rope and have no idea what could cause this to not work.

I've been reading other people that got Titan Ridge to work, but maybe they only got it to work with the 2019 UltraFine?

I'm trying to get an (old version) UltraFine 5K to work in Windows 10,
  • Using a GC-Titan Ridge card
  • Gigabyte Z390M, with an i5 9400F (without iGPU)
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700
I've got most things working (USB, Audio, image at boot), _except_ 5K resolution. I've done some reading into MST and how the (old) UltraFine uses two DP 1.2 streams. I was certain I could get this to work, since the card has two Mini DisplayPort inputs.

And yet, when I plug those DP > mDP cables, the card only ever detects Mini DisplayPort 1. The second input is never used. I can use all the outputs from the graphics card and they work on the input #1, but the second one just doesn't do anything.
I've got the header, USB, and power cables all properly connect. I'm at the end of my rope and have no idea what could cause this to not work.

I've been reading other people that got Titan Ridge to work, but maybe they only got it to work with the 2019 UltraFine?
Could be a bad Titan Ridge. Do you have a Thunderbolt dock or adapter that you can connect two 4K or smaller displays to? That way you can test if each connection is working. Use the AGDCDiagnose command to verify the connections (you should see two connections to the GPU).

Could be a bad Titan Ridge. Do you have a Thunderbolt dock or adapter that you can connect two 4K or smaller displays to? That way you can test if each connection is working. Use the AGDCDiagnose command to verify the connections (you should see two connections to the GPU).

Funny note: I actually bought a second Titan Ridge card last week to test that! I feel like this one comes from a different batch, but it still does the same thing.

I do have a Thunderbolt 3 hub that outputs a single HDMI, but that won't be of much use, will it?

I'm not running MacOS on my desktop at the moment, so I can't run AGDCDiagnose from that just yet. Is there a windows equivalent to that?

Some of the things I suspect might be that the Radeon just get that I want two 1.2 outputs, rather than a single 1.4. I'm trying to find someone else's machine with an Nvidia card.
Another thing I thought could be problematic, is that my cpu doesn't have an iGPU, so might not join the signal properly. I haven't found anyone else here or elsewhere that's trying the same thing with an 'F' cpu, though.

Back