Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Thanks. And connect it to a Thunderbolt capable motherboard to get the controls enabled?
Yes. For best results, you may want to choose a motherboard that is supported by GC-TITAN RIDGE. The support webpage says it is compatible with H370/B360-series motherboards. The card will work in other motherboards but there could be issues with BIOS settings, hot-plug, etc. I've tried it successfully in a 2008 Mac Pro (doesn't have Thunderbolt support) and a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (no Thunderbolt header - I disabled Thunderbolt in BIOS).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. For best results, you may want to choose a motherboard that is supported by GC-TITAN RIDGE. The support webpage says it is compatible with H370/B360-series motherboards. The card will work in other motherboards but there could be issues with BIOS settings, hot-plug, etc. I've tried it successfully in a 2008 Mac Pro (doesn't have Thunderbolt support) and a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (no Thunderbolt header - I disabled Thunderbolt in BIOS).

It is true, Titan Ridge does not support in my z370 Aorus gaming7 either. I am currently using Alpine Ridge. When I install TTR my bios' Thunderbolt option is gone. But it is working with Thunderbolt app in Windows and well recognized. However, there is some issue with resolution. It should work over4k using one Dp1.4 cable but it is not. Only 4k by one cable but using two Dp1.4 cables working like Alpine ridge. BTW it is weird issue on macOS, It keeps losing signal and only working a half side of screen showing. Sometimes good sometimes not,, I tried to play with it for several days and I came back to Alpine Ridge.

BTW, why my Ultrafine is going to be black using whatevergreen? anyone fix this? It is working if I am using another monitor as a primary boot but not for Ultrafine as primary. And even if it booted up with another monitor, extra empty display added in my profile and the 5k is not enabled.

Without using whatevergreen, everything is ok but I can not use my Intel Graphics without WEG.

WEG was working well until WEG v1.14 but after that, it went black screen.

Anyone know How to fix this? I hope Intelgraphicsfixup is separated by WEG again.

However, there is some issue with resolution. It should work over4k using one Dp1.4 cable but it is not. Only 4k by one cable but using two Dp1.4 cables working like Alpine ridge.
No, the LG UltraFine 5K displays is a dual link SST DisplayPort 1.2 display. It will not accept a DisplayPort 1.4 signal. There is no difference between DisplayPort 1.2 and DisplayPort 1.4 cables. DisplayPort 1.4 cables might be higher quality or at least tested at DisplayPort 1.4 speeds but I think any DisplayPort 1.2 cable that doesn't work at DisplayPort 1.4 speed doesn't meet DisplayPort spec. Adapters are a different issue.

Is this monitor confirmed to be working at native 5k on z370 with an alpine ridge card? As in macos recognizes only the one display and not two that are split in half (only showing 1440p)? My macos installation refuses to boot with my z170 motherboard's thunderbolt enabled. It has the alpine ridge workaround but on boot it says it "couldn't allocate runtime area".
Maybe it has something to do with the fact I am booting off an nvme drive? When I enable thunderbolt it disables native pci-e, but one of my m.2 slots still works.

The weird thing is, when I took a screenshot in High Sierra with the same setup, the capture came out as 5120x2880, although I'm not sure if the monitor was outputting true 5k. When I take a screenshot in Mojave, it comes out as 2560x1440, which makes sense since it is being recognized as two monitors.

My best guess is without thunderbolt enabled the usb interface is disabled, but the alpine ridge card still funnels both displayport connections through thunderbolt 3, which causes macos to recognize 'two' monitors but there is only one. I'm thinking if macos can recognize the monitor over usb, the driver should load and it should work as intended, and not seen as two separate monitors. That theoretically would be solved by enabling thunderbolt on the motherboard.

I'm trying to figure out wether I should sell this monitor and replace it with one that is more compatible, or upgrade to z370 and get native thunderbolt 3 compatibility. @joevt are you getting native 5k with your gigabyte board?

Last edited:
Is this monitor confirmed to be working at native 5k on z370 with an alpine ridge card? As in macos recognizes only the one display and not two that are split in half (only showing 1440p)? My macos installation refuses to boot with my z170 motherboard's thunderbolt enabled. It has the alpine ridge workaround but on boot it says it "couldn't allocate runtime area".
Maybe it has something to do with the fact I am booting off an nvme drive? When I enable thunderbolt it disables native pci-e, but one of my m.2 slots still works.

The weird thing is, when I took a screenshot in High Sierra with the same setup, the capture came out as 5120x2880, although I'm not sure if the monitor was outputting true 5k. When I take a screenshot in Mojave, it comes out as 2560x1440, which makes sense since it is being recognized as two monitors.

My best guess is without thunderbolt enabled the usb interface is disabled, but the alpine ridge card still funnels both displayport connections through thunderbolt 3, which causes macos to recognize 'two' monitors but there is only one. I'm thinking if macos can recognize the monitor over usb, the driver should load and it should work as intended, and not seen as two separate monitors. That theoretically would be solved by enabling thunderbolt on the motherboard.

I'm trying to figure out wether I should sell this monitor and replace it with one that is more compatible, or upgrade to z370 and get native thunderbolt 3 compatibility. @joevt are you getting native 5k with your gigabyte board?
The 5K should appear as a single display when you're using an AMD graphics card. There is a patch for Nvidia and LG UltraFine 5K display. I am using a Dell 5K display (direct dual DisplayPort 1.2, no Thunderbolt 3).

For those who want a 5K monitor, but want a monitor with a bit more flexibility (DisplayPort 1.4, OSD controls) then you could consider the Planar IX2790 if you can get your hands on one.

http://www.planar.com/products/desktop-touch-screen-monitors/24-inch/ix2790/#!tab=overview
I have seen confirmation that DisplayPort 1.4 displays like the LG 34WK95U work with AMD graphics. Haven't seen anyone try DisplayPort 1.4 with Nvidia yet.

Help please. :banghead:

I have an Asus Prime Z370A with a GTX 1080Ti, running W10 & High Sierra. I have a DP monitor, but it's broke: All the left pixels (30%) are black.
So I got the new LG 5K Thunderbolt monitor and ordered a ThunderboltEX 3 adapter.
I believe there's something to tweak in the BIOS, however, in Advanced mode, I can't see on the working monitor what's on the left menu under Thunderbolt Configurator… So I just Enabled everything.

If anyone has the same BIOS and knows what to Enable (by heart), so I can "blindly" select on the left Bios menu whatever's necessary to install the 5K monitor.

I have an Asus Prime Z370A with a GTX 1080Ti, running W10 & High Sierra. I have a DP monitor, but it's broke: All the left pixels (30%) are black.
So I got the new LG 5K Thunderbolt monitor and ordered a ThunderboltEX 3 adapter.
I believe there's something to tweak in the BIOS, however, in Advanced mode, I can't see on the working monitor what's on the left menu under Thunderbolt Configurator… So I just Enabled everything.

If anyone has the same BIOS and knows what to Enable (by heart), so I can "blindly" select on the left Bios menu whatever's necessary to install the 5K monitor.
The ThunderboltEX 3 has only one DisplayPort 1.2 input. The LG UltraFine 5K requires two DisplayPort 1.2 connections to support 5K 60 Hz but I think you should be able to get 4K to work. Use a TV or another display to help setup your BIOS.

The ThunderboltEX 3 has only one DisplayPort 1.2 input. The LG UltraFine 5K requires two DisplayPort 1.2 connections to support 5K 60 Hz but I think you should be able to get 4K to work. Use a TV or another display to help setup your BIOS.

Thanks for the tip.
So the LG plugs TB into the Ex 3.
The Ex 3 plugs in mini Display to DP to the GPU.
The GPU takes a 2nd DP into the MB, correct?

Aside enabling everything in the Bios under Tb config, is there anything else in the Bios?
(I've also made sure it activated the correct PCE under "Boot" Menu; but it still doesn't work). IMG_3940.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all! I'm interested in making a LG UltraFine 5K build as well as I have yet to find a display that wow's me that much. That said, it seems like the success stories revolve around the GC-Alpine Ridge for now which is the only device that has two display port input signals.

With the new Z390 motherboards, Gigabyte just confirmed to me that none will have the required Thunderbolt headers for the Alpine Ridge. One solution now is to go with the Z370 boards which should get support with the 9th gen. Intel CPUs as well. But I'm also looking at the Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0) motherboard. It comes with built-in Thunderbolt support and apparently supports driving a 5K display at 60Hz. Compared to the Alpine Ridge, it only has one Display Port input but that seems to be DP1.4 vs the DP1.2 inputs on the Alpine.

Do you think a setup with the Z390 DESIGNARE would work? Are some of you thinking about a similar setup?

Back