Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Doesn't WhateverGreen have the same fix, and you just need to add one of the options to the boot arguments in your config file?
What argument?

I tried using Vega5KFixup kernel extension and that didn't work, monitors still come up as duplicate and fan speed is still only at 100%. My system can read my GPU's temperature through hardware monitor but other than making my boot up time around ~5 minutes long I don't think the kext that enables it does anything else.

The kexts i have in my efi are:
Lilu.kext
FakeSMC.kext
RadeonMonitor.kext
VegaGraphicsFixup.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

What kexts do you use?
You need to update clover and delete WhateverGreen kext.

I updated Clover to the latest version and deleted Whatevergreen.kext. Now when I try to boot into Mac the Apple logo doesn't even show up anymore. I tried booting from an older version of clover on my mac installation USB, and the Apple logo shows up but, when it finishes booting, it boots to a black screen. I re-added whatevergreen.kext and the others I mentioned in my earlier reply through Windows. The Apple logo still doesn't show up when using the latest version of Clover on my computer. Still boots to a black screen from my USB. Did I do something wrong?

What argument?

All the arguments are described in:
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen

I use agdpmod=pikera
Without the argument, my computer boots with two displays, one 2560x1600 and
another at 2560x2880. I can turn off the display and turn it on again to make it one display as 5120x2880 but that's a hassle. With the argument, it boots as one 5120x2880 display.

All the arguments are described in:
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen

I use agdpmod=pikera
Without the argument, my computer boots with two displays, one 2560x1600 and
another at 2560x2880. I can turn off the display and turn it on again to make it one display as 5120x2880 but that's a hassle. With the argument, it boots as one 5120x2880 display.

I tried using that boot argument but the same thing still happens. What do you mean by turning off the display? As in unplugging it from the thunderbolt end and re plugging it in?

Hi there.

I got to work LG UltraFine 5K on Strix RX580 with bootarg `agdpmod=pikera` (thanks @joevt)

Without this bootarg I had two troubles:
- there was two displays (LG UltraFine (1) and LG UltraFine (2))
- it seems was 4k, not full 5k. Image was a little blurry

I tried using that boot argument but the same thing still happens. What do you mean by turning off the display? As in unplugging it from the thunderbolt end and re plugging it in?
Yes, just turn off the display, wait 5 seconds, and turn it on again.

I am looking for any reports of using DDC/CI to control brightness of the LG UltraFine 5K (macOS or Windows). What app did you use and did it work?

Hi there.

I got to work LG UltraFine 5K on Strix RX580 with bootarg `agdpmod=pikera` (thanks @joevt)

Without this bootarg I had two troubles:
- there was two displays (LG UltraFine (1) and LG UltraFine (2))
- it seems was 4k, not full 5k. Image was a little blurry

That bootarg works for me partially, my monitor is still recognized as two displays but I'm pretty sure the resolution is 5k, I took a screenshot and the resolution of the image was 5k. Not sure if that's a good way to check but it is still two displays in settings and in switchresx.

To add: What are you using to adapt to the display? An alpine ridge card?

Last edited:
Yes, just turn off the display, wait 5 seconds, and turn it on again.

I am looking for any reports of using DDC/CI to control brightness of the LG UltraFine 5K (macOS or Windows). What app did you use and did it work?

When the display powers back on, nothing shows back up on screen. Same thing happens if the monitor goes to sleep, or if I lock the screen. Once it's on, I can't turn it off or else I have to reboot.

As far as trying to control the brightness, I haven't looked into it that much yet. I tried binding brightness adjustment buttons in bettertouchtool but that didn't work. So far I have just been plugging it into my macbook to change the brightness.

That bootarg works for me partially, my monitor is still recognized as two displays but I'm pretty sure the resolution is 5k, I took a screenshot and the resolution of the image was 5k. Not sure if that's a good way to check but it is still two displays in settings and in switchresx.

To add: What are you using to adapt to the display? An alpine ridge card?

Yes, I use Alpine Ridge (rev 2.0) without any additional setting in BIOS.

If you want to check full 5k by visual way you should look at any system icon with sharp edges.
For example I looked at icon on System Preferences Window with 12 small squares. It must be sharp squares when 5k full.
Also all 1pt dividers in all UI must be sharp.

Attachments

• System Preferences 2018-08-08 23-53-14.png
    System Preferences 2018-08-08 23-53-14.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 215
Hello,

I have a question to those driving the display with a RX580: What is the average temperature of the card? Is the fan still off for longer periods? I noticed that when I connect two 1080p displays to the RX580, the fan goes on more often than when connecting only 1 display.

And another question regarding the connection with two DP cables via Alpine Ridge: Does the monitor work on the first DP cable (only) before the driver initialises the 5k mode? So do you see the BIOS setting, Clover boot screen, Windows without special driver etc in lower resolutions (through the first DP cable) and the second DP cable is added only when the driver switches to 5k?

Back