Contribute
Register

Lepus48's Asus Strix Z370-F, with i7-8700k / RX 570 / 2x 4k Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
They automatically work like a retina display after installing the Nvidia drivers. By default, window and text sizes are the same as what you'd expect from a 27" 1080p monitor, but are much, much sharper. The display control panel calls it "Looks Like 1920 x 1080".

Also - I should mention I'm using displayport for both monitors. macOS doesn't support HDMI 2.0, as far as I know, so displayport is the only way to get 60hz @ 4k.

That's awesome!!! Great news, thank you!

Do you have audio after wake from sleep ?

Do you have audio after wake from sleep ?

I've been keeping the machine awake for crypto mining, but tested just now and, sure enough, no audio after sleep. Installing CodecCommander as referenced in pastrychef's thread fixed the problem.

I updated the original post with the fix. Thanks.

You indicate that wifi and bluetooth work, but I don't see how you enabled them, or if they just worked. I have this same motherboard, and while the bluetooth adapter is found in the USB list, it's not enabled as an actual bluetooth device.

Also, the built-in wifi isn't detected.

Did you do something special?

I have the z370-f gaming, which doesn't have builtin Wifi or Bluetooth. Maybe you have a different board?

For Wifi and Bluetooth, I use the Fenvi FV-T919 linked in the post. Its the tiny card on installed on the bottom PCI-express slot. macOS detects it as an Airport Extreme and no special drivers or configs are needed. The company that makes them explicitly lists hackintosh support and I think they must be using the exact chipsets as a real Apple Broadcom Airport Extreme.

I have the z370-f gaming, which doesn't have builtin Wifi or Bluetooth. Maybe you have a different board?

For Wifi and Bluetooth, I use the Fenvi FV-T919 linked in the post. Its the tiny card on installed on the bottom PCI-express slot. macOS detects it as an Airport Extreme and no special drivers or configs are needed. The company that makes them explicitly lists hackintosh support and I think they must be using the exact chipsets as a real Apple Broadcom Airport Extreme.
Ahh yes, I have the E version apparently, which has WiFi and Bluetooth built in.

I do see this trend a lot, where "working" means "with added hardware" but that's not clear when you start out what "working" means.

I added another couple of sticks of RAM and had to configure them in Clover for macOS to see them.

I've added the details to the OP.

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you fixed the memory slot issues with a simple config.plist edit.
I also have an Asus Strix Z370-F up and running and some newbie questions:

1. To disable the Increase Max Port Limit 200 Series fix, is it enough to just set its flag to disabled?
2. How can we be sure native power management is working?
I compiled and ran AppleIntelInfo from https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelInfo but the output isn't self explanatory.
Is it necessary to generate ssdts via https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/pull/402 or is that only necessary when overclocking?

Hi,
1. To disable the Increase Max Port Limit 200 Series fix, is it enough to just set its flag to disabled?

Yeah, that will do it.

2. How can we be sure native power management is working?

I don't know.

The CPU does dynamically adjust its speed based on load. Monitoring via HW Monitor, I see all of the cores drop down during idle times and then ramp up during load. I don't know if there is additional OS power management to supplement that though, or how to tell if its working, assuming it exists. There's also conflicting information out there about whether ssdtPRGen is needed.

I do know that on my setup I get (slightly) better performance numbers for the CPU in macOS vs Windows 10 and that the CPU is hitting its full speed during peek times. Please let me know if you figure something out.

According to Rehabman everything from Haswell upwards doesn't need ssdtPRGen even when overclocking.
For working power management its enough to set ACPI->SSDT->PluginType enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back