Motherboard
Lenovo Yoga 910-13IKB | Clover UEFI
CPU
Intel Kaby Lake i7-7500U
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620 | UHD 3840x2160
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Does anybody that has the same specs as me, tried to hackintosh my specific machine? I've looked at some guides, there is nothing on the Lenovo Yoga 910, and I was wondering if someone has tried to install macOS. If you want more specs than what I already have in my profile, let me know.

Does anybody that has the same specs as me, tried to hackintosh my specific machine? I've looked at some guides, there is nothing on the Lenovo Yoga 910, and I was wondering if someone has tried to install macOS. If you want more specs than what I already have in my profile, let me know.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Pay attention to the Kaby Lake info in the FAQ. It is important.
Make sure you read the FAQ regarding UHD/4K displays (you will need the pixel clock patch to enable the 4k internal display).
You probably also have an NVMe drive, so make sure you read that too.

I'm a bit interested in this laptop, so let me know how it goes...

--

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
("Personal Details" link from "profile menu" in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Will deleting the MSR affect the pcie NVMe ssd? It uses a special Intel specific RAID driver, IRST - Intel rapid storage technology. Windows won't boot in AHCI, but will in IRST. I know the Mac installer won't see the ssd if it is in RAID (Linux won't even see it). The problem is that if I make a mistake, there is no reinstall fresh windows, because the IRST driver isn't installed on a fresh install, thus the windows installer won't be able to see the drive. FYI my MSR is second after EFI and is 16MB

Will deleting the MSR affect the pcie NVMe ssd? It uses a special Intel specific RAID driver, IRST - Intel rapid storage technology. Windows won't boot in AHCI, but will in IRST. I know the Mac installer won't see the ssd if it is in RAID (Linux won't even see it). The problem is that if I make a mistake, there is no reinstall fresh windows, because the IRST driver isn't installed on a fresh install, thus the windows installer won't be able to see the drive. FYI my MSR is second after EFI and is 16MB

Plan on doing a fresh install of Windows.
Set to SATA to AHCI mode (don't forget about SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext).
Note that the SATA mode does not affect NVMe (AFAIK).
The MSR partition is not used by Windows. It is a placeholder for other partition(s) in the case you use certain file system features (Storage Spaces, software RAID, etc.)

Last edited:
Plan on doing a fresh install of Windows.
I will try to create the macOS installer tomorrow. The good thing is that DVMT-prealloc is 128MB for Intel HD 620 (pretty sure, I'll try to verify in BIOS). I want to try to dual boot, but if I have to do a fresh install, none of this will work, due to IRST (and I'm already taking a risk because my Yoga is my daily driver). I don't mind going into BIOS setup and switching from IRST to AHCI (and vice versa) when I want to boot one or the other. I just don't know what deleting the MSR will do to my machine. I could just try to clone the SSD first. If I can safely determine for my specific machine, that deleting MSR won't affect anything, then I will follow the Clover UEFI dualboot guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mavericks-windows-8-on-same-drive-without-erasing.133940/

I will try to create the macOS installer tomorrow. The good thing is that DVMT-prealloc is 128MB for Intel HD 620 (pretty sure, I'll try to verify in BIOS).

Yes probably... we found the same with the Lenovo Yoga 710. If it is consistent across all Kaby Lake laptops, it is a good thing...

But the other big question about this laptop is whether the WiFi is replaceable. I'm assuming it has Intel WiFi, which is not supported. So, hopefully you can replace with BCM94352Z or BCM943602BAED without running into a BIOS whitelist issue.

I want to try to dual boot, but if I have to do a fresh install, none of this will work, due to IRST (and I'm already taking a risk because my Yoga is my daily driver).

If you have an NVMe drive, I don't see why the SATA mode has to be specifically setup for Intel RAID.
It is easy to remove the IRST drivers and go back to MS-AHCI (google it).

You should have a backup or recovery media for your Windows setup.
I say that in case you make a mistake.

I just don't know what deleting the MSR will do to my machine.

It has no effect (google to find its purpose... it is documented by Microsoft).
It is used (removed and new partition created in its spot) only for certain things you might do with Storage Spaces or other advanced file system things... (usually used only on servers).

I could just try to clone the SSD first.

Create system backup and OEM restore media.

Last edited:
Yes probably... we found the same with the Lenovo Yoga 710. If it is consistent across all Kaby Lake laptops, it is a good thing...

But the other big question about this laptop is whether the WiFi is replaceable. I'm assuming it has Intel WiFi, which is not supported. So, hopefully you can replace with BCM94352Z or BCM943602BAED without running into a BIOS whitelist issue.

If you have an NVMe drive, I don't see why the SATA mode has to be specifically setup for Intel RAID.
It is easy to remove the IRST drivers and go back to MS-AHCI (google it).

You should have a backup or recovery media for your Windows setup.
I say that in case you make a mistake.

It has no effect (google to find its purpose... it is documented by Microsoft).
It is used (removed and new partition created in its spot) only for certain things you might do with Storage Spaces or other advanced file system things... (usually used only on servers).

Create system backup and OEM restore media.

Making recovery media (and full sys and partition backup) currently.

WiFi: Listed as Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter) But I'm not worried because I can just get a usb wifi adapter that supports OS X ( that way I'm not fiddling with the insides until/unless I absolutely have to).
EDIT: WiFi is NOT supported, see here (hope external links are ok): http://osxarena.com/2015/10/wifi-co...xpress-and-ngff-card-for-mac-os-x-hackintosh/

I will also just for the sake of not having to fresh install, just switch between AHCI and IRST. if I get more experienced with hackintoshing later in time, I might just consider deleting both IRST and Windows all together and just run macOS.
EDIT: And I kinda like the speeds and built in features of IRST

Tomorrow I will have access to a Mac, so I will create an El Capitan installer (I don't want to chance running into issues with Sierra) and start this journey of hackintoshing!

Last edited:
WiFi: Listed as Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter) But I'm not worried because I can just get a usb wifi adapter that supports OS X ( that way I'm not fiddling with the insides until/unless I absolutely have to).

That WiFi is not supported. Will need to be replaced to make a reasonable hack. USB WiFi not recommended (read the FAQ).

I will also just for the sake of not having to fresh install, just switch between AHCI and IRST. if I get more experienced with hackintoshing later in time, I might just consider deleting both IRST and Windows all together and just run macOS.
EDIT: And I kinda like the speeds and built in features of IRST

No more speed with IRST. It is all a silly marketing gimmick.

Tomorrow I will have access to a Mac, so I will create an El Capitan installer (I don't want to chance running into issues with Sierra) and start this journey of hackintoshing!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

That WiFi is not supported. Will need to be replaced to make a reasonable hack. USB WiFi not recommended (read the FAQ).

No more speed with IRST. It is all a silly marketing gimmick.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

In the Clover UEFI installer, what's the difference between OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 ?

In the Clover UEFI installer, what's the difference between OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 ?

Two mutually exclusive alternatives to do the same thing.
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi usually works and is preferred.
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi can be used where OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi doesn't work.

For more information on the difference, refer to the Clover source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back