Contribute
Register

Lenovo Y50 with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Guide] Lenovo Y50

I haven't had much luck with VoodooHDA. I'm planning to work with it a bit more...

Yes, it is likely a problem with the xml.

That is normal. Two separate audio devices, two separate dumps...

Probably with Info.plist modification.

You still haven't responded to my first question :D

If i want to try Voodoo again I need to know if I have to delete HDMI fakepciid and the kext patch.

Also, can you look at that guide at help me with a few things ?

1. Do I use a native AppleHDA ?
2. Are the DSDT and the other patches needed in my case ?
(The part after "Clearly, you're not yet quite done. For this to work, you will need more-or-less the same DSDT edits you would use to enable HDMI audio normally (and if you're using an AMD card like me, you need to be sure your Framebuffer is correct, which I won't go into now)

The only departure from the tried-and-true DSDT edit for AMD cards is the following (I'm not entirely sure it is needed but I did it this way and it worked)
You must add the layout-id that normally goes in the HDEF section to the HDAU section, like this:")

3. Is it a good solution to use my current AppleHDA and put the ID of the HDMI card ?

I know it has all the pin configs and Pathmaps but maybe it will ignore the wrong ones and pick up just the HDMI ones ? maybe ? i dont know...

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

Actually, I did:

I asked "1. Does the FakePCIID and HDMI patch interfere with Voodoo ?" and you answered that you had no luck with VoodooHDA...

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

I asked "1. Does the FakePCIID and HDMI patch interfere with Voodoo ?" and you answered that you had no luck with VoodooHDA...

Meaning I have no relevant experience with VoodooHDA, therefore not possible for me to answer your question.

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

Meaning I have no relevant experience with VoodooHDA, therefore not possible for me to answer your question.

Ok.

So right now Mirone is helping me get my AppleHDA to work. I now see the port as iPhone Headset and S/PDIF but no Output/Input devices and laptop restarts when connected to HDMI. I'll see what he can do :)

The Wi-Fi card is going to arrive in a few days so I'll get that working too :D

For now there isn't a PCIE Driver for the Card Reader but @thedark-void said he will try writing a driver when he has time (we have the same model).

There are 3 "problems" that I always had.

1. The interface slow on some stuff (Application folder).

So basically you said maybe the framebuffer needs more "hmph"/power. How can that be achieved ? This laptop is obviously capable of running this interface at this resolution. It runs 4k video better than it does on windows. WAY BETTER.

Would it be a solution to use a SMBIOS for a Apple PC that has a very high resolution (since my laptop has a bigger resolution than the retina macbooks), like the iMac ?

2. Sometimes the computer shuts down (fan ? overheating?)

Basically when I run the "yes > /dev/null &" command a few times it shuts down.
Also it sometimes start overheating and I hear the fans going kinda fast and It shuts down (that happened twice). But that happend without any sort of cpu load (or that what I think.. I was basically just running chrome, kext utility and apps like these).

Why does this happen ? Is OS X reading the temperatures wrong and it thinks it's overheating ? Is OS X actually using more power than it needs and that causes in real overheating ?

I already checked with you if AppleLPC and Speedstep was working...

This is not really a problem now since I only boot in OS X when I'm patching it but I dont want this to happen when I use it for daily use.

3. Battery Management

So, as I already told you OS X is using too much battery.

Could that be related to my second problem ? Using too much power and then overheating etc

How do I check/fix this problem ?

Thanks ! I will make a guide when I make this laptop fully work (except SD Card Reader), I promise ! :D

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

1. The interface slow on some stuff (Application folder).

So basically you said maybe the framebuffer needs more "hmph"/power. How can that be achieved ? This laptop is obviously capable of running this interface at this resolution. It runs 4k video better than it does on windows. WAY BETTER.

Would it be a solution to use a SMBIOS for a Apple PC that has a very high resolution (since my laptop has a bigger resolution than the retina macbooks), like the iMac ?

You could alway try a different smbios...

2. Sometimes the computer shuts down (fan ? overheating?)

I already checked with you if AppleLPC and Speedstep was working...

You should check this again (didn't you recently re-install?)

3. Battery Management

So, as I already told you OS X is using too much battery.

If you have a power management problem, this would be expected.

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

You could alway try a different smbios...

You should check this again (didn't you recently re-install?)

If you have a power management problem, this would be expected.

So I just change SMBIOS and that's it ? Or does it involve other changes too (changing smbios).

Are there any more options I could try for this problem ?

How do I check power management and Power consumption ? (uploading ioreg and patchmatic ?)

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

So I just change SMBIOS and that's it ? Or does it involve other changes too (changing smbios).

Are there any more options I could try for this problem ?

Just change to other Haswell smbios and test. But you should verify CPU PM/IGPU PM/nvidia disable/AppleLPC first.

How do I check power management and Power consumption ? (uploading ioreg and patchmatic ?)

Using IORegistryExplorer, check:
- search for AppleLPC (you should find it)
- search for NullCPU (you should NOT find it)
- search for X86PlatformPlugin (you should find it)
- graphics object is called IGPU, not GFX0
- nvidia is disabled... search for nvda [going from memory] (you should NOT find it)

In addition, test pstates.

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

Just change to other Haswell smbios and test. But you should verify CPU PM/IGPU PM/nvidia disable/AppleLPC first.

Using IORegistryExplorer, check:
- search for AppleLPC (you should find it)
- search for NullCPU (you should NOT find it)
- search for X86PlatformPlugin (you should find it)
- graphics object is called IGPU, not GFX0
- nvidia is disabled... search for nvda [going from memory] (you should NOT find it)

In addition, test pstates.

I will do that once I boot in OS X.

I want to ask you something about changing SMBIOS.

Is SMBIOS only CPU-related or does it change other things too? Im afraid that by changing SMBIOS some thinks will stop working (like the laptop lid > sleep. since the imac is not a laptop).

[Guide] Lenovo Y50

I want to ask you something about changing SMBIOS.

Is SMBIOS only CPU-related or does it change other things too? Im afraid that by changing SMBIOS some thinks will stop working (like the laptop lid > sleep. since the imac is not a laptop).

It can affect many things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back