i7-2630QM
Graphics
HD 6490M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Bit of a long shot, but I have a Mackie Onyx1640i FireWire I/O desk. Ventura stopped supporting CoreAudio over FireWire. I thought that perhaps one of you gurus might be able to conjure up a way of hacking an older Core Audio driver from an OSX build that supported FireWire so that it could be installed into Ventura and allow the mountains of incredible gear that uses this protocol to continue working, and save the planet from an unnecessary pile of e-waste.

Thanks!

em

Ventura stopped supporting CoreAudio over FireWire. I thought that perhaps one of you gurus might be able to conjure up a way of hacking an older Core Audio driver from an OSX build that supported FireWire so that it could be installed into Ventura
Why not just stay with a version of macOS that supports CoreAudio over FireWire ?

Using the same computer for other work applications that require staying up to date with Mac OS releases. It's also not very practical or convenient to try and have multiple computers for different applications, although that's the approach I'm using right now. It's a pain in the neck and tries my patience every time I need to use it, but that's all I can do right now, until I (and I suspect thousands of others!) can pay a developer some money for their ingenious and lucrative utility that has this functionality.

Using the same computer for other work applications that require staying up to date with Mac OS releases. It's also not very practical or convenient to try and have multiple computers for different applications, although that's the approach I'm using right now. It's a pain in the neck and tries my patience every time I need to use it, but that's all I can do right now, until I (and I suspect thousands of others!) can pay a developer some money for their ingenious and lucrative utility that has this functionality.
A bit late but you can check this workaround :

Thanks for that. Yes, I can say that I've been using that now for about a week and it's working brilliantly. Only issue is that you have to keep SIP disabled for it to keep working. Other than that, it's really great.
I have tried the same hack for my TI firewire card with my Focusrite Liquid 56 and it works flawlessly. I re-enable SIP after installation, upgraded to Macos Ventura 13.3 and it still working 100%. Thanks all

I just ran across this hack and I'm .. Excited!! I need XCODE 14.3 and I'm stuck on Monterey because of this Firewire issue.

1. does SIP need to stay disabled? There are two conflicting messages above on this?

2. I presume I'd just copy it into my OpenCore installation? I'm now running Monterey so I Have the latest version of that kext.

3. Do I really .. Need .. that 'modified' version in the hack (that seemed to be for 'off-the-shelf' Macs?) or will OpenCore simply inject my Original Unmodified kext and perform it's magic to make it work?

4. What are the negatives of disabling SIP? Honestly - after I got OpenCore Monterey working I've Forgotten so much about the important settings like that. With what I've read about malware taking more of an interest in Macs .. I'd love to find a resource on which settings are Important for security and safety.

I'm curious to know what the latest with this hack is. I've been struggling trying to figure out what to do about my situation. I need to get a firewire audio interface working somehow...

I have a Ventura hackintosh with thunderbolt 4 ports. After wasting my money buying the 2 adapters (TB3->TB2, TB2->FW) I discovered that these won't work with TB4 ports. So now I have put a firewire PCIe card in the computer which works for hard drives but my FW audio interface is not recognized. I found the posts about using this Monterey kext hack, but instead of installing their package and disabling SIP I just tried injecting the kext with Opencore.

It doesn't seem to work. The kext is not loading. I don't know why. I'm using another Monterey kext in the same way (AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext) for my ethernet and that works fine.

Has anyone been able to make this work? Seems the next thing to try is actually use that hacked installer and disable SIP, but that seems so dumb when Opencore can inject kexts...

maybe this will help? I posted the kext I used and modifications to config.plist for OC 0.8.8. I do Not have SIP disabled (I don't think)?

@Xyla

It doesn't work (OC method of initialising) because that kext specifically requires installation back into the main system directory. It is a core system item so to speak, hence requires a permissions build/repair and SIP to be disabled..

That said Apple has officially removed all Coreaudio FW functionality out of Ventura. So running Monterey would be a better fit for you. This kext someone had uploaded is only a temporary fix.

As for the TB4 issue on your new board, you could try using TB3 SSDTs instead. The TB ports work for me on my Gigabyte Z590I Vision D board which has a TB4 Maple Ridge. TB device needs to be plugged in at boot for it to work. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...igabyte-vision-d-i9-11900k-amd-rx6600.317472/

Back