GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (bios F5b)
CPU
Core i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello.

After Nvidia decided to no longer sign web drivers for High Sierra, I was forced to upgrade my GPU and consequently update macOS and the bootloader to OC. After the install and a few tweaks here and there, my system was ready for me to take advantage of my new powerful GPU... or so I thought. The first thing I did was preview some videos in the Finder, and surprise, they all played back a bit laggy. I never had problems previewing videos with my GTX 970 GPU, and so I'm certain something in wrong somewhere in my configuration.

During post-install, I did run VDADecoderChecker (as suggested by Dortania), and came up with this:

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.37.44.png

Not sure what else to share, except a few screens from my config.plist:

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.22.39.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.22.49.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.22.57.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 18.23.06.png

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

After Nvidia decided to no longer sign web drivers for High Sierra, I was forced to upgrade my GPU and consequently update macOS and the bootloader to OC. After the install and a few tweaks here and there, my system was ready for me to take advantage of my new powerful GPU... or so I thought. The first thing I did was preview some videos in the Finder, and surprise, they all played back a bit laggy. I never had problems previewing videos with my GTX 970 GPU, and so I'm certain something in wrong somewhere in my configuration.

During post-install, I did run VDADecoderChecker (as suggested by Dortania), and came up with this:

View attachment 549966

Not sure what else to share, except a few screens from my config.plist:

View attachment 549967View attachment 549968View attachment 549969View attachment 549970

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

Have you done a test with Geekbench 5 and have you enabled agdpmod=pikera in the boot-arg? I believe it may be that. Also after Monterey 12.3 there was a bug which affected all AMD GPU acceleration speeds.
Please have a look at this thread here for the fix > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...00-graphics-cards.319421/page-10#post-2312828

Not that I'm aware of
@Middleman - the bug that was introduced in 12.3 that affected many of the AMD GPUs was fixed in 12.3.1 and beyond. This bug was evident in across all benchmark programs where OpenGL and Metal performance was half as fast as normal.

During the period when we had updated to 12.3 and were waiting for the next update, many of us found that we could inject the framebuffers for our card, and that solved the issue. After 12.3.1, we no longer had to do this after Apple addressed it.

Is that the bug you were thinking of, or is there another one?

@Middleman - the bug that was introduced in 12.3 that affected many of the AMD GPUs was fixed in 12.3.1 and beyond. This bug was evident in across all benchmark programs where OpenGL and Metal performance was half as fast as normal.

During the period when we had updated to 12.3 and were waiting for the next update, many of us found that we could inject the framebuffers for our card, and that solved the issue. After 12.3.1, we no longer had to do this after Apple addressed it.

Is that the bug you were thinking of, or is there another one?
Yes that was the one. I wasn't aware of the 12.3.1 fix however since my RX6600 was fine.

Okay, so should I add these aml's to my EFI/OC/ACPI?

Only if you are using 12.3. If you are, I would update the OS before using the framebuffer hack.

What version of OC are you on? The screenshots look like 0.6.0? I might try updating to the latest OC and associated kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back