Contribute
Register

Kernel Panics, Freezes and Audio, Oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z87x-ud5h
CPU
3.4Gb i7 4770k
Graphics
GTX660 2Gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All, and thanks in advance for your help.

I've had my Hack up for about 18 months and things have been mostly good. Lately, I've developed some weirdness that's just confounding me. I've spent hours trolling through the boards looking for solutions and I may be more confused now than before (too much knowledge?).

The issues are Kernel Panics and Freezes (Mavericks and Yosemite) and no audio (Yosemite). Long story short, I started experiencing kernel panics and freezes on my Mavericks system a few months ago. Kernel panics happen at startup (on white apple screen). Freezes happen randomly.

Got fed up with it and ordered an SSD to clean-install Yosemite thinking this would fix things. Yup, you guessed it, it didn't fix it. I'm now experiencing freezes and kernel panics at startup across both OSes, though the freezes are far more frequent on Yosemite.

Here's a list of my build:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H (BIOS firmware f5)
Processor - i7 4770k
Video - EVGA GTX660
RAM - 32GB of Corsair Vengeance
Drives - 2x Seagate Barracuda, 1x Samsung EVO 840

I think I'm supposed to add system log from Console somewhere here, but I'm not sure what to include.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leon -

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Panics
Here are a few pics of different panics. Example 1 is a composite of 6-8 photos so tell me if you can't read it. Also, first time using these discussion boards so if the photos come out small or otherwise illegible, please tell me and I'll fix it.

Most of my panics happen at startup (see ex. 2 and 3), though I've gotten a few using the computer (see ex. 1). Getting them while using the machine happens more in Yosemite and is rare in Mavericks.

Example 1
Panic Example 1.jpg

Example 2
Panic Example 2.jpg

Example 3
Panic Example 3.jpg

Freezes
Freezes are caused by conflicting kexts, huh? Good to know. How do I find the offending/conflicting kexts? Then how do I fix them?

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back