Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z370-P II
CPU
Intel Core i5-9600K
Graphics
Asus Radeon RX580 8GB OC
Hi Folks,

I've been busy trying to install OS X on my new build pretty much the whole of today:

Intel Core i5-9600K
ASUS Z370-P II
2x SAMSUNG EVO PLUS NVMe drives (was intended for a Windows+OS X dual boot config).
ASUS RADEON RX580 8GB OC
a Broadcom DW1820A in a PCI-E adapter

The very last guide I used was the one here on this site:

I can get past the installation settings screen (formatting one of the NVMe drives as the OS X boot drive in Disk Utilities). It hangs afterwards, sometimes it gets to displaying "15 Minutes Remaining", sometimes it just hangs without an indication of the ETA. Also, setting it to verbose takes no effect at this stage in the installation, so I might not be able to supply more information. I know that it is a kernel panic, because rebooting it displays something along the lines of "automatically rebooted after kernel panic" (and also because if I don't add the flag debug=0x100, it reboots).

I tried creating the install drive using UniBeast, Clover Boot Image creator + Clover Configurator, as well as by manually assembling the selection of kexts, patches, etcetera (also using Clover Configurator). It always ends with me looking at the kernel panic at this exact stage in the installation process. I am attaching my EFI folder as I suspect that this is the first thing you would ask for. This EFI folder is the one that was generated by UniBeast, so there's not going to be any surprises in it - I haven't touched this one with Clover Configurator, but would like to use it as the basis for future troubleshooting as this is the first "vanilla" EFI folder that I didn't need to tweak to actually get me all the way to the kernel panic bit, so it must be good.

The things I suspect may be potential culprits:
1. There isn't an XHCI Hand-Off setting in my BIOS. See this post:
2. There also doesn't appear to be a CFG-Lock setting.
3. Something fishy with the .kext or .efi files? Would be very odd, as I've tried assembling them manually and my config is actually supposed to be very OS X friendly - that's why I've chosen these components in the first place (my first Hackintosh build btw.)

I am running the installation through an HDMI cable connected to the graphics card. Have also tried a DVI cable, same results. Tried unhooking everything from the motherboard except for the graphics card, and the one relevant NVMe drive - again, same results.

I am on the verge of giving up at this point but I thought I'd ask first, I have already invested a day and bought compatible hardware after all.

Thanks for any help in advance, and let me know if you require any extra info! :)

Best,
Kris

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 161
The Evo Plus drives can be problematic.

Thanks scottkendall, that appears to be highly relevant to my issues. Will get back to you after I've updated my NVMe firmware.

Glad you got it sorted - Ah yes this was a hitch that proved very hard to track down until it was discovered it was the 'Plus drives'. I read the 'Plus' drives are/can be problematic and a New Firmware update is available to combat the problem but cannot confirm as I only have the Pro version.

Scottkendall, you managed to save a project that I've just about given up on. It didn't just finish the installation, it has done so in a blink of an eye. I guess this firmware fix will be useful for my Windows drive too, and it has certainly given back the original purpose of my PC configuration. I really wish I could claim back all those hours lost on troubleshooting the wrong things yesterday... :)

Just a note for anyone reading this in the future, even with the fix the install may hang for a bit around the 15-minute mark after the first reboot. Just be patient for a couple of minutes, it will continue steadily after a short interlude. Also, my Broadcom DW1280A prevented the system from booting after the installation, so I had to remove it - but I'm sure I'll find a solution to that too.

Lots and lots of thanks to @scottkendall for pointing out the firmware issues with SAMSUNG EVO Plus models!

UPDATE: Just to note that using the Broadcom WiFi guide got my WiFi and BT working (just needed to install the BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, and AirportBrcmFixup.kext kernel extensions, to create my custom SSDT for the USB layout on my build, and to install the kexts in my /Library/Extensions/ folder). For anyone dealing with the same issues in their build, I think that the custom USB SSDT creation is a 100% necessary to get everything working properly. It fixed sleep/wake on my build, added USB3 compatibility (which was completely missing if only using the stock SSDT that comes with USBInjectAll.kext).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back