Contribute
Register

Just ordered the parts for my rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimx86 said:
The IDE port's placement is pretty awkward, but then again I'm surprised today's motherboards still come with IDE ports.

I like the IDE port since I have a spare IDE DVD writer lying around (Apple-branded Pioneer DVR-112 from my Mac Pro). :)

jimx86 said:
Anyways, I like the "waiting for delivery" in your signature :cool:

Thx, I've been thinking about editing it again, since I've received everything in the meantime, except for the board and the CPU. But I don't have any characters left in my sig... :mrgreen:

In the attachment you can see what my Hack looks like ATM. Unfortunately, I had to turn the PSU around for the cables to reach their destinations. Now there's just one 120mm 1000rpm fan in the rear to pull air out. But I think this also means more air passing by my passively cooled 9600GT.

For a test, I pulled the PS-ON socket on the ATX-plug to GND so the fans were powered when I turned the PSU on. The fans are really nearly inaudible, no need to speed them down with the dial that's installed in the bottom PCI-bracket.

Attachments

• DSCF1235.jpeg
    DSCF1235.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 165
In the attachment you can see what my Hack looks like ATM. Unfortunately, I had to turn the PSU around for the cables to reach their destinations. Now there's just one 120mm 1000rpm fan in the rear to pull air out. But I think this also means more air passing by my passively cooled 9600GT.

Sorry, but is your PSU fan currently on top or on the bottom right now? if it's on the top, it might make a bit of difference by drawing air down through the GPU, but if it's on the bottom, it won't.

For a test, I pulled the PS-ON socket on the ATX-plug to GND so the fans were powered when I turned the PSU on. The fans are really nearly inaudible, no need to speed them down with the dial that's installed in the bottom PCI-bracket.

That's a really good case, it also looks really sleek, and the feet give it plenty of room for airflow at the bottom, too! :thumbup:
I think my case might have a problem with airflow of the PSU at the bottom. :(

flatfoot said:
And have a look at this rear panel of the UD3L: :eek:
460988-1.jpg
The L stands for Legacy as you see on the back plate serial and parallel ports and also the board dimensions is like an old P3 board.

jimx86 said:

Sorry, but is your PSU fan currently on top or on the bottom right now? if it's on the top, it might make a bit of difference by drawing air down through the GPU, but if it's on the bottom, it won't.

That's what I said. Originally, I planned it with the fan facing up so it pulls air out, but with the cables routed behind the rear plate of the case, they only just didn't reach their destinations; so I had to turn the PSU with the fan facing down (like in the picture), pulling fresh air from below the case.
The GPU's cooler is on its "back" (=> on top when installed), thus in the push stream of the Mugen's fan (ok, warm air) and the pull stream of the rear case fan.

sparkle-geforce-9600-gt-passive-cooler.jpg

EDIT 1: I love this case. Stumbled over it when looking for cases with 8 3.5" bays, read about its noise-dampening, watched the unboxing by Linus from NCIX Tech Tips on YouTube, and was totally lost. :) Also due to the price you get all this for.

EDIT 2: Thanks, MacMan, for this clarification!

EDIT 3: Put up another picture of the Sparkle 9600GT silent. The original one was somehow blocked.

That's what I said. Originally, I planned it with the fan facing up so it pulls air out, but with the cables routed behind the rear plate of the case, they only just didn't reach their destinations; so I had to turn the PSU with the fan facing down (like in the picture), pulling fresh air from below the case.
The GPU's cooler is on its "back" (=> on top when installed), thus in the push stream of the Mugen's fan (ok, warm air) and the pull stream of the rear case fan.

The PSU pulling fresh air from the bottom of the case is actually a better setup IMO, especially when you have that much room below the case for airflow. Just remember not to set your case on the carpet!
And I think the GPU cooler (the heatsink, right) will get enough airflow from those 2 fans.

EDIT 1: I love this case. Stumbled over it when looking for cases with 8 3.5" bays, read about its noise-dampening, watched the unboxing by Linus from NCIX Tech Tips on YouTube, and was totally lost. :) Also due to the price you get all this for.

Haha you watch Linus's Youtube video's too? I love the guy, although I don't have the patience to watch all his videos.

jimx86 said:
Just remember not to set your case on the carpet!

Me no stupid. :) Actually, we don't even have carpets in our apartment. ;)

jimx86 said:
Haha you watch Linus's Youtube video's too? I love the guy, although I don't have the patience to watch all his videos.

I've watched every single video of his, except for those about AMD overclocking and some cameras and so on. I'm more into intel-compatible PC hardware.

His cats are also really funny – and pretty, seriously; I'm more of a dog-guy and don't really like cats, but those are really pretty.

You have to watch this one; they really tease him: :)
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh0fU-AA00o[/VIDEO]

Haha wow that was funny! :lol:
I saw the cat tail early on and just thought it was carpet-decor until it moved :eek:
Those are feisty cats; have you seen a newer video on Linus's cat tree? It's pretty cool:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c414YG5NyA[/VIDEO]

Edit: How did you get that youtube link working? :confused:
Well, you have the URL.. sorry I can't get it embedded :|

It works!

Yeah, I know this one. :)

So... I received a shipment notification for my motherboard from Atelco and the guys I ordered the CPU from finally received my bank transfer yesterday.

Still waiting for a reply form e-bug concerning the refund for the wrong board they sent me.

Another question:
The n-draft WiFi USB stick I bought isn't BroadCom based like I thought but Ralink. I know Ralink works with their drivers but this stick was far more expensive than "usual" Ralink wireless products so I'll send it back.
I need a wireless solution that's USB or PCI (not PCIe like the perfect solutions with the Mac Pro wireless card and the adaptor) because I don't have a PCIe slot left on my mobo since the cooler of the graphics card blocks one of the 1x ports. :banghead:
I know how I can get Atheros based solutions to work, so...

Now the actual question: ;)
Are there any USB/PCI (not PCIe) solutions featuring a compatible BroadCom chipset?

Another question:
The n-draft WiFi USB stick I bought isn't BroadCom based like I thought but Ralink. I know Ralink works with their drivers but this stick was far more expensive than "usual" Ralink wireless products so I'll send it back.
I need a wireless solution that's USB or PCI (not PCIe like the perfect solutions with the Mac Pro wireless card and the adaptor) because I don't have a PCIe slot left on my mobo since the cooler of the graphics card blocks one of the 1x ports. :banghead:
I know how I can get Atheros based solutions to work, so...

Now the actual question: ;)
Are there any USB/PCI (not PCIe) solutions featuring a compatible BroadCom chipset?

Not really since Broadcom does more OEM stuff than actual products (that means they make their products for other companies to put in their computers for sale). But I did find this broadcom PCI card if that's what you're looking for:
http://www.shop1maxx.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=1464

I can't find availability on any credible sites, though. So that suggests that Broadcom doesn't plan on selling those products.

Thanks for your efforts but that's just a b/g card. :(

I think I'm going to go the Atheros PCI-card route. Those cards are really affordable and relatively easy to get to work, also in 64bit mode.

Update on my waiting-for-delivery:
My board and CPU are on their way and should be here by the day after tomorrow; the only thing missing is the WiFi card but that's ok since it's not essential to get the computer to boot.

Oh, and the MSI BToes Micro 2.1 EDR (bluetooth stick) I bought for the Hack works OOB on my Mac Pro. :) (So it should on the Hack, too.)
It's dirt-cheap and really tiny; sticks out only about 3mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back