CPU
i7-6700K OC @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So after lurking these forums for a few weeks and delving into the hackintosh realm, even giving advice to other people, I went ahead and ordered the parts for my rig last night:

• MoBo: GA-P55-UD3
  • CPU: i5-750 (to be overclocked)
  • RAM: G.Skill ECO DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-12800U CL7-8-7-24 (DDR3-1600)
  • Graphics: Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT, 512MB GDDR3, 2x DVI, TV-out (passive cooling)
  • PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, 600W, modular
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R2 (incl. additional front fan; so 2x 120mm front, 1x 120mm rear plus the power supply pulling out)

I have an IDE SuperDrive here, which I hope will work with iBoot's IDE support.
Mouse, BlueTooth, AirPort are pending because I don't need those for the initial setup. However, I already bought an Apple Wireless Keyboard via eBay for €39. :headbang:
I know the PSU is not the best I could get, but I'm on a tight budget and the reviews I read about this one were ok.

I chose this board over the GA-P55A series because I need 8 working SATA II ports for my HDDs and the UD3 is the cheapest GA-P55 series board ATM.

Unfortunately, I had to order from 5 different online stores since there wasn't one that had all the parts in stock. That gave me €722 in total (plus keyboard, mouse, BlueTooth, AirPort), so I'll end up around €800.
From one of the stores I received the dispatch notification at 9:15 p.m.! :eek: That's what I call costumer service. So if I'm lucky, I'll be sitting here in the afternoon with 4 gigs of RAM and a 120mm case fan in hand... :banghead:

I've been itching for the last few weeks to build this Hack but now I'm really going crazy... :crazy:

flatfoot said:
I chose this board over the GA-P55A series because I need 8 working SATA II ports for my HDDs and the UD3 is the cheapest GA-P55 series board ATM.
flatfoot,
Are you aware that the UD3 has no Firewire and the audio is ALC888, right ?

Is the UD3 cheaper than the P55M-UD4 ?

Edit: I've just re-read your post... If you need 8 internal SATA ports, the P55M-UD4 won't cut it (as it only has 7 internal + 1 eSATA)...

flatfoot said:
I've been itching for the last few weeks to build this Hack but now I'm really going crazy... :crazy:
Hehe... Yeah, I remember that... :)

Lnx2Mac said:

Yes, I am. But ATM I don't need FireWire (apart from the fact that the Hack is not (yet) going to be my primary system) and the ALC888 works with some kext-ing (actually, the 10.6.2 rollback, I think) and I don't need 7.1 audio; just stereo.

flatfoot said:
Lnx2Mac said:

Yes, I am. But ATM I don't need FireWire (apart from the fact that the Hack is not (yet) going to be my primary system) and the ALC888 works with some kext-ing (actually, the 10.6.2 rollback, I think) and I don't need 7.1 audio; just stereo.
:thumbup:

Good Luck with your build !
When done, don't forget to Show us your system ;)
Lnx2Mac

One more question about configuring everything:
I want to have SpeedStep working on my Hackintosh. Is the GA-P55-UD3 DSDT file ready for that?
I read somewhere that SpeedStep has to be enabled in the DSDT, too; or am I mistaken?

Mainly Speedstep will be BIOS activated, but if you're going to overclock, remember to set it from "automatic" to "enabled" because overclocking will make the motherboard think that you don't want your processor to run at lower clocks. I'm not sure about DSDT requirements, but I can say I haven't heard of any.

flatfoot said:
One more question about configuring everything:
I want to have SpeedStep working on my Hackintosh. Is the GA-P55-UD3 DSDT file ready for that?
I read somewhere that SpeedStep has to be enabled in the DSDT, too; or am I mistaken?

Yeah- no need for DSDT edits to enable speedstep on these Core i processors anymore- just use the iMac11,1 smbios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back