Contribute
Register

Just ordered mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonymacx86 said:
blueking said:
How's it working for you Tony? Found anything out?

It's working great- should have some time the next few days to monkey around with it some more.

:mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

How are you getting on Tony?? :beachball:

So I'm ready to buy a laptop I can use as a dual boot hackintosh and as a noob with all this, I'd much rather buy something other folks are pretty sure works.

There are all sorts of versions of the HP Probook 4350s. The link below shows about 5-6 different ones.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/camp ... kwCjCECjCE

If they sell it through Amazon or NewEgg I'll buy it there, but is the idea that any of these will work fine? So i3-2310 or i5-2403, both should be fine? HD3000 graphics on both, seems like identical machines, just different hard drive sizes and different processors.

So the other big question, will wireless end up working or will it require buying an easier to work with extra piece to get wireless working? Or is that yet to be discovered?

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I might watch from the sidelines for a bit, but glad to hear folks seem to have found a laptop that looks pretty good and that the master himself will be taking on the task of setting up an easy system for getting it working.

CPU doesn't matter, and wifi works if its an atheros 9285. Otherwise it needs replaced.

I'm new. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Regarding this HP laptop... what is the deal with the lines? Is this on the laptop lcd display? HDMI output?

I want to build this for use with graphic design. If it has lines on the LCD, I think it would make me crazy. Any solutions? I guess I'm looking for more info because I've never installed osx on a pc laptop.

Thanks for info., explanations, and help!

I'm new. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Regarding this HP laptop... what is the deal with the lines? Is this on the laptop lcd display? HDMI output?

I want to build this for use with graphic design. If it has lines on the LCD, I think it would make me crazy. Any solutions? I guess I'm looking for more info because I've never installed osx on a pc laptop.

The lines are intermittent and completely random. Sometimes they happen more frequently than others and they do show up on the lcd display. I haven't connected to an external monitor but someone said they even recorded into a dvd edit so I would assume they would appear on external hdmi connection as well.

I'm not sure but I believe the laptops that also have the dedicated graphics card are more prone to the lines- I previously owned one with i5 and only HD3000 and don't recall seeing lines on it. Now I have the i7 version that also has dedicated graphics (disabled) and see the lines every time I use it.

I find the lines annoying and use OSX on the laptop purely for entertainment. Hopefully someone will find a fix for the lines but I would hold off until then if it concerns you.

bigbair said:

The lines are intermittent and completely random. Sometimes they happen more frequently than others and they do show up on the lcd display. I haven't connected to an external monitor but someone said they even recorded into a dvd edit so I would assume they would appear on external hdmi connection as well.

I'm not sure but I believe the laptops that also have the dedicated graphics card are more prone to the lines- I previously owned one with i5 and only HD3000 and don't recall seeing lines on it. Now I have the i7 version that also has dedicated graphics (disabled) and see the lines every time I use it.

I find the lines annoying and use OSX on the laptop purely for entertainment. Hopefully someone will find a fix for the lines but I would hold off until then if it concerns you.

That would be me.
I think the trend is that hd3000 only models don't have graphics issues but the dual gpu ones do (even though it isn't active).

I had glitches on lcd which were echoed on my tv and I even made a wedding video using iMovie & iDvd and somewhere along the way it picked up the graphics glitches.

But I think it's worth noting that i've been using S/L for about a week now and have NOT seen 1 graphics glitch. (crosses fingers that I haven't just jinxed myself) :mrgreen: but on a negative note.... Hdmi output is not working at all and neither is bluetooth, though as they are working in lion then this may simply be a matter of editing the hdmi connectors correctly for S/L (beyond my knowledge) and editing the kext for Bluetooth.

I'm going to reinstall iLife and try again from scratch and hope for the best.

Dewitts said:
bigbair said:

That would be me.
I think the trend is that hd3000 only models don't have graphics issues but the dual gpu ones do (even though it isn't active).

I had glitches on lcd which were echoed on my tv and I even made a wedding video using iMovie & iDvd and somewhere along the way it picked up the graphics glitches.

But I think it's worth noting that i've been using S/L for about a week now and have NOT seen 1 graphics glitch. (crosses fingers that I haven't just jinxed myself) :mrgreen: but on a negative note.... Hdmi output is not working at all and neither is bluetooth, though as they are working in lion then this may simply be a matter of editing the hdmi connectors correctly for S/L (beyond my knowledge) and editing the kext for Bluetooth.

I'm going to reinstall iLife and try again from scratch and hope for the best.

I agree. Snow Leopard is the more stable route. I haven't tried the HDMI yet, but I can assure you that my bluetooth is working like it did in Lion. I used @BigDonkeys initial bluetooth fix before it got implemented in the install pack. Bluetooth will only work when the computer is booted from a cold shutdown in Mac or a restart from Windows. I also haven't had any random lines/graphics glitches and the random freezes I would have are at 0.

Also, In the Snow Leopard thread someone found a way to use AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA (which is the only kext that has given me about 10 boot kernel panics in Snow Leopard). If someone could go over to that thread and explain in simpler terms on how to implement it, then we should have some good OS X options.

Inmike09 said:
I agree. Snow Leopard is the more stable route.

According my experience Lion is perfect at my machine. No problems at all.
My 4530s has only HD3000 for graphic and I do not have these lines.
I saw them at my machine a few times when using Safari and web pages with a lot of flash banners. But I haven't see them for a couple months now.
I am using 10.7.1 because of the Black screen problem didn't update to 10.7.2 and the kexts from blueking from version 2. I have not update it because I do not need it to. Since is working ok why to mess with it?
For bluetooth I am using a usb dongle.

So I think we can not be sure what is better unless we try it.
For you is SL more stable but for me is Lion 10.7.1 more stable.

I'm glad to hear that Lion is working so well for you. I really wish it would have been the same for me, but I just had too many random freezes and graphics glitches.

Inmike09 said:
I'm glad to hear that Lion is working so well for you. I really wish it would have been the same for me, but I just had too many random freezes and graphics glitches.
It seems that only people that are facing the graphics glitches are those that have dual gpu in their laptops. Since i have been using the laptop since last 6 days, i haven't even noticed a single glitch and the cool thing is i have been using it may be 16 hours a day.....
Though i had three or 4times the kernel panic but at the booting so i assume this is not something to be worried of as they got resolved on subsequent booting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back