Register

Jays MonkeyBook Pro - The Ultimate Sony VPC-SE CustoMac Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
MonkeyBookProLogo.jpg Sony Vaio VPC-SE2
MonkeyBook Pro
Software Updates
May 2014

This week I finally got around to installing all of the recent software updates :-

• OSX 10.9.3 - Combo Update
  • Chimera 3.0.1 - Bootloader
  • FileNVRAM V1.1.3 - nvram & iMessage fix
  • Multibeast 6.2.2 - Latest versions of support Kext's

Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 14.30.09.png
I've been running with these updates for a few days now and I'm happy to report that my MonkeyBook is super stable and everything is working perfectly including iMessage and 'About this MAC'. If you used my guide in post #1 to install OSX on a Sony S series laptop (SA/SB/SC/SE) then the following update method should work for you too.

Before you start, make sure you have a working and up-to date Time Machine or CCC backup.

Download the following software updates :-

Method:

1. Run the Chimera 3.0.1 package installer and install to your OSX startup drive, do not reboot.
2. Delete any file(s) called nvram.xxxxx.plist in /Extra
3. Delete FileNVRAM.dynlib in /Extra/modules
4. Extract the newly downloaded FileNVRAM V1.1.3 archive and copy 'FileNVRAM.dynlib' to /Extra/modules
5. Install the OSX 10.9.3 Combo update using steps 2 to 9 of the procedure here.
6. Run Multibeast 6.2.2 and select the following items :-

• Trim Enabler
  • Universal USB 3
  • FakeSMC
  • FakeSMC Plugins
  • HWMonitor Application
Click on the build icon and then the install icon.​

7. Run OSX Software Update to install any OS fixes and the new versions of iTunes and Safari.
8. Once everything is updated and working run Disk Utility and repair permissions on your startup drive, finally reboot and you should be good to go.

Note: Chimera version 3.0 and later (also Chameleon r2318 and later) includes the 'SMmemmory' Key injection fix for Sony laptops so there is no need to replace the 'boot' file in the root of your startup volume in order to get 'About This MAC' working, however you must still have the all the necessary keys and strings in SMBIOS and org.chameleon.boot.plist. I've updated the 'fix About This MAC' section of the guide to reflect this change.

Cheers
Jay

MonkeyBook Pro - (Sony Vaio SE2C5E)

Dual Channel 5Ghz WiFi & BT 4.0 Upgrade

BCM94352 / Azurewave AW-CE123H
'The Quest for Air Speed'
[...]​
Cheers
Jay

Thank you a lot for the quick & easy guide. I have been searching around an easy way to install Wifi on a Gigabyte board wifi built in half mini pcie slot, and I successfully did it in 2 minutes today thanks to your guide.
Bluetooth is also working.

Cheers

Thank you a lot for the quick & easy guide. I have been searching around an easy way to install Wifi on a Gigabyte board wifi built in half mini pcie slot, and I successfully did it in 2 minutes today thanks to your guide.
Bluetooth is also working.

Cheers

@Barenhvrd

Thanks for the feedback ...... In addition to my MonkeyBook I use the Azureware CE123H card in Gigabyte H77N-WiFi and H87N-WiFi Monkey Mini-MAC builds, works really well compared to just about any other card or dongle solution (at least under OSX).

I am currently working on a new Monkey MAC project that's going to blow everyones minds .....
It also uses the Azureware CE123H radio card but is going to look like nothing else
Will write and publish a new guide once its finished and working ....

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step guide Jay, it made my first ever installation of a Hackintosh really easy :) I have a few questions:

1) I managed to get it installed on my VAIO SA3 but my max screen brightness is no way near as bright as my Windows install. I didn't apply any patches from RehabMan's repo (e.g. HD3000/HD4000 brightness fix) as I already have a functional screen brightness bar which is smooth, and turns completely off at the bottom. Would that patch increase the maximum brightness to what the screen can display?

2) I followed your guide except for one part: I installed OSX to my secondary HDD in my caddy (first reformatting it using GUID, then creating 2 partitions, and installing it to the second partition). I modified my Windows installation on my SSD with EditBCD to have an entry for my OSX installation. When I select it, Chameleon boots up (I think, it has an image of a smiling Chameleon or Gecko or something with an Apple icon and a bar below it that says "Press any key to start up from OSX, or press F8 to enter startup options"), however when I try booting in it doesn't load and just freezes there. OSX loads up fine when I use the USB installer, so what have I missed?

3) I'm guessing once I have it up and running, I can make more edits to the DSDT stored in "/Extra" without having to reinstall OSX with the modified DSDT?

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step guide Jay, it made my first ever installation of a Hackintosh really easy :) I have a few questions:

1) I managed to get it installed on my VAIO SA3 but my max screen brightness is no way near as bright as my Windows install. I didn't apply any patches from RehabMan's repo (e.g. HD3000/HD4000 brightness fix) as I already have a functional screen brightness bar which is smooth, and turns completely off at the bottom. Would that patch increase the maximum brightness to what the screen can display?

Yes. The patches are an important part of the brightness solution.

2) I followed your guide except for one part: I installed OSX to my secondary HDD in my caddy (first reformatting it using GUID, then creating 2 partitions, and installing it to the second partition). I modified my Windows installation on my SSD with EditBCD to have an entry for my OSX installation. When I select it, Chameleon boots up (I think, it has an image of a smiling Chameleon or Gecko or something with an Apple icon and a bar below it that says "Press any key to start up from OSX, or press F8 to enter startup options"), however when I try booting in it doesn't load and just freezes there. OSX loads up fine when I use the USB installer, so what have I missed?

Better to use Chameleon as your main bootloader/boot manager and boot everything through it.

3) I'm guessing once I have it up and running, I can make more edits to the DSDT stored in "/Extra" without having to reinstall OSX with the modified DSDT?

OS X knows nothing about your DSDT in /Extra. It is input to the bootloader only. It is just a file... you can change it however you want post install.

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step guide Jay, it made my first ever installation of a Hackintosh really easy :) I have a few questions .....

@Rajveer86

You most welcome and i'm glad that the guide worked for you.

Rehabman has answered your questions in the post above, the only thing I would add is that trying to use the windows boot-loader is a pain .... you'll have much better control by booting stright into Chimera or Chameleon ... etc.

There is no way to default the BIOS to a boot from a specific drive, so you are better off installing the OSX startup drive in the primary drive position and move the windows/data drive to the caddy.

Most users end up moving windows back on to a HDD in the caddy and run OSX of a SSD in the primary drive position, this way you don't have to alter anything on your windows drive. You can hide the hidden Windows recovery and diags partition from the boot menu, all of this is covered in Step 6 of the guide.

Cheers
Jay

Excellent thanks for the replies guys!

Yes. The patches are an important part of the brightness solution.

Thanks, the brightness patches solved those issues.

Better to use Chameleon as your main bootloader/boot manager and boot everything through it.

There is no way to default the BIOS to a boot from a specific drive, so you are better off installing the OSX startup drive in the primary drive position and move the windows/data drive to the caddy.

Windows is my lead development platform so I'd like to keep it on my SSD in the SATA III slot, OSX is just for a bit of iOS development here and there and not too important. Also I already have my Windows installation setup and don't want to go through the hassle of setting up everything again (and I can't just swap disks as the SSD is an mSATA). There must be a way to use the Windows boot manager to boot Chameleon - if I can get it to the Chameleon screen, then surely the issue is on the Chameleon side of things and the Windows boot manager is working fine?

I have a few other issues too:

1) Whenever I load up OSX (either from off or from sleep) the Bluetooth Setup Assistant pops up and says "There isn't a keyboard connected". Since I have an SA, I'm using CyberWalrus's files. When I rebooted after everything was initially setup after installation, my trackpad and keyboard weren't working until I replaced the voodoops2controller.kext, org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist and VoodooPS2Daemon files with the ones in that post, now they both work apart from this post popping up.

2) My brightness setting doesn't get saved between boots (but does when I sleep then wake up) - I set it to maximum brightness but it always goes to around 60-70% after booting.

Windows is my lead development platform so I'd like to keep it on my SSD in the SATA III slot, OSX is just for a bit of iOS development here and there and not too important. Also I already have my Windows installation setup and don't want to go through the hassle of setting up everything again (and I can't just swap disks as the SSD is an mSATA). There must be a way to use the Windows boot manager to boot Chameleon - if I can get it to the Chameleon screen, then surely the issue is on the Chameleon side of things and the Windows boot manager is working fine?

I assume your OS X boots just fine if you go direct to Chameleon... Thus problem with BCD setup.

1) Whenever I load up OSX (either from off or from sleep) the Bluetooth Setup Assistant pops up and says "There isn't a keyboard connected". Since I have an SA, I'm using CyberWalrus's files. When I rebooted after everything was initially setup after installation, my trackpad and keyboard weren't working until I replaced the voodoops2controller.kext, org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist and VoodooPS2Daemon files with the ones in that post, now they both work apart from this post popping up.

SysPrefs->Bluetooth->Advanced. Uncheck the boxes.

2) My brightness setting doesn't get saved between boots (but does when I sleep then wake up) - I set it to maximum brightness but it always goes to around 60-70% after booting.

You need working nvram. Do you have FileNVRAM.dylib installed?

I assume your OS X boots just fine if you go direct to Chameleon... Thus problem with BCD setup.

Good point, it works when booted straight from the USB. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong with BCD.

Scratch that, I'm not sure if I can go directly to Chameleon since I can't boot from my HDD first. How does the USB installer boot OSX, does it use Chameleon that's on the OSX startup disk or does it bypass it? (no idea about how OSX boot loaders work)

SysPrefs->Bluetooth->Advanced. Uncheck the boxes.

Hah, that was simple :)

You need working nvram. Do you have FileNVRAM.dylib installed?

Yep, I've got it in /Extra/modules, also that's the only module I have in there. Do I have to do anything else with it?

Good point, it works when booted straight from the USB. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong with BCD.

Scratch that, I'm not sure if I can go directly to Chameleon since I can't boot from my HDD first. How does the USB installer boot OSX, does it use Chameleon that's on the OSX startup disk or does it bypass it? (no idea about how OSX boot loaders work)

Booting from the USB is very different as you have a completely different configuration in /Extra on the USB than you do on your HDD.

If you've never installed the bootloader directly to the HDD (without going through the Windows bootloader) then there is no way to tell. My suggestion is to always deal with dual-boot after you have OS X all figured out...

Yep, I've got it in /Extra/modules, also that's the only module I have in there. Do I have to do anything else with it?

You also need either Chimera3 or a recent build of Chameleon. Chimera2 is broken as far as restoring brightness correctly. Also make sure it is the latest FileNVRAM.

And don't expect it to work if you're still booting from the USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back