Contribute
Register

I've updated to High Sierra but it doesn't boot anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I ran the script before I replaced apfs.efi with apfsDriverLoader-64.efi. I did so in the meantime but it still doesn't work.
Before the update to HS I used Multibeast 9.2.1 to update Clover. Now I need to use MB 10.4.0 for the update to see the HS drive as an option. However, when I try to install it fails.
Multibeast.log:
11/16/18 16:06:31 - Starting MultiBeast 10.4.0-20180812
11/16/18 16:06:48 - Installing 'Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode'
11/16/18 16:08:45 - Install of 'Clover_v2.4k_r4630-UEFI.pkg' failed.
'installer: Error trying to locate volume at /Volumes/Sierra

Attachments

• debug_13391.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
I think I ran the script before I replaced apfs.efi with apfsDriverLoader-64.efi. I did so in the meantime but it still doesn't work.
Before the update to HS I used Multibeast 9.2.1 to update Clover. Now I need to use MB 10.4.0 for the update to see the HS drive as an option. However, when I try to install it fails.
Multibeast.log:
11/16/18 16:06:31 - Starting MultiBeast 10.4.0-20180812
11/16/18 16:06:48 - Installing 'Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode'
11/16/18 16:08:45 - Install of 'Clover_v2.4k_r4630-UEFI.pkg' failed.
'installer: Error trying to locate volume at /Volumes/Sierra
The PR files are incomplete. Perhaps the best path is to
a) zip and attach the Clover folder (without the themes subfolder)
and we'll proceed from there.

So this is my clover folder minus themes.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
So this is my clover folder minus themes.
Replace the drivers64UEFI with the attached, and add config2.plist to your Clover folder. When booting go to Options and select config2. You should also now see the HS volume in the Clover menu

Attachments

• dd77clover.zip
    92.6 KB · Views: 36
I did those steps but I still have the same issue.
However, there's one difference: now, after an unsuccessful attempt to boot HS, I get a problem report of that attempt after booting my Sierra backup. I've pasted it into the attached text file.

Attachments

• errorreport.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 63
I did those steps but I still have the same issue.
However, there's one difference: now, after an unsuccessful attempt to boot HS, I get a problem report of that attempt after booting my Sierra backup. I've pasted it into the attached text file.
You're still booting from the Sierra not HS volume. Install Clover on the HS drive and boot from that one. In fact, remove all other drives until you have a stable system.
Your MB has Intel HD. Remove the Nvidia for now and boot from the Intel output. (In config.plist --> Graphics toggle Inject Intel)
Once you have a booting system, install the appropriate Nvidia web driver for your build, untoggle the Inject Nvidia, and toggle the NvidiaWeb in config.plist --> System Parameter.

Overall, try to change one thing at a time so you can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Just to make sure I understand. The volume called "Sierra" is the volume I updated to HS, so that is in fact my High Sierra volume. (I guess it doesn't get renamed by updating?) Then I have two partitions on another HDD that each contains a Sierra backup from before the update (PERM and TEMP, one of which I'm running now). I have no volume called High Sierra.
Attached screenshots of clover and the 3 install drive options I get when I try to install clover via MultiBeast.

Attachments

• IMG_7916.jpg
    IMG_7916.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 41
  • multibeast.jpg
    multibeast.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 30
Just to make sure I understand. The volume called "Sierra" is the volume I updated to HS, so that is in fact my High Sierra volume. (I guess it doesn't get renamed by updating?) Then I have two partitions on another HDD that each contains a Sierra backup from before the update (PERM and TEMP, one of which I'm running now). I have no volume called High Sierra.
Attached screenshots of clover and the 3 install drive options I get when I try to install clover via MultiBeast.

When you updated to HS did you select the flag to not convert to apfs (see option 9 in the HS installation guide)?
If you didn't, then something got messed up when you tried to upgrade to HS and I suggest the fastest way to get a good HS system is for you do a fresh install on that volume using a usb installer (select Intel graphics when creating the installer. Disconnect all the drives except Sierra and remove the Nvidia card.
After you have a working HS system using the Intel HD, install the correct Nvidia web driver for your build, edit config.plist to use the Nvidia web driver. Shut down and install the Nvidia card, and reboot.

As for the conversion: I followed the guide to convert to apfs. Using apfs.efi instead of apfsDriverLoader-64.efi, since that's what the guide said.

Anyway, I will follow your advice with the USB installer.
In the meantime (since I didn't see the last reply) I removed the NVidia card and my HDD with the Sierra backups und re-installed High Sierra via Recovery, inject Intel, etc..
Still the same problem, it hangs/restarts after "@kec.libm 1".

By the way: when I did the initial update, I didn't remove the backup disk or my Windows SSD. Maybe that was a mistake? Never updated my Hackintosh before.

When I do the USB installer thing now, do I format the disk and load the backup later? As in: do a completely clean install? My current backup is the CCC I made before updating and which I never used before (only TimeMachine), just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Obviously the backup worked fine and I'm running it now, I'm just not sure how well it works to get my system back on HS.

apfsDriverLoader-64.efi retrieves the current apfs.efi from the boot volume rather than a static version of apfs.efi in the efi partition (which is what we did in the early days of HS). The advantage is to capitalize on any changes Apple makes in OS updates. Without either apfs.efi or apfsDriverLoader-64.efi in your efi partition, Clover can't see the apfs formatted container which contains the OS (HS or Mojave). Using apfs.efi during the installation shouldn't have caused any problems.
Not sure what caused the kernel panic without seeing the rest of the backtrace. However, wouldn't bother with that now.
To do a fresh install with the usb installer, you boot from the usb. Disconnect all drives except your target drive where you'll install HS. The target drive cannot be formatted in apfs, so you need to reformat it to Mac OS Extended (journaled) (done in disk utilities during the installation).

After you have installed HS you can reconnect the other drives, and make the new HS your boot drive. Then you can start making changes for the Nvidia, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back