Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
So now I've updated to High Sierra but it doesn't boot anymore. It just restarts halfway through the process (halfway through Apple logo process bar screen). Did a video recording of verbose boot but even that happened so fast that I can't say what's wrong.
I booted from my Carbon Copy Cloner backup now. What can I do to fix the High Sierra install?

So now I've updated to High Sierra but it doesn't boot anymore. It just restarts halfway through the process (halfway through Apple logo process bar screen). Did a video recording of verbose boot but even that happened so fast that I can't say what's wrong.
I booted from my Carbon Copy Cloner backup now. What can I do to fix the High Sierra install?
Boot in verbose mode and post a screen shot when it hangs.

That's the thing, it doesn't hang, it reboots. And like I said, even a video doesn't show where it restarts exactly. Is there a way to get a log?

That's the thing, it doesn't hang, it reboots. And like I said, even a video doesn't show where it restarts exactly. Is there a way to get a log?
Please follow the rules and provide your computer info. The only thing you mention is that you have an Nvidia video card.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

I updated from Sierra following the instructions in this thread. Updated Clover to 4173 using Multibeast and copied apfs.efi. Didn't copy FakeSMC.kext since it was already in the folder.
By the way: I can boot High Sierra in safe mode.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

I updated from Sierra following the instructions in this thread. Updated Clover to 4173 using Multibeast and copied apfs.efi. Didn't copy FakeSMC.kext since it was already in the folder.
By the way: I can boot High Sierra in safe mode.
1. Please fill in your profile.
2. apfs.efi is not the preferred method. Use apfsdriverloader-64.efi
3. Generate problem reporting files - go to black.dragon74's thread to download script for generating files -- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

1. Ok, did fill it in
2. Should I just replace apfs.efi with apfsdriverloader-64.efi?
3. I ran the script on my backup Sierra, does this make sense? And do I post it here?

1. Ok, did fill it in
2. Should I just replace apfs.efi with apfsdriverloader-64.efi?
3. I ran the script on my backup Sierra, does this make sense? And do I post it here?
#2 Yes
#3 It will be less useful since it's from your operating backup Sierra, not the High Sierra. But, assuming you haven't made any other changes, post your problem reporting file.

I've attached the zip file generated by the script.
Meanwhile I also did a slo-motion video of the verbose boot and found that the last lines before restart are:

@kec.pthread 1
@kec.corecrypto 1.0
@kec.libm 1
Attempting system restart...

Attachments

• debug_30727.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
I've attached the zip file generated by the script.
Meanwhile I also did a slo-motion video of the verbose boot and found that the last lines before restart are:

@kec.pthread 1
@kec.corecrypto 1.0
@kec.libm 1
Attempting system restart...
You're booting from Clover in the efi on the Sierra volume which does not appear to have apfsdriverloader-64.efi. Therefore, you can't see any apfs drives. The PR files don't include the Clover folder from the boot efi.

1. Add apfsDriverLoader-64.efi to your boot drive. 2. Run Multibeast to install Clover on the HS drive. 3. Change the boot sequence to boot from the HS drive. 4. Rerun script to create PR files if problems remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back