Graphics
Asus GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have had some difficulty upgrading to Mavericks. I was on 10.8.4, running stable, and created a bootable USB drive for Mavericks. The first issue I encountered was that after booting from the USB drive, both of my monitors would not detect a signal and go to sleep. I was able to fix that with the following flags:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes Mode=1920x1080x32

I had to put those in to get a video signal from my GTX 560. Once I did that, the install process went smoothly. After about 45 minutes, my system rebooted. This is where I ran into bigger issues.

I can not get to the Mavericks desktop, even if I boot with -x. The system seems to always hang around USB stuff. The first several times I was getting timeout errors for AppleUSBehci still waiting for root device. Other times it hangs around (attempting) to load what looks to be my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. I see some kext errors for the Logitech Unifying software. I'll try to post a screenshot later tonight if it is still occurring.

I booted back to the USB Mav installer and restored a Time Machine backup from immediately before I tried to update. Only now that isn't bootable on its own and hangs at the same point (USB devices/Logitech) when attempting to use the boot loader on the Unibeast'd Mavericks USB drive. That is where I'm currently at...

My first question is: Should I have selected the Legacy USB support when setting up my Unibeast stick? The description said it was for LGA 1156 boards, but the Asus P8P67 is LGA 1155. I'm having USB issues though, so my next attack will be to try reinstalling Mavs with a USB drive with Legacy USB enabled. I don't think I ever had to do that with SL, Lion, or ML though. USB wireless mouse and keyboard work fine in the installer without Legacy USB option, for whatever that is worth.

If that doesn't apply to the P8P67, what should my next step be? Removing the wireless receiver for my Logitech kb/mouse before booting? Trying to boot back into my ML backup and removing the Logitech software? Anybody else with this board done a successful upgrade yet?

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Update!

-After restoring back to my ML setup via Time Machine, I used a Unibeast stick with the Legacy USB option enabled. No change. System would hang around USB/Logitech stuff during boot.

-Formatted Macintosh HD partition and tried a clean install using my original USB Mav stick (non-Legacy USB). Install completed and I was able to boot to the Mav desktop. Still needed the GraphicsEnabler=Yes Mode=1920x1080x32 flags to get video to my monitor.

-Next I tried running Migration Assistant during the Mav setup to copy over data from my old install via Time Machine. This took quite a while, but after it finished the computer rebooted. Upon starting back up and using the Unibeast stick to boot to Macintosh HD, the system would hang again at the same spot as before (USB/Logitech).

-Reformatted MacHD again and did another clean Mav install. This time I skipped Migration Assistant. Made it to the desktop fine and ran Multibeast. Ethernet was already working, which surprised me. Rebooted after Multibeast was done and was able to boot directly from my Mav hdd. Yay!

Post Multibeast: Most things seemed to work. I noticed the built in Bluetooth on the P8P67 mobo was not detected. That did work (most of the time) in Lion and Mountain Lion, I think out of the box. I will have to investigate to see if there is a way I can still enable it. I also still need to test USB3 to see if those ports are working.

App Store works. Face Time seems to work (it loaded, but I didn't initiate a call). iMessage will not log in. Need to trouble shoot that.

I left the machine on overnight and when I tried to wake it up this morning, it had a black screen that would not go away but could still move the mouse cursor around. Could the FERMI FREEZE be back? Need to check the console and see if there are any Nvidia timeouts. Will try running freezefix at startup to see if it resolves the problem. Could also try the Nvidia drivers.

WHAT I SUSPECT WAS CAUSING MY BOOT HANGS: I now think that the Logitech Control Center software and/or Logitech Unifying software that my wireless mouse and keyboard were using could have been causing the boot hangs. I went looking for the Control Center software to reinstall it once Mavericks was up and running and saw some posts from people with the Developer Preview of Mavs that were complaining that the Logitech software refused to install on 10.9. Something about it not being compatible? Logitech posted a new version v3.8 of it on 10/23 that is compatible with 10.9. I installed that one and was still able to boot. If I'm feeling really adventurous this weekend I may restore my ML backup, try to get that booting, remove the Logitech software, and then attempt a Mavericks upgrade.

Hi I am in the process of upgrading.
I had the legacy usb support on on BIOS
and yes I used Legacy USB support in unibeast.

The only thing I did on the multibeast was change and used the iMac 12.1 profile after upgrading and
got onto desktop and everything seems fine.

I will write more details once I will end up with my configuration.

I've noticed that my bluetooth sometimes is actually detected. Even when it is though, I can never disable it. That was the same behavior I saw under Lion and Mountain Lion though.

I was still having problems with the machine semi freezing, but with a moveable mouse cursor. I thought it could be the Fermi freeze coming back, but then I started to suspect perhaps it was an issue with power management. I shut off sleep and it still happened. Then turned off sleep hard drives and still had it happen. Finally also turned off the screen saver and haven't run into it since then.

Last night I started experiencing some weird networking issue. I don't know what it is yet, but something happens with my hackintosh that kills PPPoE authentication on my router, which takes down Internet access to all machines connected to it (wi-fi and ethernet). Issue goes away as soon as I unplug the hack from the router. Really weird. I'm going to try setting a static IP on the hack to see if that resolves things.

Haven't attempted to fix iMessage yet. That will be next on the list after the network problem.

Just wondering if you might be able to help me out. I've managed to get mavericks to install on my P8P67 2500K combo but whenever I try and run multibeast so I can boot off the HD I get a kernel panic as soon as it tries to boot. Before I run multibeast everything seems to be working including sleep etc although I can't login to the app store. Can I ask what multibeast settings you use for the P8P67?

@Drash find attached my multibeast file. I also include in this post my procedure of installing mavericks on my hackintosh:

- download mavericks from appstore

- got unibeast UniBeast-3.0.0.zip (unibeast.3.howto.pdf) and created a usb memory stick (USED THE LEGACY USB SUPPORT)
(http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html)

- need the right modded BIOS in order to be as mac friendly as possible.
Go here http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html
and then http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/
and get http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/p67-2/
(The BIOS version I use is the 2303. the 3xxx has some problem with audio)
flash again the BIOS 8P67-ASUS-2303_modified.zip (put in in the root of a flash drive and flash it!!!)

BIOS settings
- IMPORTANT IN THE EASY SCREEN USE OPTIMIZE SETTINGS, OR ELSE PERFORMANCE WILL BE SLOW
- To avoid random reboots
AI Tweaker > Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP (Profile 1)
- To acoid random freezes when trancoding with handbreak
Ai Tweaker > Internal PLL Overvoltage > Disabled
Others
Advanced > CPU configuration > Intel Virtualization Technology > Enabled
Advanced > CPU configuration > CPU C1E > Enabled
Advanced > CPU configuration > CPU C3 Report > Enabled
Advanced > CPU configuration > CPU C6 Repoer > Enabled
Advanced > USB configuration > Legacy USB support > Enabled
Advanced > USB configuration > Legacy USB 3.0 support > Disabled
Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration > Bluetooth > Disabled

- create your own dsdt:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.gr/2009/11/create-and-modify-your-dsdtaml.html

- boot from the usb stick and install Mavericks as in unibeast.3.howto.pdf
boot into mavericks partition using the usb stick and run multi beast
(configuration was saved in 10.9.0 config.mb

Quick Start > UserDSDT - DSDT_with_oralia_P8P67_patch_20131025.aml
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC892
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > HDAEnabler
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal by Zenith432
Drivers > Network > Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
Customize > SSDT Options > Sandy Bridge Core i5
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 10.9.0 multibeast config.mb
    5.5 KB · Views: 350
Thanks guys. Im up and running! Not fully optimised yet because I need to figure out how to get OSX to work with the 4.5ghz overclock I previously had set up, but it's a start!

Hello sakoula (and everyone),
First Thank you for your many helpful posts. Since we have similar setups, I was hoping that you would be kind enough to answer a few questions.

I still run the original BIOS on my P8P67 and had everything working (except sleep). What is the benifit to running the modded BIOS?

I used the same DSDT file that I was using with 10.8.5, although I can't remember where I got it. Is it possible my issue is the DSDT even though it works fine in 10.8.5?

Do you have any ideas on why the on board Firewire port was working on 10.8.5 and it isn't recognized in 10.9.1? Everything else seems ok, except the firewire and Mail is acting really odd. Although, I think the problem with Mail may be file corruption.

Thank you for help!
-Lance

iamm3,

- what bios version do you currently have?
- what multibeast options?
- firewire: may be an issue with the DSDT
- Mail not working: seems irrelevant (possibly file corruption as you propose)

there are actually two ways of running your hackintosh:
1. enable SpeedStepping (which does not run the proc at full speed all the time).
I run mine this way.

2. without SpeedStepping (by using the NullPowerManagement module)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back