Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD3- F11
CPU
i5
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Good Evening! I have been running High Sierra for quite a while with no problems. I built my Hackintosh starting with Snow Leopard and have been able to upgrade ever since. I decided to upgrade my backup drive to Mojave a few weeks ago. Ever since then I have not been able to boot up into clover. I did not make any changed to my boot drive which is a SSD. (OSX Journaled using GUID) I tried disconnecting all drives except for my system hard drive and I have also tried booting from a USB thumb drive. I also flashed my Bios again to the most up to date version. (F11 - This was also the version that was there when the system was running before this happened) I have checked my bios settings to make sure they are correct, but I am stumped. I am ok staying with High Sierra and sticking with the status quo, but at this stage I just need help. Thank you in advance!

Even by my standards, "I have not been able to boot up into clover" isn't very specific. What *does* happen?
How far does it progress? Can you supply screenshots?

Basically, I get to this screen and I am stuck here. When the system was working the underscore would start spinning and then clover would load. The underscore just blinks now and nothing happens.

View attachment 412907
Basically, I get to this screen and I am stuck here. When the system was working the underscore would start spinning and then clover would load. The underscore just blinks now and nothing happens.

I'm guessing because you have upgraded all the way from Snow Leopard, you don't have a UniBeast installer drive to hand?

Clearly, looking at this screen grab the main boot partition has become corrupt somewhere. This can happen when an installer gets confused and puts files in the wrong place or overwrites some setting on a closely attached drive.

If you could boot using the UniBeast installer that would get you past this ...

I actually have used Unibeast for a while...At some point I had to do a fresh install when I switched to the Clover boot (I can't remember which OS) When I try to boot using my Unibeast thumb drive I get the same result when I try to boot into clover. I have double checked my bios settings at least 5 times, so i think those are correct. I also am able to boot into my Windows 7 drive... (I have disconnected that and my other drives-including the backup drive that I tried to install mojave on to see if they were the problem too...) I have an iMac too...Can I also try to reinstall Cover on my EFI partition and add the kexts? Thank you.

I actually had a backup of my clover drive that I put on the EFI partition. I still get the same results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I actually had a backup of my clover drive that I put on the EFI partition. I still get the same results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not quite sure I understood "clover drive" BUT it has just occurred to me ... Mojave no longer has the option of installing to HFS+ format drives, they are converted to APFS.

Also I guess you are using Clover Legacy mode? I may be wrong but I don't think your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS. F11 is nearly 9-years old now.

Were you saying then that you had a backup of your High Sierra install but that it no longer boots up? This could be because of the new APFS disk scheme. If you still have the HS backup on a different drive, which software did you use to do the back up and can it restore again if necessary?

I am still using Clover Legacy mode...I thought APFS may have been the issue...When I upgraded to Mojave I did it on my backup drive (It was a regular Hard Drive) My original is an SSD running High Sierra. (It was not formatted in APFS format yet) I confirmed this by connecting it to my imac. It is formatted GUID -Mac OS Extended (Journaled). My Thumb Drive is also formatted in this manner...Do you think that starting over from an earlier Mac OS may be the best bet? I am eventually going to upgrade hardware, but just needed 6-12 months more.

Thank you again!

I was able to figure this out. I went ahead cloned all disks and reformatted them to APFS. Then I was able to figure out how to apply the patches and viola. I also did a completely fresh install rather than upgrading. I have had a few tweaks, but my machine is running more stable than it did with High Sierra.

Not quite sure I understood "clover drive" BUT it has just occurred to me ... Mojave no longer has the option of installing to HFS+ format drives, they are converted to APFS.

Also I guess you are using Clover Legacy mode? I may be wrong but I don't think your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS. F11 is nearly 9-years old now.

Were you saying then that you had a backup of your High Sierra install but that it no longer boots up? This could be because of the new APFS disk scheme. If you still have the HS backup on a different drive, which software did you use to do the back up and can it restore again if necessary?
I don't believe the problem is purely HFS+ related. One of my legacy drives, formatted with HFS+ is running 10.14.6 without any problems whatsoever. Running HFS+ safeguards the drive from being accidentally updated/upgraded. To keep that HFS+ plus drive updated I just CCC the latest released macOS from an APFS backup to the HFS+ drive and that is it. My drive for daily use is however a SSD formatted to APFS.

OH I just noticed the problem has been solved by @tnsplyr, I guess my comments are however still valid.

Greetings

Henties

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back