3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. Xserve
Setting up a XPS 8900, sort of have it working - will post detailed guide on that soon...

If you boot into Windows 10, this noise does not happen.

If you boot the OS X UniBeast USB, it starts making the noise.
If you then boot into my seems to be working Install on the hard drive of OS X, it makes the noise.
Boot back into Windows on spinney platter HD, no more noise...

The processor, I've narrowed it down, makes chirping/calculating noises.

I have eliminated the M.2 SSD (Dell OEM LiteOn) by removing it (some mention some of these SSD make noises, not this one), swapped the power supply from OEM Dell to EVGA Bronze 500W, not the power supply.

It's not the CPU fan as I've disconnected it for a few seconds until it spins and stops, it is most definitely the processor.

It's not the video card either, removed that from the equation too and swapped with a cheaper no fan ATI.

This only occurs if booted into macOS...

Anything I should be concerned about? For anyone out there with an i7-6700K - have you listened to your processor lately?

It mostly happens when booting, it did sing louder/consistently when I played trailer on Youtube, it always chirps when the progress bar is moving under the Apple logo from either SSD, USB or spinney platter HD booting. I did an install on a spinney platter just to confirm. Yet, it is silent when booting Windows, and playing a Youtube trailer in Windows - no chirping.

Anyone have an explanation?

I have run MultiBeast and that seems to work fine. I wanted to create a CPU Power Management SSDT; I followed tonymacx86's quick guide, i.e., Piker Alpha, and all it does it tell me error unsupported CPU nothing more.

I'll try to take a video of the chirping...

Thanks - curious if others out there with the 6700k also have chirping issues...

Ok, so after doing some searching, this noise appears to be coil whine which most seem to indicate is not an issue other than the noise. I am still curious that it only occurs coming from the motherboard CPU area and only in OSX.
So it seems hackintoshing is changing how c-states operate(a guess as this point, but I found a couple posts with 6700k chirping that indicated it's c-states and typically it seems to come with freezing which I haven't experienced yet...Would be interested in an answer as to why it's only occurring in OSX.

I will try to turn off c-states in BIOS to see if that resolves the noise.
{UPDATE} no change disabling c-states.
{UPDATE} no change also disabling intel speedstep in BIOS either.

Noise is there, but 1/2 as much switching out video card to much lesser ATI card, but still comes right from CPU area.

I've never noticed this in 20 years of working on computers, funny how I've only discovered this now.
I'll test the XPS 8500 i7 3770 out of curiosity in OSX and listen closely and see if it too does this, or if it's just the 6700K.

I've heard similar noises in failed power supplies, iMacs with bad caps, older dells with burst caps, but not on a working PC...
Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Really interesting problem (aside from any worry of failure etc)

Trying to give this a fresh approach ...

Logically the noise has to be created by something vibrating and I don't know what that could be inside the chip. The silicon is buried deep under a heatsink, under a heavy lump of copper, under highish tension. What is loose enough to vibrate and move air (make a noise) ?

I would then wonder about the Intel chipset. I don't know which variation the Dell uses - H170, Z170, B150 ?? That silicon is usually under an aluminium heatsink which is often large and relatively loose, so could actually vibrate.

Having said that, the WHY is a whole different question.

Your mention of a VRM coil is also a likely candidate.

Sorry not to know the answer but very intrigued by what you discover.

:)

Quick not in depth search seems to indicate Z170 chipset for the XPS 8900. My curiosity is why only in OSX does it do this but not in Windows 10.
Before I tear down my XPS 8500 to resell with the i7 3770(and it sells with windows 10 only) I will check to see if it's making any noise. I didn't notice it but I admit I didn't have the case off much, just happened to leave 8900 side panel off during many reboots figuring out issues, older gen but curious...searching for Z170 coil whine comes up with some reports of similar noise.
So who here at tonymac has a Z170 chipset board and has this noise?

I am concerned about the longevity of the CPU/Motherboard since it is doing this...
Is this something I need to resolve with multibeast and having a correct SSDT for the 6700K?
I tried to create one but it didn't work...
Is it something OSX is doing or not doing that is causing it since it only happens in OSX?

{UPDATE} In ammulder's guide he has the SSDT for power management created for 6700K, put that in EFI in correct folder - same noise, so guess that's not going to stop the chirping...

Last edited:
Ok, what I tried was change definition to iMac 17,1 and Mac Pro 6,1,(on fresh clean install both times) no change.
Also created El Capitan installer, same thing, as soon as progress bar shows up same noise. Was really hoping it was a Sierra only thing and I could just use El Capitan. No such luck :(

Anyone else with a 6700K have these noises? Is it even limited to 6700ks or Z170 chipset motherboards?

Ok, what I tried was change definition to iMac 17,1 and Mac Pro 6,1,(on fresh clean install both times) no change.
Also created El Capitan installer, same thing, as soon as progress bar shows up same noise. Was really hoping it was a Sierra only thing and I could just use El Capitan. No such luck :(

Anyone else with a 6700K have these noises? Is it even limited to 6700ks or Z170 chipset motherboards?

Use iMac 17,1. What noise are you getting? Coil Whining?

I used Z170 with an i7-6700K for a year and never had any coil whine or noise from my system.

Yes, dead center around the CPU, pretty noisy, will chirp as soon as progress bar under apple logo shows up, and then chirp chirp chirp from there on, worse with youtube video. Silent though when booted to Windows 10, or linux; only noisy in OSX.
17,1 gives me black screen, 14,2 seems to work much better, either has coil whine. El Capitan has coil whine too.
Eliminated all other possibilities - motherboard/CPU - again, only in OSX.

I used Z170 with an i7-6700K for a year and never had any coil whine or noise from my system.

Ive had Coil winning on some machines here. But always turned out to be a Power Supply issue or Ethernet.

Yes, dead center around the CPU, pretty noisy. Silent though when booted to Windows 10, or linux; only noisy in OSX.
17,1 gives me black screen, 14,2 seems to work much better, either has coil whine. El Capitan has coil whine too.
Eliminated all other possibilities - motherboard/CPU - again, only in OSX.

Do you still have Coil Whining when unplugging Ethernet cable & Speakers? Attach ioreg [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back