Contribute
Register

Is upgrading to an high-end ATI card from the iGPU be worth it in my case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MPG z490
CPU
Cometlake 10700K
Graphics
Intel
Hello,

I am up and running with OSX86 and have a quick question. My motherboard is a MSI MPG z490 (Cometlake CPU), and I am using the iGPU on that board. I use OSX86 for watching video, web coding, email, and word processing. Would I notice any difference in fidelity by purchasing a low-end (or high-end) ATI graphics card? Thanks to all willing to share their insight on this one.

Mike

Hi P1LGRIM,

Thank you for the reply and the spec sheet. I haven't used OSX86 in years and things have gotten more sophisticated. I appreciate the correction.

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks again.

Hi there.

Given the use-cases you mention then I would doubt you will benefit spending your hard-earned on a high-end GPU which, these days, is bound to be offered at a grossly over-inflated price.

Having said that, is your video viewing fast-action 8k ? If so then a better GPU would help, obviously.

You mention "fidelity" which implies video and image quality and accuracy. Well there are high-end 2D cards and high-end 3D cards. Horses for courses. The iGPU in a Comet Lake CPU is pretty efficient and gives great output.

However you might benefit from a discrete GPU instead of the iGPU because your CPU will be kept cooler not having to activate it's video circuitry. You don't necessarily need an expensive one.

:)

Given the use-cases you mention then I would doubt you will benefit spending your hard-earned on a high-end GPU which, these days, is bound to be offered at a grossly over-inflated price.
Today you'd be paying about ten dollars or more per extra FPS with a graphics card. Best to wait till bitcoin, ethereum bottom out again and nobody wants to mine.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to tuck away my pennies until I'm able to get a decent 2D card. Until then Cometlake will have to do. Thanks again and you guys have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back