Contribute
Register

Is this even possible? (Dual boot, many issues..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z77E ITX
CPU
i5 3450
Graphics
GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hiya everybody, I got some issues here...

I've been searching loads of things about hackintosh and stuff everywhere but I couldn't find the answer for this..
My case seems to be so odd!

What I want to do is install Mountain Lion in the same drive as Windows 7 is installed (in a different partition obviously) and have dual boot with both.
I don't want to reinstall Windows or format anything in the drive (I already got a partition separated for Mountain Lion that can be formatted of whatever needed).
My drive is MBR and I'm using it in RAID with an SSD using the "Intel Smart Response Technology" (only for Windows, I suppose), and my MOBO has UEFI.
Another thing is that I don't have a Mac to use and prepare the USB drive (I'd prefer to install it from a USB drive).
(If REALLY necessary I can get to use my friend's Mac as a last resort..)

From what I've read my system should be compatible:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
MOBO: Asrock Z77E-ITX
VGA: MSI GTX 660Ti
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance
HDD: 1.5TB Seagate (the main one) and 64GB Crucial M4 SSD (cache)

I need to have Mountain Lion just so I can use Logic Pro.. (I'm doing Music Uni)
And I can't live without Windows (Games and stuff)...

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?
If not, how can I make it work?
Any thoughts?

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the reply,

What is Chimera boot? Is it the thing that boots OSs?

Is there any chance of getting SSD acceleration working at least on the windows' partition? (it requires RAID SATA mode)

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply,

What is Chimera boot? Is it the thing that boots OSs?

Is there any chance of getting SSD acceleration working at least on the windows' partition? (it requires RAID SATA mode)

Thanks again

You can't use SSD acceleration if you are going to dual boot with OS X.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html

will give you procedure to dual boot on separate drives and install on same drive - just scroll down past Ubuntu install to Lion+Win7 (ML works same as Lion). I show you how, but I do not recommend it. Better to have a separate drive for each OS.

Since I'm returning my SSD cause it doesn't fit my system and because it is cause me random BSODs I'm gonna have only one HDD in my system.
I do have another one which I'm using as external drive cause my case just fits one 3.5" drive. I can try and mod it though, making it fit inside.

What's the problem in having both OSs in the same drive?
I don't need to format anything other than the OSX partition to install it, do I?

Is there a way of installing Mountain Lion (I mean everything, creating the USB key, etc...) without having a Mac at all?

Thanks

I did it by using a Virtual Machine running on Windows. :)

Sorry I took so long to reply...

Thanks everyone for helping me! But it's still not over yet (it's much closer now)

As I said, I gave up of the SSD acceleration and I made the Unibeast USB drive through a virtual machine.

I decided to use 2 disks now, making everything much easier, specially cause one of them was empty.

I installed Mountain Lion fine, but when I run Multibeast and reboot the computer it gets stuck on a white/grayish screen after the apple logo...
I don't have a clue what's going wrong.. I tried it twice (reinstalled ML and run MB again) and it gets to the same screen...

I followed this post for my mobo, with and without DSDT including the installation of some kexts:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/73451-asrock-z77e-itx-core-i7-3770k-evga-gtx-570hd-16.html

Also, I tried with and without opencl enabler... Nothing worked..

What can it be? Why exactly do I need Multibeast? I was just installing 3 things from it's list: Audio drivers, the Mobo plugins and the HWmonitor plugins...

Is there any workaround just so I can get audio working without MB?

Also, is there any way I can kind of boot in a safe mode so I can try to disable stuff MB installed that are preventing the computer to boot?
I tried using -x and it didn't work...

Thank you very much again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back