Contribute
Register

Is this build possible for studio engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys i currently have thought about upgrading from a macbook pro laptop to a desktop/hackintosh.

I have an older PC build that is running an AMD 8350 FX cpu which i know is not the best but it should be fine for my use especially with the amount of cores. Now, my main concern is that i knew i would have to buy a new motherboard, reason being is because i run a audio interface that requires Thunderbolt connection... are they any motherboards out there that have this? I dont mind about the price to much and i am trying to use older parts to build this as GPU does not matter since i have a seperate gaming PC and this would be just for work.

Second concern, if i use time machine to back up all my plugins presets and everything to an external can i plug in the external hard drive to the new hackintosh and drop everything on? Or will i have to go install all VSTs and plugins again.

The main build would look like this:

AMD 8350FX
Corsair H100 cooler
Mobo with thunderbolt ? ?
16 or 32 GB memory
GPU i dont mind either which one i may have basic one lying around
SSD boot drive
2-3 1 TB HDD for storage
600-800 W PSU

I thank you guys in advance for help with this as it is confusing and the only other option i have at this point is to buy an equipped thunderbolt Mac Pro brand new :banghead: Which i do not want to do if i dont have to!

Thanks! :thumbup:

The main build would look like this:

AMD 8350FX
Corsair H100 cooler
Mobo with thunderbolt ? ?
16 or 32 GB memory
GPU i dont mind either which one i may have basic one lying around
SSD boot drive
2-3 1 TB HDD for storage
600-800 W PSU

I thank you guys in advance for help with this as it is confusing and the only other option i have at this point is to buy an equipped thunderbolt Mac Pro brand new :banghead: Which i do not want to do if i dont have to!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Rules said:
AMD nor Atom CPUs and NVIDIA, ATI, VIA or SIS desktop chipsets are not supported by the methods and software on this site and will not work. Any post requesting help for or asking about these will be deleted

Apple do not use AMD processors so there is no support for them in OS X.

Now, my main concern is that i knew i would have to buy a new motherboard, reason being is because i run an audio interface that requires Thunderbolt connection... are they any motherboards out there that have this?

You should look at this thread which uses an Asus Z97 motherboard and can utilize a Thunderbolt
add in card. The motherboards are still available unlike most of the Gigabyte Z97 boards.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ild-z97-i3-4340-hd4600-thunderbolt-ex-ii.html

An Intel I5-4690 or 4690K would be better than an I3 with this build.

Here's the link to the Asus Z97-A on Amazon.com the one in the user build goes to an older model.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Motherboards-Z97-A-USB-3-1/dp/B00TXBP1NS

My issue is i am not quite sure if my interface will require a thunderbolt on the motherboard itself vs PCI E i would just hate to buy it and not be able to run the interface as it is one of my most expensive parts of my studio setup.

From what i have read it looks like i may have to be going intel either way, bums me out since i just spent a good amount of money on a 4790k liquid cooled build for gaming but decided to get a hackintosh going since production on a laptop is no bueno. And, only having 2 USB ports is depressing and some of my gear requires direct connection to USB and does not or will not work with hubs.

Anyone have any decent builds around 1000-1200 that would be better then my macbook pro? Do not need peripherals just the build itself. One that will not stutter and be a smooth rig? Prefer a Matx vs full size but anyone works, and a quiet rig would be nice but i wont complain to much.

Thanks for the help man!

only reason why i asked is i have seen threads of people using a AMD 8350fx for yosemite but im not sure how difficult it is!

But thank you for the input, i think i have came to terms that i will be having to buy a whole new rig atm!

From what i have read it looks like i may have to be going intel either way, bums me out since i just spent a good amount of money on a 4790k liquid cooled build for gaming but decided to get a hackintosh going since production on a laptop is no bueno.

We don't offer any support here for AMD hackintosh builds so yes, it would have to be Intel based.

What motherboard does your 4790K gaming build use ?

it happens to use the Asus maximum 7 impact i think is what its called micro board.

it happens to use the Asus maximum 7 impact i think is what its called micro board.

If you had the Maximus 7 Formula version you could test out the TB EX II on that system.
The 7 Impact doesn't support TB EX II. Why don't you ask some of those in the Music
forum what TB options are working best for them ? http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

Yea i found only one motherboard Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H-TH which is micro, now i know that people said some issues with audio? But if i am not using the onboard audio and having my own Audio Interface plugged into the thunderbolt should i have any issues?

Would love to have a small build since i use mainly external hard drives anyways

Yea i found only one motherboard Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H-TH which is micro, now i know that people said some issues with audio? But if i am not using the onboard audio and having my own Audio Interface plugged into the thunderbolt should i have any issues?

Would love to have a small build since i use mainly external hard drives anyways

The main problem with that choice is where to actually buy one at a reasonable price.
I've seen them for sale used at $1000 + prices. Might as well go with a new Skylake
build if you'd have to pay that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back