Contribute
Register

Is there a workaround for Apple pulling FireWire support?

That does not explain why Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers.

Of course Apple controls macOS. Just like how Microsoft controls Windows.

If Microsoft told Nvidia they are not allowed to release drivers for Windows, would Nvidia just say okay and walk away or sue Microsoft for everything they're worth for anti-competitive behavior?

I'm not expert on this subject, but it does make you wonder it this is the complete story...

For example, we as Hackintoshers use all kinds of signed - but certainly not approved by Apple - kexts and drivers. They work. So can anyone explain to me why, if NVidia wanted to write drivers for a later macOS they could not work?

I understand that the native drivers that macOS comes with include both NVidia and AMD.

I'm not expert on this subject, but it does make you wonder it this is the complete story...

For example, we as Hackintoshers use all kinds of signed - but certainly not approved by Apple - kexts and drivers. They work. So can anyone explain to me why, if NVidia wanted to write drivers for a later macOS they could not work?

I understand that the native drivers that macOS comes with include both NVidia and AMD.

It costs $99 to become an Apple Developer. Then you can sign your drivers.

It costs $99 to become an Apple Developer. Then you can sign your drivers.

Yup, that's my point. So why can't NVidia just keep producing web-drivers if they want? I'm baffled. If I invent a new whizzo dongle and produce signed drivers for it, Apple wouldn't block it, would they? So why would they block NVidia?

Yup, that's my point. So why can't NVidia just keep producing web-drivers if they want?

png-transparent-man-avatar-shrug-emoji-emoticon-iphone-emoji-hand-bunny-sticker-thumbnail.png

Only Nvidia knows and they're not telling...

That does not explain why Nvidia stopped releasing web drivers.
Apple Stopped using nVidia so the miniscule number of add on cards bought for Apple didn't make driver development worthwhile for nVidia as Macs are rather a tiny percentage of PC sales anyway.

But .. Who Cares really? It's not worth continuing a discussion?

Apple Stopped using nVidia so the miniscule number of add on cards bought for Apple didn't make driver development worthwhile for nVidia as Macs are rather a tiny percentage of PC sales anyway.

But .. Who Cares really? It's not worth continuing a discussion?

Ah... That makes sense...

So... It wasn't Apple's fault, was it?

Last edited:
I know we've gone off topic here, but just a thought:

Did NVidia sell more GPUs to Hackintoshers than people with real Mac Pros, by providing the web-drivers?

The difference with FireWire is, it got replaced by Apple in their equipment yes, in much the same way AMD replaced NVidia, but USB was a more logical progression that would (eventually) handle the data-rates and become the most commonly used standard across all platforms.

I know we've gone off topic here, but just a thought:

Did NVidia sell more GPUs to Hackintoshers than people with real Mac Pros, by providing the web-drivers?

The difference with FireWire is, it got replaced by Apple in their equipment yes, in much the same way AMD replaced NVidia, but USB was a more logical progression that would (eventually) handle the data-rates and become the most commonly used standard across all platforms.

Impossible to tell for sure... My guess is hackintoshers...

Back in the day, I bought in to the Firewire thing too. I learned my lesson. I did not embrace Thunderbolt.

Ah... That makes sense...

So... It wasn't Apple's fault, was it?
Not to kick a dead horse lol but .. by Only have a single Video chipset vendor Apple Removed one source of competition and innovation. I kind of Like it that AMD and Intel have to Fight each other for market share.

That's what Apple is doing with their M1/M2/etc. processors - and it will keep Both AMD and Intel .. worried and Innovating!

I'm a bit of a believer in free markets and wish Apple hadn't basically killed the nVidia chipset market for Apple. I don't play games but understand it was preferred if you had the money and it was Certainly preferred for any 3d rendering by all the major players.

Back