Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Is it still worth running a older version of mac?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
CPU
i5 8500
Graphics
RTX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Good afternoon folks. It has been a long time due to work. I am needing to run macOS for a few development projects for work. However, I'm on the Haswel platform, Dell Precision T1700 xeon 1245, 32GB RAM and a 1050 Ti. I am not sure where to start as its been a very long time. I no longer have a Z77 Platform

Regards

Jack

Your GTX 1050 ti is only supported up to High Sierra.

Your GTX 1050 ti is only supported up to High Sierra.

Thanks for the reply :) is it still worth running

Thanks for the reply. Is it still worth running High Sierra? Can you still get the Nvidia web drivers?

Regards

Jack

is it still worth running High Sierra?
I can't decide that for you.

Can you still get the Nvidia web drivers?
There was a problem with the safety certificate but that was resolved.

I can't decide that for you.

There was a problem with the safety certificate but that was resolved.

I see, might be worth using a 760 I still have one of those cards.

Regards

Jack

Hey VoiletDragon,

use SSDTTime to generate all of your SSDT's for your motherboard, the script also works in Linux (the Linux version also dumps your DSDT)
[https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/

I also recommend using the OpenCore bootloader
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
They also have installer instructions for Linux users.

Also @trs96 has done some fantastic work with Dell machines if you need a reference point.

Last edited:
I see, might be worth using a 760 I still have one of those cards.

Regards

Jack
Hey Jack, long time no see. If you missed out on the latest Nvidia and macOS news, have a look here:

The T1700s are nearly identical to the 7020/9020 desktops by Dell. You can use Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur with your 760. That should let you run the latest versions of whatever software you require.

Hey Jack, long time no see. If you missed out on the latest Nvidia and macOS news, have a look here:

The T1700s are nearly identical to the 7020/9020 desktops by Dell. You can use Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur with your 760. That should let you run the latest versions of whatever software you require.

Hey you too :) I am currently installing Snow Leopard using the iBoot Method so i can create the USB Stick. Something to ask is the 760 still natively supported ? I will need to replace the Power Supply in my T1700 for the 760.

Regards

Jack

Something to ask is the 760 still natively supported ? I will need to replace the Power Supply in my T1700 for the 760.
Monterey and later the 760 is not supported. Read the post I linked, it has all the details.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, is it still worth running High Sierra? Can you still get the Nvidia web drivers?

Regards

Jack
Whether it is still worth running High Sierra depends entirely on your own needs.

For me, it is definitely worth it. The main application I run on MacOS besides an internet browser is VMware Fusion 11.5.3 (to run Windows virtual machines from Windows 98 to Windows 10 (and even 11 if I need to, though I have absolutely no intention to)), and it runs beautifully on High Sierra.

Later versions of VMware Fusion (12 / 13) requires Big Sur or later, and have severe performance problems when running nested virtualization (running a virtual machine inside another). So I see no point in upgrading any further and my hacks are and will be staying on Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina for the life of the hardware and I will not upgrade any further.

Back