i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,
Just curious that if it were necessary update or not? I'm running 10.14.3 for now and a bit afraid if it takes some error back on. I've old version of lilu.kext (1.3.4) and whatevergreen.kext (1.2.4) -- only this version work for me, the latest version made my pc blank after reboot. Thank you. Sorry if that's sound too ridiculous. I'm new here

Hi Everyone,
Just curious that if it were necessary update or not? ... I'm new here
It isn't "necessary", really, in my view. I have generally adopted a "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it" attitude as it regards updating. I have running versions on different 'hackintoshes' around here going back into Lion, and they all seem to be perfectly fine and usable... I do like to keep at least ONE being ~up-to-date, though. In fact, I just updated my 'main' to 14.4. However, I probably WOULDN'T have updated yet, if that computer hadn't been 'acting up' due to some unknown software issue (I probably tinkered with something I shouldn't have...). Typically, I may get behind by one or even two major updates.

That said, often there is some new feature, driver or capacity that might drive one to upgrade the OS, even though one's computer is fully functional (E.g., there may be 'new' support for a video card or CPU that one has or wants to use). On the other hand, one's hardware might be the victim of 'power creep' and no longer viable, on a hardware level, to 'keep up' with the newer releases; then it's time to upgrade both HW & SW/OS (in my view), IF one wants/'needs' to keep or stay near the "edge". That doesn't mean one's older HW/SW is no longer functional or usable; maybe just less so than 'newer'.

Long story short, it's all up to you and whatever your wants or needs. Everything working fine (for YOU)? Don't sweat it ;)

Hi Everyone,
Just curious that if it were necessary update or not? I'm running 10.14.3 for now and a bit afraid if it takes some error back on. I've old version of lilu.kext (1.3.4) and whatevergreen.kext (1.2.4) -- only this version work for me, the latest version made my pc blank after reboot. Thank you. Sorry if that's sound too ridiculous. I'm new here

Hello there.

No, it is not necessary that you update - if you don't want to. Check with the Apple download page for the Combo installer and check if there is anything you feel you need.

10.14.3 is pretty recent. It's not out of date. To perform the update you would probably need to update Clover, Lilu and Whatevergreen too and as you mention, that may cause problems.

Otherwise, it is a good idea to leave your system, running well, rather than risk upsetting something, especially if you keep vital information on it :thumbup:

Or you could do a Carbon Copy Cloner / Super Duper clone and then try the update. If everything works fine then all good and well, if not you can always role back to your working clone.

With security updates etc in the latest point release, it is usually a good idea to update if you are connected to the internet. I usually leave it a day or so in case there are any major issues with the update - I'll let others find them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back