Contribute
Register

Is Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800 Processor enough for a budget Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to build a Mavericks based hackintosh. I have an old desktop with the following specs:

• Motherboard: Asus P5G41T-M LX
  • RAM: 2GB RAM
  • Hard Disk: Seagate 80GB
  • CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5800 CPU @ 3.20ghz

Once I had installed Mavericks on this machine and it was working OK from the compatibility side. But the speed was significantly slow. I want to build this hackintosh just for browsing, a little programming, and Music etc. I'm not going to do any graphic intensive work on this machine.

Can you guys please tell me Is Intel Dual-Core E5800 CPU enough for a hackintosh running mavericks for normal usage? And also tell me about RAM. Is the RAM less and that's is the reason why Mavericks in running slow?

I'm planning to upgrade my RAM and add more 4GB to this (Total 6GB of RAM after upgrade).

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to build a Mavericks based hackintosh. I have an old desktop with the following specs:

Once I had installed Mavericks on this machine and it was working OK from the compatibility side. But the speed was significantly slow. I want to build this hackintosh just for browsing, a little programming, and Music etc. I'm not going to do any graphic intensive work on this machine.

Can you guys please tell me Is Intel Dual-Core E5800 CPU enough for a hackintosh running mavericks for normal usage? And also tell me about RAM. Is the RAM less and that's is the reason why Mavericks in running slow?

I'm planning to upgrade my RAM and add more 4GB to this (Total 6GB of RAM after upgrade).

You really want to use an absolute minimum of 4GB RAM - 8GB is really good. If you can use a reasonable GPU then it will also help make things feel more zippy.

Don't spend to much money as a budget modern Ivy Bridge board with 4GB RAM, GPU and a cheap Celeron G1610/Pentium G2020 is far faster. I have a Dell Inspiron 670 with E8400 & 4GB RAM with a GPU and my budget Ivy Bridge build hammers it performance wise.

Adrian B

Hi everyone!

Yes. I would say go for it with a minor adjustment. Try getting something a bit better than an Intel Pentium as they don't work that well (past experience :D)
And yes again! xD RAM is essential for any computer to run fast and to run well as applications need that memory to boot up and be able to be useable. Upgrading to 6GB is good.

Good luck with your installation and build! Just be sure to check the hardware if it is completely, fully compatible with Mavericks to run smoothly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back