Contribute
Register

Is iGPU enough for 4K? Which CPU: i5 or i7? -- config Suggestions for z480 Vision G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z77-DS3H, rev. 1.0
CPU
i5 3,4 GhZ
Graphics
Geforce GTX650
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi TonyMac Comunity,

It's been a while for me, as my current machine did work without much hustle. But it is time to upgrade.

I think I will go with Gigabyte z490 Vision G Motherboard – as I found one online (would prefer the D Version but could find none – or is there a better supported Motherboard you would suggest?)

I have a 42 inch Monitor with 4K, 60Hz, with HDMI / DVI cabel.

The Question I have: Do I need a GPU or will iGPU be enough?

And maybe: Should i go with an i7 and iGPU or with an i5 with GPU?

My CustoMac build could be:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte z490 Vision D
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K (3,80GHz; LGA1200) or?
  3. SSD: WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB High-Performance NVMe M.2 or Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280, 1 TB
  4. RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G26C16U4B 2666 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Kit, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16
  5. Power Supply: 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold or Corsair RM580x 850W Fully Modular Gold Power Supply
  6. GPU: iGPU or? (something from ebay i guess…)
  7. WI-FI: BCM94360CD MQUPIN 1750Mbps 5G WiFi
  8. Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 or better, only air cooled? like: quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU cooler
  9. Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R Mid-Tower-Gaming-Gehäuse or?
I would like to know if you guys would recommend alternatives?

I am even quite unsure if to go with air or water cooling… I would like to have less noise, that's even why I am considering if there is a better case?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi TonyMac Community,

It's been a while for me, as my current machine did work without much hustle. But it is time to upgrade.

I think I will go with Gigabyte z490 Vision G Motherboard – as I found one online (would prefer the D Version but could find none – or is there a better supported Motherboard you would suggest?)

I have a 42 inch Monitor with 4K, 60Hz, with HDMI / DVI cabel.

The Question I have: Do I need a GPU or will iGPU be enough?

And maybe: Should i go with an i7 and iGPU or with an i5 with GPU?

My CustoMac build could be:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte z490 Vision D
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K (3,80GHz; LGA1200) or?
  3. SSD: WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB High-Performance NVMe M.2 or Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280, 1 TB
  4. RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G26C16U4B 2666 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Kit, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16
  5. Power Supply: 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold or Corsair RM580x 850W Fully Modular Gold Power Supply
  6. GPU: iGPU or? (something from ebay i guess…)
  7. WI-FI: BCM94360CD MQUPIN 1750Mbps 5G WiFi
  8. Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 or better, only air cooled? like: quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU cooler
  9. Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R Mid-Tower-Gaming-Gehäuse or?
I would like to know if you guys would recommend alternatives?

I am even quite unsure if to go with air or water cooling… I would like to have less noise, that's even why I am considering if there is a better case?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance
If you are going to use the Z490 Vision G motherboard, note that the motherboard has 2 graphics output ports at the back (DisplayPort / HDMI) that can be used with a CPU with an iGPU.

However, only the DisplayPort port supports 4K@60, the HDMI only supports 4K@30.

Note also that you must use a 10th generation Intel CPU like the i7 10700K or i5 10600K as only these CPUs allow the use of integrated graphics with acceleration in MacOS Catalina and above.

If you want or need to use a dedicated GPU, the type of GPU that can be used depends on the version of MacOS that you need to run :

(1) If you want to run MacOS Monterey, you can use only a supported AMD GPU like the RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580, RX 5500 XT / RX 5600 XT / RX 6700 XT, or the RX 6600 / RX 6600 XT / RX 6800 XT / RX 6900 XT (NOT the RX 6700 XT as that is not supported).
(2) If you want to run MacOS Catalina or Big Sur, you can still use some older Nvidia graphics cards like the GTX 760 in addition to the AMD cards (but note that the RX 6000 series is only supported on MacOS Monterey).

The Golden Build Z490 Vision D being out of stock, you may not find a better fall back than the Vision G in this generation. Non-K CPUs perform just as well as the non-overclocked K, and generate as much heat, so there's a potential saving here.
i7 or i5 depends on how much workload you expect to put on the CPU.
If the case allows, a Noctua NH-U14 or NH-D15S should keep the CPU cool with little or no audible noise. I have no personal experience with beQuiet! coolers, but these should be reasonable alternatives. With liquid cooling, I'd be wary of pump noise in addition to the fans.
The case is purely a matter of personal taste. (My own taste goes for sobriety, like the Fractal Define series—and absolutely nothing with tampered glass, or even "gaming" and related terms in the product name.)

Definitely get an iGPU from the last supported generation, and see how it performs for your needs. If it is satisfactory, you're all set. If not, then it is indeed a matter of what supported AMD dGPU you can get for an acceptable price (keyword is "acceptable"). Nvidia dGPUs are not reasonable options if the build is expected to last for a while, as support for these has already stopped at Big Sur.

Wow, thanks for your replies!

I want to run Monterey and for the long… ;-) I think it will be the last Hackintosh for me, because of M1, but I would like to use this one at least the next 3-5 years…

I just saw that my Monitor has a Display Port, so this should work. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO2QT4M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20)

I think I will then go with an i7-10700 and test if iGPU is enough, else get a card from ebay… iGPU is working without the K, right this is only the overclocking feature, correct?

Thanks for the case and the cooler hints, I just looked for a cheap case, but I also prefer no glass and soundproofed, the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX looks promising, will be researching a bit about which case can carry a Noctuna cooler.

Thanks so far!

I think I will then go with an i7-10700 and test if iGPU is enough, else get a card from ebay… iGPU is working without the K, right this is only the overclocking feature, correct?
Correct.
iGPU-less are the 'F' variants. But a supported iGPU is worth every penny for ease of set up, even for headless use.

Thanks for the case and the cooler hints, I just looked for a cheap case, but I also prefer no glass and soundproofed, the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX looks promising, will be researching a bit about which case can carry a Noctuna cooler.
No case that I know of comes with Noctua fans (too expensive, and Noctua does not make cases). Fractal Design cases come with their own brand quiet fans (not as whisper quiet as Noctuas, but possibly quiet enough). BeQuiet! cases would come with beQuiet! fans.
You can build with the supplied case fans, and swap them later for Noctua if desired.
Check the Noctua Compatibity Center to make sure the CPU cooler fits in the case and does not interfere with the motherboard.

If you're on a quest for perfection… Corsair PSUs are good, but Seasonic cannot be beaten. ;)

Does this make any difference for OpenCore compatibility, or can I just go with the faster Version?
If the motherboard can boot, RAM speed makes no difference for OpenCore.

Edit: 'F' corrected :oops:

Last edited:
Correct.
iGPU-less are the 'K' variants. But a supported iGPU is worth every penny for ease of set up, even for headless use.

Not "F" then? Isn't "K" unlocked?

:)

No case that I know of comes with Noctua fans (too expensive, and Noctua does not make cases). Fractal Design cases come with their own brand quiet fans (not as whisper quiet as Noctuas, but possibly quiet enough). BeQuiet! cases would come with beQuiet! fans.
You can build with the supplied case fans, and swap them later for Noctua if desired.
Check the Noctua Compatibity Center to make sure the CPU cooler fits in the case and does not interfere with the motherboard.
Sorry, I meant the Noctua for the CPU… For the case I will go with the delivered coolers and maybe swap them later, just read about that.

Not "F" then? Isn't "K" unlocked?
Now I am confused. I want to use iGPU! But I think @UtterDisbelief is right, the F Version is without iGPU. K and no K have both IntelGraphics: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/core/Intel-Core-i7-HD-GFX.pdf - right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back