Contribute
Register

Internal disks aren't showing up during Big Sur installation (LGA775)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock G41M-VGS3
CPU
E8500
Graphics
GT 640
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Clover (5130) detects all disks (I dualboot Windows and macOS), but in Disk Utility there's nothing, no disks, no volumes, only installation USB. Did anyone have such problem and how do I fix it? During Catalina installation IOATAFamily.kext solved the issue, but it panics on Big Sur for some reason.
Kexts:
- AAAMouSSE.kext
- AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (internet)
- FakeSMC.kext
- Lilu.kext
- telemetrap.kext
- WhateverGreen.kext
Motherboard: ASRock G41M-VGS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Attachments

• bigsur775.jpg
    bigsur775.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 32
Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 19.14.11.png

You have duplicate kexts and they are different versions.

Remove the duplicate.

Clear NVRAM and boot with -f UseKernelCache=No

View attachment 557737

You have duplicate kexts and they are different versions.

Clear NVRAM and boot with -f UseKernelCache=No
I rechecked my kexts folder multiple times; there's no way I have duplicates. In Clover, do I have to click F11 and restart in order to clear NVRAM?

Try using AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext only.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 2.06.08 PM.png

I rechecked my kexts folder multiple times; there's no way I have duplicates. In Clover, do I have to click F11 and restart in order to clear NVRAM?

Which kext folders did you check?

(Remember there are three possible ones).

Otherwise ZIP and upload your EFI folder so we can check it. (Blank your serial-number first).

Which kext folders did you check?

(Remember there are three possible ones).

Otherwise ZIP and upload your EFI folder so we can check it. (Blank your serial-number first).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
1) Well the reason things don't work - and that @P1LGRIM was correct in post #2 above - is that you do have two IOATAFamily.kexts on your system. The early Mojave one you have put in your EFI folder and the normal Big Sur version in the System/Library/Extensions folder.

Just putting a kext in the EFI folder will not override a system kext. And because the EFI kext is not cached, the system kext will conflict.

2) The "telemetrap.kext" is unknown to me. It is by a company called Syncretic and seems to be a driver-kext, so should be installed properly in the ~/Library/Extensions folder.

3) What does the AAAMouSSE.kext do? Is this another driver?

4) Be wary of the *.efi drivers you use. I would expect only:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi
OpenRuntime.efi
VBoxHfs.efi

... initially.

1) Well the reason things don't work - and that @P1LGRIM was correct in post #2 above - is that you do have two IOATAFamily.kexts on your system. The early Mojave one you have put in your EFI folder and the normal Big Sur version in the System/Library/Extensions folder.

Just putting a kext in the EFI folder will not override a system kext. And because the EFI kext is not cached, the system kext will conflict.

2) The "telemetrap.kext" is unknown to me. It is by a company called Syncretic and seems to be a driver-kext, so should be installed properly in the ~/Library/Extensions folder.

3) What does the AAAMouSSE.kext do? Is this another driver?

4) Be wary of the *.efi drivers you use. I would expect only:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi
OpenRuntime.efi
VBoxHfs.efi

... initially.
1. Sooo... what do I have to do? Format my disk? Remake my USB?
2. It's used for bypassing the SSE4,2 requirement; I saw people installing Catalina with this thing in the kexts folder.
3. Also needed for bypassing SSE4,2 thing.
4. Noted :D

1. Sooo... what do I have to do? Format my disk? Remake my USB?
2. It's used for bypassing the SSE4,2 requirement; I saw people installing Catalina with this thing in the kexts folder.
3. Also needed for bypassing SSE4,2 thing.
4. Noted :D

1) Depends on what you are trying to do?

2) & 3) Okay

Well, there isn't a Big Sur build here that uses the E8500 CPU, but I would suspect that although Catalina worked, Big Sur might be complaining.

Things to try:

Add the "-no_compat_check" boot command.

If the system is Legacy and not UEFI, then you need an HFS driver such as HfsPlus.efi or VBoxHfs.efi in the Drivers/BIOS folder.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back