Contribute
Register

Intermittent freezing on 10.12.6 - 7700k / Maximus IX Hero / GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a GTX 1080 and have gone about 2 weeks between restarts without any freezing. It just sleeps during inactivity and wakes when I need it to. Therefore, I don't think there's an issue with the Nvidia web drivers with the GTX 1080.

The Nvidia web drivers really don't have any configurations. They are either enabled or not.

Try with the following changes to your config.plist:
  • In SMBIOS section, enable "Trust"
  • In System Parameters section, change "Inject Kexts" to "Detect".

Ok, I put these changes in place. I have one app that can usually cause the error. HDHomeRun which lets you watch live TV. If I try to resize the windows while video is playing, on the Intel GPU its fine, on the Nvidia 1080 it locks up. This time it managed to recover after about 20 seconds, and I was able to capture this:

Code:
Mon Aug 28 17:24:00 2017

Event:               GPU Reset
Date/Time:           Mon Aug 28 17:24:00 2017
Application:         HDHomeRun
Path:              
Tailspin:            /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/gpuRestart2017-08-28-172400.tailspin
GPUSubmission Trace ID: 0
OS Version:          Mac OS X Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29)
Graphics Hardware:   NVIDIA Chip Model
Signature:           0

Report Data:

NVDA(DMA): Channel timeout!
Channel Info: [39, 0x29, 0x18, 0x295]
Version Info: [com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb, 10.1.8, 0x4e554e, 22510759, 378.05.05.25f01, 1]

I should add this isn't the only app that can cause the freeze. Sometimes it will happen just while looking through files / folders with Finder, without that app open. Again so far the Intel GPU hasn't frozen, but I haven't put in a full day's worth of testing yet.

If that's the only application that does that, it could be one of two things - a bug in the nVidia web drivers, or, HDHomeRun...

Might try sending that to HDHomeRun as I doubt it is an nVidia bug (but not ruling that out).

If that's the only application that does that, it could be one of two things - a bug in the nVidia web drivers, or, HDHomeRun...

Might try sending that to HDHomeRun as I doubt it is an nVidia bug (but not ruling that out).

I added a note to my last post. The freeze also happens with just Finder open (the most common culprit actually) I just use this app as a fast way to test if I'm going to freeze, since I can almost always reproduce it.

Do you have any other applications (including in in the top bar) running?

Do you have any other applications (including in in the top bar) running?

No, for troubleshooting purposes I've run with nothing in the top bar, and no browsers open, and still had it lock up, especially while expanding / contracting the contents of a folder with Finder, or browsing around different nodes on the left side of the Console window.

Hmm... I don't know what could be causing that. I've spent time with Console and have never encountered anything like this.

Hmm... I don't know what could be causing that. I've spent time with Console and have never encountered anything like this.

I know its a stretch, but I have a 21 x 9 "ultrawide" monitor. 3440 x 1440 resolution. I wonder if that plays into it. I keep it in DisplayPort 1.1 mode instead of 1.2 as I read somewhere 1.2 doesn't play well with our hacks.

I use DisplayPort 1.2 for 60Hz at 4K.

I use DisplayPort 1.2 for 60Hz at 4K.

Good to know. I haven't had a "Finder freeze" yet today after making your changes, only the HDHomeRun one I mentioned earlier. I'll use the machine for work all day tomorrow, and see if the Finder freezes are gone or not. Thanks again for the suggested changes. :)

Yes, DP 1.2 is a must! My system did not like any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back