Contribute
Register

Intel Nuc 2.0 (Broadwell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to seem demanding or out of line as I'm new to the OSX86 community, and to tonymac.

I have a Broadwell NUC 2.0 box (the i5 version) but I'll be blunt that I've become confused on the latest working configuration for the i5 Broadwell box and how to get it running.

Would it be possible for someone from the community to post instructions and a config package for the latest known working condition? The hardware should be the same with the exception of the RAM and SSD (which I believe shouldn't make a difference).

I greatly appreciate all the work this community is doing!

Thanks!

Baldock88, for the NUC5i5 running Yosemite, I'd follow the procedure in post #185 of this thread.

I'm working on a procedure for the NUC for El Capitan, because the NUC5i7 has graphical issues on Yosemite. I only have an i7, but I don't think anybody's complained about the graphics problems on the i5, so it should be fine with Yosemite. If you really want El Capitan, hold on a day or two and I'll have a better writeup together.

NUC5i7 on El Capitan recap: After a clean install, I'm very happy with it. Power while relatively idle is 2-3W, temps 40-50 degrees C, and the GPU does seem to go down below 400 MHz (It seems to be hanging around at 0.35 GHz while I'm writing this). Ethernet works, sound through the headphone jack is super, my USB3 stick is showing 5 Gb/sec USB3 speed. Not a single graphical glitch in all the time I've been using El Capitan.

The only remaining issue is that the i7 CPU still shows as an i5 in System Information ("3.09 GHz Intel Core i5" on the About This Mac screen). I wonder if I'd need to change the SMBIOS settings to a 13" MBP Early 2015 to get the right CPU name to show? Still, the speed seems fine (up to 3.4 GHz, GeekBench 3298/6960), so I think that's just a display issue.

Looks like the same version to me -- To install Clover to the USB I double-clicked on Clover_v2.3k_r3259.pkg

On my fresh install, I re-downloaded El Capitan from the App Store on a Yosemite machine. It doesn't have a version number in the App Store listing. The app /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan Public Beta has version 1.7.25. The initial install to the NUC reports OS version 10.11 Beta (15A262e). But again, USB3 wasn't working on the NUC and there was an update available in App Store there called OS X El Capitan Public Beta 6 (to the tune of 2.46 GB). So I guess the installer they gave me in the initial download wasn't actually for the most current beta?

After the update my OS version is 10.11 Beta (15A278b), and USB3 is working.

Note that I don't bother with the version specific directories (although I think they work).

I just place all my kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and remove the other directories. It is very rare that I want different kexts for different versions of OS X.

Note that I don't bother with the version specific directories (although I think they work).

I just place all my kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and remove the other directories. It is very rare that I want different kexts for different versions of OS X.

Huh -- I didn't realize it worked that way. I was figuring "other" was for "a version other than one of the ones that's listed". I'll just try Other, then! :)

Update: it seems like removing the other directories is a critical step. If I put the kexts in Other but leave the numbered dirs there, it doesn't work, but if I remove the numbered dirs, then it will read them out of Other.

RehabMan: Can you clarify your post here about IONetworkingFamily? I have AppleIntelE1000e.kext in my EFI partition. That was nice because the very first boot post-install already had Ethernet working. Booting to the Recovery partition does have networking access, even though I didn't force IONetworkingFamily to load. When would it be the case that it needs to be forced to load?

And I've seen recommendations that people put fewer kexts on the EFI partition and more in /S/L/E. Do you think the network driver should go in /S/L/E instead? If so, can you explain why?

Thanks!

Baldock88, for the NUC5i5 running Yosemite, I'd follow the procedure in post #185 of this thread.

I'm working on a procedure for the NUC for El Capitan, because the NUC5i7 has graphical issues on Yosemite. I only have an i7, but I don't think anybody's complained about the graphics problems on the i5, so it should be fine with Yosemite. If you really want El Capitan, hold on a day or two and I'll have a better writeup together.

Thanks for your help ammulder!

I'll definitely wait for your guide for El Capitan and see if your guide works on the i5. I'll give Yosemite a shot so I can get used to the installation process.

El Capitan on the Broadwell NUC 5i5 and 5i7

Guides are probably best posted as a separate thread, so the content can be found in post #1.

Let me know if you want me to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back