Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

I tried this repo here with Monterey >>

nuc10i7_monterey.jpg

And I'm happy to report that it does work rather well.

My 4K monitor gets 60Hz via HDMI 2.0, sound is working over HDMI and USB-C. The monitor is recognized as a 5K/UHD+ (quad 1440p), even though it's a native 3840x2160 display, but then again, this happened on my NUC8 and my Lenovo T580 as well.

Thunderbolt is working as well. I tested Thunderbolt with a UAD Arrow. Hotplugging is somewhat flaky. It worked once, it doesn't work a second time and needs a reboot after that. But it IS working.

So yeah, I think I'll keep this little box around until we've all moved to M1, ARM-Hackintoshes or VMs. ;)

My 4K monitor gets 60Hz via HDMI 2.0, sound is working over HDMI and USB-C. The monitor is recognized as a 5K/UHD+ (quad 1440p), even though it's a native 3840x2160 display, but then again, this happened on my NUC8 and my Lenovo T580 as well.

. ;)
Seems that kernel/patch fix HDMI audio...

<key>Patch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>Any</string>
<key>Base</key>
<string></string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>HDMI&amp;DP_Audio</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>DgAAuHCdAADrBpA=</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>as.vit9696.AppleALC</string>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data></data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string></string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string></string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>DgAAuEijAADrBpA=</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data></data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</array>

I tried this repo here with Monterey >>

View attachment 535800
And I'm happy to report that it does work rather well.

Thunderbolt is working as well. I tested Thunderbolt with a UAD Arrow. Hotplugging is somewhat flaky. It worked once, it doesn't work a second time and needs a reboot after that. But it IS working.

So yeah, I think I'll keep this little box around until we've all moved to M1, ARM-Hackintoshes or VMs. ;)
What do your Geekbench Open CL and Metal scores look like out of curiosity? It used to be the NUC8 would kick the NUC10's butt because the graphics acceleration couldn't be enabled. I'm wondering if that was resolved, it would make it a much interesting box.

Geekbench 5 >>
Single-Core 966
Multi-Core 5941
OpenCL 5014
Metal 4381

Detailed report as pdf (I edited the PDF in Acrobat to get rid of the clutter and padding).

Attachments

• geekbench5_nuc10i7.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Geekbench 5 >>
Single-Core 966
Multi-Core 5941
OpenCL 5014
Metal 4381

Detailed report as pdf (I edited the PDF in Acrobat to get rid of the clutter and padding).
See this post here, graphics acceleration is apparently still an issue. The NUC8 has scores in the 800s.

Bummer. Maybe they'll fix it in whatevergreen someday. For what I'm doing with this thing, I'm set though - a little bit of light Photoshop/Lightroom, mostly DAW/music production work and a little bit of O365 for work.

Bummer. Maybe they'll fix it in whatevergreen someday. For what I'm doing with this thing, I'm set though - a little bit of light Photoshop/Lightroom, mostly DAW/music production work and a little bit of O365 for work.
Sure, it's unlikely it will be fixed without Apple adopting that processor and writing drivers for the iGPU. That ship has sailed I'm afraid but if it works for you what does it matter?

What do your Geekbench Open CL and Metal scores look like out of curiosity? It used to be the NUC8 would kick the NUC10's butt because the graphics acceleration couldn't be enabled. I'm wondering if that was resolved, it would make it a much interesting box.
@Leesureone

The referenced GitHub EFI for Monterey did get sound through HDMI and DP to my LG Ultrawide monitor which I hadn't managed to get before. Hot plugging TB3 works with an external SSD drive enclosure, as well as a USB-C drive in the TB3 port. This EFI is an improvement over what I had.

Geekbench 5 score for Monterey OpenCL was 4970, Metal was 4560. Windows 11 OpenCL was 6119.

My geekbench for NUC 10 i7 /Monterey :

Single-Core 1258
Multi-Core 5602
OpenCL 4912
Metal 4607

This is ok. NUC 8 gen was equipped with better graphic , NUC 10 Gen has better CPU .
Open CL is not suported by macos as windows. Apple goes to metal .

Just to compare, I ran Geekbench on my Lenovo T580 Catalina machine, i7-8550u with UHD 620 (with the exact same RAM configuration):
Single Core 1020
Multi Core 3392
Metal 4601
Nuc10 i7-10710u with UHD620 seems to be consistent with "other" UHD620. Or am I missing something?

Back