Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

I can now confirm that the latest release, Alpha/Beta, of the Intel wireless kext (AirportItlwm-Catalina-v1.2.0-DEBUG-alpha-6b22398) works natively with the NUC 10's Intel wireless card !!!
That sounded so exciting, that I had to instanly try it out. And YES! I can confirm it too. The alpha version works without helliport. Nice one! But the quality of the wifi sadly didn't change. The connection itself is pretty slow compared to other devices. The repeater it's connected to is just 2-3m away in the same room. The Repeater says it's using 5Ghz but with only 117Mbit/s. All the other devices in this room (some even on the same table) show up between 780Mbit/s - 1,3Gbit/s (5Ghz, too).

Does it work better for you?

That sounded so exciting, that I had to instanly try it out. And YES! I can confirm it too. The alpha version works without helliport. Nice one! But the quality of the wifi sadly didn't change. The connection itself is pretty slow compared to other devices. The repeater it's connected to is just 2-3m away in the same room. The Repeater says it's using 5Ghz but with only 117Mbit/s. All the other devices in this room (some even on the same table) show up between 780Mbit/s - 1,3Gbit/s (5Ghz, too).

Does it work better for you?
Do me a favor and reboot and see if it still works.. I rebooted and now it shows the wireless icon on the menu bar but does not function otherwise... Strange... Let me know your results..

Update:

This is strange. If I powered off the whole unit and then brought it up, everything works again ?? Also, I am dual booting, Windows 10 on 256 Gig M2 and Mac OS on an internal 1TB SSD. Also using Opencore 0.6.3 I believe.

If not powering off on boot I would also see at times the apple symbol with the cross through it ?

Hmmm... Let me see if I can reproduce all of this.

Last edited:
Sure. Did a restart: it was instanly there and connected. did a shut down, then booted again, there and connected. but after the shutdown it first connected to the 2,4ghz network, then disconnected and reconnected to 5ghz after some seconds.

On another overwiew page in my repeater I also noticed, that it's using wifi4, whereas all the other devices use wifi5. so that's maybe one reason why it's slower.

Sure. Did a restart: it was instanly there and connected. did a shut down, then booted again, there and connected. but after the shutdown it first connected to the 2,4ghz network, then disconnected and reconnected to 5ghz after some seconds.

On another overwiew page in my repeater I also noticed, that it's using wifi4, whereas all the other devices use wifi5. so that's maybe one reason why it's slower.
Hmmm. I also played with the MTU size and it really didn't make much of a difference. I suspect their still getting the driver situated. I get about 30 down and 10 up. On Windows on the same machine, a much different story :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 3.33.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 3.33.13 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 223
Hello,
could anybody please help me?
- I installed the latest Big-Sur Updates and right now Bluetooth is no longer working.
- How can I change the items of the OpenCore Boot-list? I would like to set my SSD as number 1

Thanks

- I installed the latest Big-Sur Updates and right now Bluetooth is no longer working.
This Thread is under Catalina Support.
make a new thread for Big Sur please
It's time I guess.
---

How can I change the items of the OpenCore Boot-list? I would like to set my SSD as number 1
As far as I know you can't change the items (but I don't know too much on this topic). If you want to change your default boot drive you can do it by using the "Startup Disk" utility on macOS.

This Thread is under Catalina Support.

It's time I guess.
---

As far as I know you can't change the items (but I don't know too much on this topic). If you want to change your default boot drive you can do it by using the "Startup Disk" utility on macOS.

Continuation in Big Sur

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking. I updated to the lastest OpenCore 0.6.3 along with all my kext to the most recent version. I am using the latest Catalina 10.5.7 19H15 and it has been working perfectly. No issues at all and I use the computer a daily driver.

I just wanted to compare the performance of the NUC10i7 to the recently release Mac mini with M1 chip. The performance different, at least, on GeekBench 5 is pretty impressive:

My NUC10i7 hackintosh:
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.27.38 PM.png

New MacMini 2020 M1:
dKueVjLQhznt4undZZ9UoX-970-80.jpg

MultiCore:
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.35.21 PM.png

They are synthetic benchmarks but personally, the primary results is pretty impressive gains over the Intel Macs. Anyways, just wanted to post this. I'll keep my hackintosh for years since its an awesome little beast still and awesome little everyday computer. :)

Hello everyone,

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking. I updated to the lastest OpenCore 0.6.3 along with all my kext to the most recent version. I am using the latest Catalina 10.5.7 19H15 and it has been working perfectly. No issues at all and I use the computer a daily driver.

I just wanted to compare the performance of the NUC10i7 to the recently release Mac mini with M1 chip. The performance different, at least, on GeekBench 5 is pretty impressive:

My NUC10i7 hackintosh:
View attachment 496714

New MacMini 2020 M1:

MultiCore:

They are synthetic benchmarks but personally, the primary results is pretty impressive gains over the Intel Macs. Anyways, just wanted to post this. I'll keep my hackintosh for years since its an awesome little beast still and awesome little everyday computer. :)
Cool, what do you have it plugged into ? HDMI ? Thunderbolt ? Just curious.. Any sleep/wake issues ? Color tint issues ?

Back